• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Probably, my 2.1 system

yigitboy

Hi,
I have been reading a lot, searching and making questions, and finally Ihave a solid proposal of a decent 2.1 entre level setup.

The amp is one of the best Aiyima, the Aiyima 08 Pro.
The sub it is going to be a 10" sealed one: KEF Q400B.
And for speakers, which I need them to be small, I am thinking in buying the Dali Zensor Pico, whose specs are these:
62 - 26.500 Hz
Sensibility 84 dB
Imp 6 ohms
SPL 103
230x141x196

I would like to ask to all the community what do you think about not only the speakers, but even MORE IMPORTANT, the relation between the frequency of the subwoofer and the lower of the speaker, 62hz. Would it be better if the speaker frequency goes lower? Or it doesn't matter because the subwoofer is there for a reason and it would be the same if speakers gi down to 45hz?

I have an alternative: Tannuy Mercury 7.1, which I would love to have, but they are bigger (not so much) and when sitting on the desk of the room intented for the speakers, I am at 1m distance to the speakers, and maybe is better the smaller they are. Tannuy specs:
53hz-32Khz
Sensibility: 87db
160x270x194mm

Didn't find the flat response measurement of any of both.

Thanks
I made that mistake by buying small speakers to use with my subwoofer. There became an absence in upper bass and lower mids. Also if you get a better performer speaker you will have more chance to play with overlapping frequencies. With small speakers you will be limited

OP
Z

Zeppelin

In my experience, less energy put into room modes, the better.
Just to be sure to understand you, "room modes" mean DSP or Linkwitz?
Since Low Frequencies are omni directional in nature, they don't have to be coming at you from the mains to sound like they are coming from the phantom image.
I have read something about this and it seemed to me the sub should be between the speakers. I don't know if this is right, but I hope it is not in order to have major freedom to place it.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

I made that mistake by buying small speakers to use with my subwoofer
Which small speakers did you buy?

And also want to coment to you all I would like to place the speakers inclined at something like 15°. I will send a scheme of the room in a few days, but there are 2 listening-from spots, one is at the desk, the other is while sitting at the bed with my back at the wall, so it is a little lower.

I saw it was ok for some speakers to be placed like, but don't know if for all is good. What is your advice?

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

Just to be sure to understand you, "room modes" mean DSP or Linkwitz?
Room modes = standing waves. They are the frequencies which cause issues because of your room dimensions. For instance, in North America 8' ceilings are very common, so there is always a room mode at 140hz (peak) (give or take since the room could be 7'11"). You'd also have a problem with the lower order which is 70hz (null). Room modes can cause very deep nulls and very high peaks, if close to a boundry(ies) they can be even more amplified.

yigitboy

Which small speakers did you buy?

And also want to coment to you all I would like to place the speakers inclined at something like 15°. I will send a scheme of the room in a few days, but there are 2 listening-from spots, one is at the desk, the other is while sitting at the bed with my back at the wall, so it is a little lower.

I saw it was ok for some speakers to be placed like, but don't know if for all is good. What is your advice?
Edifier MR4

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Room modes = standing waves. They are the frequencies which cause issues because of your room dimensions. For instance, in North America 8' ceilings are very common, so there is always a room mode at 140hz (peak) (give or take since the room could be 7'11"). You'd also have a problem with the lower order which is 70hz (null). Room modes can cause very deep nulls and very high peaks, if close to a boundry(ies) they can be even more amplified.
Ok, I imagined something like this, that's why I asked about DSP as a way of EQ.

If someone can tell me about if it would be a bad Idea to set the speakers in a 20 degrees downwards it would be very good, as will start on monday to prepare everything for setting them up.

Thanks ASR community!

ozzy9832001

Ok, I imagined something like this, that's why I asked about DSP as a way of EQ.

If someone can tell me about if it would be a bad Idea to set the speakers in a 20 degrees downwards it would be very good, as will start on monday to prepare everything for setting them up.

Thanks ASR community!
Downward from where exactly? How high would they be up? I've never had good luck with downward angled speakers, but that could be me. They never sound quite right.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Downward from where exactly? How high would they be up? I've never had good luck with downward angled speakers, but that could be me. They never sound quite right.
The speakers are in front of me, not in an ideal position. And sadly they can only go to 1 position, so can't play with that. One is in a corner, but not straigth to the wall, let's say the speaker is almost perpendicular with the wall corner. The other is on a shelve, and can move it to the edge of the shelve to don't have any sound reflection problems. They both are/will be at the same heigth at 160cm aprox.

Now I have all the elements of the setup (speakers, subwoofer, amp and good cables) it's time to draw a sketch of the room and share it to you all and listen for your advices, even if the speakers can't go anywhere else. Subwoofer can be moved.

Maybe it would be better to create a new thread about the specific topic.

@ozzy9832001 which problems did you have positioning your speakers sligthly downwards?

ozzy9832001

The speakers are in front of me, not in an ideal position. And sadly they can only go to 1 position, so can't play with that. One is in a corner, but not straigth to the wall, let's say the speaker is almost perpendicular with the wall corner. The other is on a shelve, and can move it to the edge of the shelve to don't have any sound reflection problems. They both are/will be at the same heigth at 160cm aprox.

Now I have all the elements of the setup (speakers, subwoofer, amp and good cables) it's time to draw a sketch of the room and share it to you all and listen for your advices, even if the speakers can't go anywhere else. Subwoofer can be moved.

Maybe it would be better to create a new thread about the specific topic.

@ozzy9832001 which problems did you have positioning your speakers sligthly downwards?
Are the speakers equidistant from the MLP? You'll still get reflections from the sidewalls, ceiling and floor regardless that's just how it works. One of my speakers is about 30" from corner and 12" from front wall. We do the best we can with what we have.

As for pointing them downward, it's really a matter of taste. If the speakers are too high, your mind can almost tell they are above you and the sound can appear weird. It's difficult to describe. At 160cm or 62", they may not have that issue or need to be pointed down at all. Depends on the directivity of the tweeter and what it's off axis response is. May cut down on the treble a bit, but depending on what you are listening to it might not be a big difference. I'd try both pointed straight and angled and see what you like best.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Are the speakers equidistant from the MLP? You'll still get reflections from the sidewalls, ceiling and floor regardless that's just how it works. One of my speakers is about 30" from corner and 12" from front wall. We do the best we can with what we have.

As for pointing them downward, it's really a matter of taste. If the speakers are too high, your mind can almost tell they are above you and the sound can appear weird. It's difficult to describe. At 160cm or 62", they may not have that issue or need to be pointed down at all. Depends on the directivity of the tweeter and what it's off axis response is. May cut down on the treble a bit, but depending on what you are listening to it might not be a big difference. I'd try both pointed straight and angled and see what you like best.
Yes there is a equilater triangle with them and me, at least on one of the 2 listening positions, which is the desk. When I move to the other listening position it becomes an isoseles triangle, and I am a bit lower than the other listening position, that's why the idea of making them look slightly downwards.

In some days, when I finish some stuff I will create the new thread with a scheme of the room and all the info needed.

Thanks to you all

Top Bottom