• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proac Response 1SC / small oldies

Roy_L

I'm considering to arrange a small-room secondary system, and I want it to have a "vintage" vibe.
Regarding speakers for that purpose, the Proac Response 1SC's are considered a classic by some people on the internet. :)
For some reason, it's been the inspiration for many clones and copies. I actually heard them on a few occasions in small rooms and was pleasantly surprised, but it was years ago, so I don't trust my impression.

Do they hold any merit, from an objective standpoint? Here are Stereophile's measurements:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/proac-response-one-sc-loudspeaker-measurements

I can clearly see the mid-bass bump, which is probably why the speakers were "surprising", although I also remember some pleasant vocals (for what that distant memory is worth).
Anyone has any thoughts on these? Or a recommendation for something else, similar in nature? (i.e. small oldies but goodies)

DSJR

Major Contributor
They SSSSSparkled unnaturally when new but hey, it's called DEEEEETAIL to the uninitiated and the audiophiles of the time loved it! Today, it's as bad as B&W's or PMC's up top, the audible hf peak probably coming in lower... It's not always response shape, but the driver matching as well. Looks like loads going on off axis in the mid kHz region, but I heard an excess sparkle whenever I demmed them. Bass was small box bouncy so as expected.

Top Bottom