• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro Musician needs new speakers for home studio

WaynesterUK

Hi everybody, need a bit of help… I’ve got a Behringer QX1832USB Mixer at home, all my 6 x keyboards go into it in STEREO, then from the desk it goes into my Yamaha HS7 Speakers, no matter what EQ settings I try and play with on the desk, my Korg Kronos and Yamaha Montage (when playing pianos) sound awful!! Speakers sound Sort of honky and boxy sounding, I’ve no idea if it’s the speakers I need to sell or the desk and get someat else? anyone had the HS7 speakers and found a similar issue? When I put headphones on and play my keyboards it sounds amazing! Racking my brains trying to figure this out when I see demos of these keyboards on YouTube, mine do not sound like that ‍♂️♂️

Maybe I just need to sell these speakers and get another make and model?

I’m using balanced cables

Attachments

• B8C0775E-F61A-4606-AA12-EBA60A124D7B.jpeg
    B8C0775E-F61A-4606-AA12-EBA60A124D7B.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 153
  • ED171D12-68CE-4658-B1AA-8A4B0AEC9E59.jpeg
    ED171D12-68CE-4658-B1AA-8A4B0AEC9E59.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 159
  • 8587F891-FB74-4786-913C-DADDB658ED49.jpeg
    8587F891-FB74-4786-913C-DADDB658ED49.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 151
  • C41CBF61-504E-452A-A1DA-690609C1E338.jpeg
    C41CBF61-504E-452A-A1DA-690609C1E338.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 9475FFBE-5A7B-4693-89B4-0E19B96B8707.jpeg
    9475FFBE-5A7B-4693-89B4-0E19B96B8707.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 07660EFC-3F3C-4C31-A3E4-058B94E037BF.jpeg
    07660EFC-3F3C-4C31-A3E4-058B94E037BF.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 219

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hi everybody, need a bit of help… I’ve got a Behringer QX1832USB Mixer at home, all my 6 x keyboards go into it in STEREO, then from the desk it goes into my Yamaha HS7 Speakers, no matter what EQ settings I try and play with on the desk, my Korg Kronos and Yamaha Montage (when playing pianos) sound awful!! Speakers sound Sort of honky and boxy sounding, I’ve no idea if it’s the speakers I need to sell or the desk and get someat else? anyone had the HS7 speakers and found a similar issue? When I put headphones on and play my keyboards it sounds amazing! Racking my brains trying to figure this out when I see demos of these keyboards on YouTube, mine do not sound like that ‍♂️♂️

Maybe I just need to sell these speakers and get another make and model?

I’m using balanced cables
Do you sit or stand when playing? Is the right speaker also in a corner?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Long story short:
  1. Get higher stands or put pads under your speakers to get them up a bit higher (to make sure the keyboards don't block the direct sound from the keyboards; see 3).
  2. Don't put anything on your speakers (it will change the radiation pattern, see 3; might introduce vibration).
  3. Buy the Neumann KH80s or KH120s, or any speaker with excellent directivity (sound radiates 360 degrees from a speaker, but not with equal strength in every direction; the KH80s are very even horizontally and vertically and will gracefully handle most positions, even if not ideally located, including sounding even and consistent whether you are sitting, standing or whatever).
Ideally, you would have a measurement microphone, measure the sound and match what you're getting from each speaker with EQ and dial in a tilt to taste. This is the single best thing you can do for better sound beyond getting new speakers. It's kind of an involved process, though, and will need a bunch of research on your part.

nahuel

I'm a musician and mixing engineer. I would first try to check for room acoustics issues. Check youtube videos from Adam or other channels to properly place the speakers in the room. Get a measurement microphone and Room Eq Wizard and learn how to measure you room. See if there are problems with that.

I use Eve Audio sc307s (vertically, in mtm config dispersion is usually better this way) and they have all the resolution, detail and low distortion i need to get work done.

What's your budget? On a budget, Eves are great. Neumann/Focals will sound duller in comparison. By that i mean that the presentation will have nore detail on the Eves. Those other brands are great, but with more midrange focus (i use a second focal cms40 and avantone for reference, but i don't really need them since i learned the Eves). Check them out!

If you have the money, check 3 way speakers from Eve, Adam, Genelec, and all the major active speakers manufacturers! Try them.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sit and stand

If there's significant elevation change like this I'd go with a coaxial like the Kali IN-5 so things sound the same whether you are standing or sitting, personally. If that's in budget.

Otherwise, Kali LP-6 are the best option under $250/ea IMO.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you try them on a different interface than the mixer you're currently using? Just to make sure there's nothing wonky going on there. I'd first try to make sure everything else is in order before shelling out for new speakers.

Cool synths, btw! I use a ASM Hydrasynth Explorer and an Arturia Microfreak nowadays, but I've always had Korg Tritons in the past. :)

sfdoddsy

If there's significant elevation change like this I'd go with a coaxial like the Kali IN-5 so things sound the same whether you are standing or sitting, personally. If that's in budget.

Otherwise, Kali LP-6 are the best option under $250/ea IMO.
Agreed. Whatever the merits of your Yamahas, they and similar monitors are designed for static listening horizontally and especially vertically.

So I would also try coaxes.

Your setup as per the photos is also unlikely to be ideal, but a good coax gives you a better chance

nahuel

I just saw your pictures. That speaker in the corner can't be good at all.

OP
WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

I'm a musician and mixing engineer. I would first try to check for room acoustics issues. Check youtube videos from Adam or other channels to properly place the speakers in the room. Get a measurement microphone and Room Eq Wizard and learn how to measure you room. See if there are problems with that.

I use Eve Audio sc307s (vertically, in mtm config dispersion is usually better this way) and they have all the resolution, detail and low distortion i need to get work done.

What's your budget? On a budget, Eves are great. Neumann/Focals will sound duller in comparison. By that i mean that the presentation will have nore detail on the Eves. Those other brands are great, but with more midrange focus (i use a second focal cms40 and avantone for reference, but i don't really need them since i learned the Eves). Check them out!

If you have the money, check 3 way speakers from Eve, Adam, Genelec, and all the major active speakers manufacturers! Try them.
I do not have a budget of that amount for those speakers

audio2920

Yep +1 for IN5 for that setup/use.

But I'd be surprised if the corner placement of that left speaker isn't a major contributing factor, because of asymmetry, as well as elevated LF level generally.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Too far apart, too close to the wall, base on my experince owning MSP7.

OP
WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

So guys… managed to sell my HS7’s

Thinking about ordering the JBL 308P MKII to replace them… a better sounding speaker than my horrid HS7’s ?

Thoughts?

My maximum budget for 2 speakers is £400 British, may be able to stretch to Kali Audio IN-5, but they are smaller speakers?

audio2920

JBL 3-series is always a reasonable choice. IN5 is likely better still, in most ways.

If you don't mind hiss, you'd probably get a [new old stock] pair of the V1 IN8s for less money than IN5. The hiss is very mellow in terms of spectral content, so it never offended me as it wasn't that aggressive HF sizzle you get off some monitors. Think 1/4" analogue tape levels of SNR.

To throw some other names out there that perform well at around 200 each: KRK RP7 G4, Focal Alpha 50 Evo, Adam T7 or T8V.

Kali IN series is, IMHO, a slight step up from any of these and a really surprisingly good all-rounder.

OP
WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

I’m doing any mixing at home
Just got YouTube and mp3s or waves playing through whatever speakers I buy, and obviously my keyboards while I sing - here’s a pic or 2 on a link of how everything is setup in my music room

I don’t have a lot of choice for my new speakers as they have to go on stands

OP
WaynesterUK

WaynesterUK

If you have a look on Thomann, my budget is £400

but I can get the 20% VAT off of a pair of speakers on there as my friend lives in Jersey, so could in theory get a more expensive pair ?

Digby

Major Contributor
I hope it's OK to mention, but I have a pair of JBL LSR308 MKIIs for sale. Only used to test they work, then put them away for a project, never got round to it, so they are up for sale:

Top Bottom