• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra - Need disk image copy

aris

Audio Company
I bought one of these recently, and was enjoying it fully, until for some reason I decided to install a base level Raspbian Buster without first making a copy of the default Volumio installed disk!

Now of course I discover that the BT/Wifi chipset (LM811 based, so using Realtek 8723BU Linux driver is broken (at least on Buster), and I simply cannot get Wifi to work in a performant manner.

Would anyone who has one of these be able to copy the disk image and put it on Dropbox or similar? I haven't seen any such on Pro-Ject's website.

I must admit that I'm somewhat bemused that for a project that is open source aligned, that a BT/Wifi card wasn't chosen that has more/better support in Linux.

Any help appreciated!

Aris

Krunok

Major Contributor
I bought one of these recently, and was enjoying it fully, until for some reason I decided to install a base level Raspbian Buster without first making a copy of the default Volumio installed disk!

Now of course I discover that the BT/Wifi chipset (LM811 based, so using Realtek 8723BU Linux driver is broken (at least on Buster), and I simply cannot get Wifi to work in a performant manner.

Would anyone who has one of these be able to copy the disk image and put it on Dropbox or similar? I haven't seen any such on Pro-Ject's website.

I must admit that I'm somewhat bemused that for a project that is open source aligned, that a BT/Wifi card wasn't chosen that has more/better support in Linux.

Any help appreciated!

Aris

As you shelved 600 quid for that device I'm sure their support can take care of that. I advise you however not to tell them you messed with additional installs but that the disk got broken.

OP
aris

aris

Audio Company
To be fair, they do make note in their documentation that it supports boot mode to enable others to install other OS’s on.

I’m not arguing the value of the device, I bought it after all.

And yes, I’ve started a process to get support from Pro-Ject.

Aris

somy

To be fair, they do make note in their documentation that it supports boot mode to enable others to install other OS’s on.

I’m not arguing the value of the device, I bought it after all.

And yes, I’ve started a process to get support from Pro-Ject.

Aris
What do you think of the product? Just read the review and looks to me they use Volumio, but sure how it differs from standard version. One thing I don’t understand is they claim it is mqa compatible, but Volumio can’t even do the first unfold how can it support mqa

Jman

Maybe not in 2019, but now it's on their portal site:

• Get a USB Thumb Drive • Format it as “FAT32” using the MBR partition table. Please note that MacOS often uses a different partition table by default! Please make sure to select the MBR partition table when formatting. • Download this file http://repo.volumio.org/utils/factory_reset • Please use Google Chrome or Firefox if the download doesn't start automatically • Copy it on the Thumb Drive (make sure the name of the file is exactly "factory_reset") • Turn off the Stream Box S2 Ultra and unplug the ethernet cable (if connected) • Plug the thumb drive to one of the USB ports • Turn on the Stream Box S2 Ultra • IMPORTANT: During this phase the unit might restart multiple times and this factory reset will take about 5 minutes. • The factory reset will be completed when the Net-LED starts blinking again

Last edited:

Crystara

As you shelved 600 quid for that device I'm sure their support can take care of that. I advise you however not to tell them you messed with additional installs but that the disk got broken.
Whats the price of the unit got to do with the question he asked ?

Top Bottom