• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-ject Pre Box DS2 DAC & Pre-amp Review

SvanTeK

Hi all,
Has anyone of you looked inside this box (pics) ?
What type of output amplification ?
Class A or AB ?
Op-amps , discrete or discrete-op-amps ?
If it is op-amps who makes them and what type is it ?

I hope it's SO-8 op-amps, If I buy a Pro-ject Pre Box DS2, I like to roll some op-amps.

Hemi-Demon

There website is so convoluted and confusing. This was a nice surprise as an overall package. Thanks for the review Amir. If they could clean up the vinyl portion, this would be perfect. What dac chip is being used inside of this?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not right. Maybe that is used in some other Pro-ject device, but the Pre Box DS2 Digital upsamples with the AK4137 SRC and the DAC is AK4490.
Sure, I was talking about Pre Box Head 2 Digital and Head Box S2 Digital, both using ES9038Q2M. These were the two products quoted above. Thought @Hemi-Demon asked about them.;)

GianDi

Very interesting product

VJK_out

Hi

I'm new (and newbie) to this forum. My current setup is:

Denon AVR 1906
Genelec G Three x2
Audio pro 1.36 active subwoofer

So a typical 2.1 setup I would say. Looking for a preamp for this setup. My sub has rca Line in L+R.

My question is: Can I hook up my gear with this Pro-ject beauty? One RCA (L or R) from sub out -> subwoofer (L or R)? Or do I need some other cable?

This Pro-ject looks very promising because not many DACs have sub out..

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Denon AVR 1906
Genelec G Three x2

So a typical 2.1 setup I would say. Looking for a preamp for this setup. My sub has rca Line in L+R.

My question is: Can I hook up my gear with this Pro-ject beauty? One RCA (L or R) from sub out -> subwoofer (L or R)? Or do I need some other cable?

Yes you can connect the sub as you describe with an RCA cable.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hi

Denon AVR 1906
Genelec G Three x2

Not sure what you mean by (L or R). Sub out is mono, isn't it?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I just discovered that the sub out does not scale with the volume control. So you can really only use this if you use the fixed output. Unless there is a switch somewhere to change this (I will email support). I had been using speaker level input to my sub. I thought the reason was because headphone jack does not turn off the line outputs. But I guess the volume issue is the reason. I wish I remembered; now I have to redo what I had before! I am an idiot. Plugged the rca into one of the fixed outputs. The sub output does scale with the volume knob. The good news is that even though I'm an idiot my memory might have been spot on.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's good to know, thanks. Does that apply to both models?
Don't know - it's mentioned in the pdf you posted and recognizable from the internal photos so applies to that model at least. From the difference in power specs I'd guess the mono one uses the UcD250LP instead.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Don't know - it's mentioned in the pdf you posted and recognizable from the internal photos so applies to that model at least. From the difference in power specs I'd guess the mono one uses the UcD250LP instead.
Thanks. I hadn't read all the PDF. What you say makes sense.

GianDi

do you know if volume control is only in analog domain (also digital inputs)
or analog inputs are "digitalized" ?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
do you know if volume control is only in analog domain (also digital inputs)
or analog inputs are "digitalized" ?
Yes volume control is analog, after DAC for digital inputs.

Top Bottom