• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-ject Pre Box DS2 DAC & Pre-amp Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Project Pre BOX DS2. It is a multi-function device with USB DAC, headphone amplifier, analog pre-amplifier with Bluetooth, and phono stage. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $899 although I see some open box ones for US $699.

The DS2 manages to come across as elegant in a sea of same looking desktop audio products:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Audio Review.jpg

The controls are microprocessor based and have a good feeling to them. LEDs light up to indicate what mode the device is in.

The back panel better shows all the functionality:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Back panel adapter remote control Audio Review.jpg

I don't care for membrane based remote controls but that can be easily replaced with another remote. The power supply is nice and light although has those adapters for mains socket which I don't fond of. But I understand the usefulness of it instead of stocking multiple versions of the unit.

USB DAC Audio Measurements
As usual, let's start with our dashboard view of a 1 kHz digital tone fed to the unit:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Audio Measurements.png

Wow, I must say, whenever I see a multifunction device I expect its DAC to be mediocre but such is not the case here. SINAD (sum of noise and distortion) is quite respectable here:

best dac phono preamplifier review.png

Distortion is below -112 dB which assures transparency.

Dynamic range has good headroom above CD/streaming content's 16 bit requirement:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

Intermodulation distortion versus level is competent as well:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp IMD Audio Measurements.png

Jitter performance is good:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Jitter Audio Measurements.png

As noted, there is a resampling feature (to high rate PCM and DSD) which I tried in this one test and it seems to be transparent.

There are four filter settings if you turn off resampling:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Filter Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

Two of them are sharp and two are slow as you see.

Preamplifier Audio Measurements
Our test here is similar to DAC except that now the source is a superbly high quality sine wave out of my analyzer:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In Audio Measurements.png

Wow, this is very good again! Worst case distortion spike is again below -112 dB. SNR is not as good as the digital input but still respectable:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In SNR Audio Measurements.png

Frequency response is dead flat (good):

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

And distortion+noise are frequency independent:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In THD+N vs Freq Audio Measurements.png

Phono Preamplifier Measurements
Here is the same test yet again but with phono input:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Phono In Audio Measurements.png

Distortion is comfortably low at -100 dB. Noise however is elevated and was highly dependent on how I grounded the unit. So actual performance may be better or worse for you. As is, the high level of noise limits ranking:

best phono preamplifier state review 2020.png

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Once again, same test but with headphone output:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In Headphone Out Audio Measurements.png

This is OK performance but let's see how much power we have:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In Headphone Out Power into 300 Ohm Audi...png

Not bad at all. This should enable it to drive high impedance headphones with good amount of loudness.

Performance suffers fair bit with lower impedance though:

Project Pre Box DS2 Digital Phono USB DAC Preamp Line In Headphone Out Power into 33 Ohm Audio...png

Conclusions
The phrase "digital divide" definitely applies to audio electronics in that DACs with some rare exceptions don't have analog inputs. This forces people like me who have an alternate analog input (in my case, a Reel to Reel tape deck) to use an external preamplifier just for this one feature. So it is great to see a company tackle this market and importantly, not just go for feature checklist but actually deliver on performance. And good looks.

While not state of the art in any category, the performance of the DS2 is competent and at times impressive enough to get my recommendation.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Garden chores are killing me. Have a ton of harvest that needs preserving. I think we are average 20 zucchinis a day! Need money for supplies to preserve all of this so please donate generously using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

3125b

Major Contributor
I don't really get the golfing panther considering the price, but all in all certainly not a bad product for people who need the feature set. It seems quite unique.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There has always been a lot of solid engineering going on at Pro-Ject. Designed in Austria, built across the border in the Czech Republic. European Audio Team is a somewhat related company (masking more expensive products and also vacuum tubes) and Pro-Ject is the OEM for most Music Hall turntables (with unique designs for Music Hall).

Last edited:

stren

Forum Donor
Any LPF/HPF for the sub or is it just a mono output that is full range?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link - weird because it has the five filter options - you'd think some of those would have been for selecting the sub crossover.
Yeah the upsampling (including to DSD) and variety of filter options seem like a lot of misguided effort that could have been put toward more useful features.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that pro-ject makes a handful of different cards for the functions used DS2 series: DAC, phono, etc. And then just use various combinations to have a lot of different devices. You can see from photos that the DAC card is the same as used in the DAC Box DS2 Ultra. It seems to work pretty well for them.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but typically you'd want to high pass your mains at the same frequency.
Lots of subs provide that as well, albeit with less flexibility than, say, a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD.

I could easily see someone buying this and a Hypex NC252MP, a ELAC bookshelf, and an SB1000, and getting away with a full range system for under $1700-2000.

stren

Forum Donor
Lots of subs provide that as well, albeit with less flexibility than, say, a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD.

Yes some do - those don't even need this sub out rca though, some subs also offer high level inputs which are essentially doing the same thing as this. It just makes it seemed a bit half baked as a feature. In my mind you should do things properly or not bother :p

Top Bottom