• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage Review

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I wonder how my Project Optical Box E Phono would measure: https://www.project-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Manual_Optical-Box-E-Phono.pdf I now read that I can set the sample rate at either 48 or 96 kHz. My RME ADI-2 can handle either, but I wonder what would be better: 48 kHz because the ADC does not have to work so close to its design limits?

I bought one but never use it because I do not like it at all. I prefer to use the phono preamp from and ooold NAD or other old preamp I have.

I suppose the best thing to do is to buy a Cambridge Duo.

And for the conversion... I wonder if convert vinyles into digital files is not loosing all the interest for the format: large sleeves with thing to read, ceremonial with each side of the record (park the arm, use the brush to clean the record, check it the stylus is clean etc...).

Willem

Major Contributor
I needed a MM pre amp with digital output because I no longer have any analogue inputs on my RME ADI-2 DAC/preamp. Digital are my primary sources, and vinyl is only an afterthought to keep my family happy, and to have a justification not to sell my LP12/SME 3009ii. The Linn deck is a bit crude but the SME arm is a mechanical beauty on a par with an old Leica. I admit I enjoy looking at it. Sonically there is no competition with a CCA, of course.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And for the conversion... I wonder if convert vinyles into digital files is not loosing all the interest for the format: large sleeves with thing to read, ceremonial with each side of the record (park the arm, use the brush to clean the record, check it the stylus is clean etc...).
I don't think they'd be anything to gain from turning vinyl into digital, unless you can't get the digital version and you want to preserve it or something, I guess vinyl doesn't last forever. Turning vinyl to digital seems to be the worst of all worlds. (I don't own vinyl, but I'm just using my imagination).

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I don't think they'd be anything to gain from turning vinyl into digital, unless you can't get the digital version and you want to preserve it or something, I guess vinyl doesn't last forever. Turning vinyl to digital seems to be the worst of all worlds. (I don't own vinyl, but I'm just using my imagination).

Few ideas about conversion:
1 - preservation of rare recordings (and sometimes inability to find a numeric version)
2 - convenience
3 - ability to clean the signal
4 -...

Anyway, if you store the vinyles properly, it seems to me more durable than CD. I have a lot of CD from '80 in very bad shape because of oxidation and when I bought them the official version was "ok for 100 years".

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few ideas about conversion:
1 - preservation of rare recordings (and sometimes inability to find a numeric version)
2 - convenience
3 - ability to clean the signal
4 -...

Anyway, if you store the vinyles properly, it seems to me more durable than CD. I have a lot of CD from '80 in very bad shape because of oxidation and when I bought them the official version was "ok for 100 years".
You answered your own question then ;)

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own this. Anyone want to recommend an effective, A/D stage that can take the place of the USB output on this?
MOTU M2.

Actually, except for RIAA, what does the DS2 have that M2 lacks?

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Applying DRC to vinyl opens a new world....

Reactions: DDF
Thank you for this review Amir, top notch as usual.

What about the Spdif output, which seems different from the USB one ?

Last edited:

MichaelP

I needed a MM pre amp with digital output because I no longer have any analogue inputs on my RME ADI-2 DAC/preamp. Digital are my primary sources, and vinyl is only an afterthought to keep my family happy, and to have a justification not to sell my LP12/SME 3009ii. The Linn deck is a bit crude but the SME arm is a mechanical beauty on a par with an old Leica. I admit I enjoy looking at it. Sonically there is no competition with a CCA, of course.

Checkout the Parks Audio Puffin with a digital out.

thefsb

What worst aspect of the digital world do you mean?

I've got lots of records of music I can't buy or stream as digital. If I only use the record player then I'm rather limited. I tried digitizing a couple of LPs years ago and found the process even more tedious and annoying than scanning 35mm negatives and slides. So I have to make do.

FranzF

Wow! Those ADC SINAD numners. The complete opposite of what Pro-Ject web site claims:
"A very low noise and jitter free A/D converter transfers the analogue signal into high resolution digital format (PCM up to 192kHz or DSD 128). Via its USB output you can record your vinyl on any computer. "

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was eying one of these to use over toslink into my rme dac but the puffin is looking to be potentially a better bet, albeit a more expensive one.
I have done pretty low output cartridges so hard clipping would seem to be likely.

I’d assume that the adc performance would be the same from the spdif output?

Anatoli_kz

Greetings
I have a question...
I do not quite understand in English
But judging by the graphs, it seems to me that the Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage looks better than Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp
And distortion Ratio is almost 10dB better
If we discard usb, then the Pro-ject is better?

JayLeap

Bumping so that someone might answer Anatoli's question.

Greetings
I have a question...
I do not quite understand in English
But judging by the graphs, it seems to me that the Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage looks better than Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp
And distortion Ratio is almost 10dB better
If we discard usb, then the Pro-ject is better?

wemist01

Despite the graphs, Sinad is 10DB worse. But I can't explain why. Also, why pay for USB implementation if performance is poor? The Duo is less expensive. (Mind you, I own this, and am perfectly happy with it.)

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
By DRC do you mean dynamic range correction? Which plugins do you use?

that would be a very interesting use case.
I meant digital room correction, feeding the ADC signal into a NanoAvr via HDMI.

hollis

I meant digital room correction, feeding the ADC signal into a NanoAvr via HDMI.

Ah thanks, I got all excited for a moment. Trying to put bandaids on bad masters is a passion of mine.

As far as room eq, I had a similar experience to yours. Ran my turntable rig direct to the amps for a few weeks, then routed it into the minidsp 88D and Dirac, and never looked back. Dirac improved things considerably.

d'Brit

Check the ADC list mentioned in the review. I would add the miniDSP SHD, which I use to great effect for both listening to and recording LPs. The bonus is that with it you can take advantage of DSP.

Oh, and, great record!
Please share how you use the miniDSP SHD to record LPs. As it has no analog inputs.

Top Bottom