• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-ject Optical Box E Review (Phono Stage)

SOULKAT

Has anybody got a Pro-Ject Optical Box E Phono ? i have run out of inputs on my Arcam SA10 amp & I need to add my Denon Tape player and the old Moth turntable with Optical out to my amp so if i do sell my Moth i can flick a switch and add a CD Player as well plus there's a 3.5 audio in & out on it as well The output could run to my PC for direct recording and the input could be used for another Aux DVD TV Ect Plus i could place my Turntable anywhere as i could use a long Optical Toslink cable I Know it was given a bad press with sound quality but has anyone owned or own one with there own thoughts on the matter as at sub £100 new it seems to me to qure my lack of inputs problem & Phono amp ect ect ??

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I am not quite sure what your question is, but I have the Optical Box Ephono and am quite happy. My expectation for vinyl sound quality is not that high anyway, so I doubt the deficiencies of the Project box matter much. Anyway, my DAC is a lot better of course: an RME ADI-2 and I hardly use anything other than digital sources. As an automatic switch to have more digital inputs I use this: https://www.tindie.com/products/beni_skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/ It works very well, and signal quality was tested by RME and judged to be excellent.

Top Bottom