• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro Audio Technology speakers

TXavGuy

A local installer is strongly suggesting Pro Audio Technology speakers, subs, and amps. I am not very familiar with the brand, and have been unable to find much information online (which in and of itself is a bit troubling, although that's a terribly difficult name to search for, as you get lots of "pro audio" hits).

The system will be used 50/50 for movies and music. The LCR recommendation is SCR-12sm and there are corresponding side, rear, and Atmos speakers (all in wall/ceiling). From looking at the specs on their website, the THD of the amp doesn't seem in line with other options I've looked at, and the subs (LFC-15sm) don't seem especially impressive, claiming response only down to 20Hz. But I realize specs aren't everything.

Does anyone have feedback to offer? I had been looking at brands such as Paradigm Persona, Totem, B&W, etc. If this is a system I should seriously consider, I will find a way to demo it, but that won't be convenient, so I'd like to learn as much as I can right now.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Get what you want. I always buy things that are known, with a good reputation. That way I can sell them if need be, and I can usually get service. Installers choose products they like and are familiar with. And they make a profit on them. That is good for them, but it locks you in.

EDIT: From reading below, it definitely looks like a reputable company. It may be totally fine.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A local installer is strongly suggesting Pro Audio Technology speakers, subs, and amps.
I assume they're getting a commission/profit/kickback. And, it's probably easier for them all-around if everything comes from the same manufacturer/supplier.

This is NOT to imply your installer is dishonest (he's entitled to a profit) but when I was in high school & college I worked for a place that installed & maintained PA/background music systems in grocery stores (among other things). We did an upscale (for the time) installation in a private home that included some things we didn't normally sell. My boss got a fake invoice for an amplifier that made it look like we'd paid retail for it (and that's what we billed them). I was shocked! The customer didn't get cheated because they would have paid retail in any case, but it made us look more generous that we really were.

OP
T

TXavGuy

Thanks for the replies. This same installer sells other brands, so it's not like he's going to get profit on this equipment or no profit at all. Without knowing the pricing structure for the various brands, I can't say if he may be motivated to push one brand over another. I will say that I was surprised to see (pretty hefty) installation charges on top of the equipment prices. The last time I bought a system, all of that was factored into the price of the components, and even then, they were discounted from MSRP.

OP
T

TXavGuy

One other thing I meant to mention is that the Pro Audio Technology speakers require bi, tri, or even quad amping, and seem tightly coupled with their amps, which are touted as "DSP". This synergy could provide the sound to price ratio (since it seems there are real benefits to active biamping) but also complicates any future system changes.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure that’s Paul Hales’s company. He designed well-regarded-for-their-time audiophile speakers. It’s worth a demo somewhere I think.

OP
T

TXavGuy

I’m pretty sure that’s Paul Hales’s company. He designed well-regarded-for-their-time audiophile speakers. It’s worth a demo somewhere I think.

It definitely is his company. I appreciate the feedback.

Bartl007

Pro audio tech is a great brand and competes with JBL synthesis and others in that space. Paul Hales their founder is a smart guy and I've heard their stuff at CEDIA in years past, excellent stuff. You won't be disappointed if pro audio tech is in your budget.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know Paul Hales was still making things. I have some of his Hales Two Signature speakers. Thick, thick box with very high quality speakers in an MTM sealed bass configuration. External crossovers filled with sand.

Last edited:
OP
T

TXavGuy

Thanks for the comments! It sounds like I'd be happy with a Pro Audio Tech system for movies, but I'm still unsure about the music part. It seems to be mentioned as an afterthought, even in their marketing materials.

I actually found this interview with Hales to be interesting and informative --

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

Was going to reply to this effect, if this is Paul Hales new venture than I would definitely give them a listen before dismissing, guys a legend and knows his stuff. I wouldn't be quick to assume they're lacking musically, Hales was primarily focused on HiFi Stereo when they were in business, HT was the afterthought, and this was during the HT boom days.

/semi biased, I have Hales Revelation III that I absolutely love.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/118/index.html

Last edited:
OP
T

TXavGuy

@Dougey_Jones Thanks. I have sort of come to realize that for my purposes, anything (reasonable) that would provide a kick-ass theater experience will provide me with a great music experience, too...I don't do much "critical listening", my listening is much more casual. I still have reservations about the PAT system, but that is no longer really one of them.

mjharden

What did you end up going with? I'm looking at Pro Audio Technology as well. I know Paul Hales was the first I believe to bring the "cinema sound" to the residential market. From what I understand, they build their speakers like tanks, and use compression drivers. They tick all the right boxes for home theater dynamics and spl peaks.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
OP
T

TXavGuy

What did you end up going with? I'm looking at Pro Audio Technology as well. I know Paul Hales was the first I believe to bring the "cinema sound" to the residential market. From what I understand, they build their speakers like tanks, and use compression drivers. They tick all the right boxes for home theater dynamics and spl peaks.

I've decided to go with JBL Synthesis.

Top Bottom