• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Privacy Question: Denon X1500 uploading 1Gb each month

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Internet has been the Wild, Wild West for a while. We are only becoming more aware.

Most of us have signed things that we can't even begin to comprehend... Terms of services are never read, we all simply sign. Our private data is harvested and sold back to us in the form of products and convenience...

Alternatives are few. A Luddite lifestyle? Thor browser? Duckduck go search? I have tried this one and didn't like it... Returned to better results from Google with the usual commercial assaults, harvesting and selling of my data..
Confused but looking for solutions .. via .. Google.. Circle of confusion? Yes..

A serious debate that needs to be conducted.. Even on Google or the usual Social Media platforms. If there is one thing that I can retain from this is that the Internet masses can sway things in a better direction.

In the meantime I will unplug my Internet Router at night ... perhaps a stupid (mechanical) timer to turn it on and off .. A feeble attempt, not a solution, as those things will simply send the information later...

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm aware of it. It can be done natively using Windows too.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/adjust-windows-10-firewall-settings/

Some router administration programs can allow similar blocking options independent of the OS.

I was just wondering why nobody has done that since they don't agree with the amount of data being uploaded.

FWIW, adjusting your Windows firewall settings will do absolutely nothing about the traffic generated by an IOT device (or any other device), unless of course, you are routing all your traffic through your Windows machine and then forwarding it to your router. If you want to firewall your local network, you do it at the bottleneck (typically your router)

The most basic setup that allows some control on your security is

1) having your ISP router act as a pure bridge
2) having a router on which you have full control act as the actual router

The second step would be a zone/subnet/vlan dedicated to IOT things, a zone for visitor's devices, a zone for the stuff that matters such as your actual computers/nas etc... There are many ways to improve the security/privacy of your stuff but I agree they aren't easy for most people.

I wouldn't trust many things around my actual data/work stuff. There are the "We don't really care" big boys such as Samsung, LG, etc... and the small "we would care but don't have the know-how"... I am assuming that if I can patch the firmware in some of my vacuum cleaners, I am not the only one... ;)

Top Bottom