• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't realize he was still alive. Then again following the royal family isn't my thing. Altho I did enjoy Prince Andrew's squirming in the interviews regarding his association with Jeffrey Epstein....but did not watch the recent Oprah press release from the couple that decided to be less "royal"....

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah, but the British Monarch has essentially no power at all. It's astonishing that some people don't understand this.

Some Canadians would like Canada to become a republic and drop the Queen as head of state. But why? I don't care about the Monarch vis-à-vis Canada but the changeover would be more hassle that it's worth.
If I were a North American politician I'd wish for figurative head of state , save me being assassinated.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Against my better judge and my promise:
1) The operative word is “essentially”.
2) Thus what is their (royalty) purpose?
3) Don’t you find it quite illogical to bestow such (privileges) to a few people who have “ essentially “ no power?
4) Don‘t they cost? A lot?
5) What have They done to be granted such honors and such privileges? Born from some “special” people?

I could ask many more questions but if their subjects think of this arrangement/device and its hereditary granting as a suitable and reasonable form of function ...
Fine: the British monarchy is archaic, no real dispute.

The best that may be said for it is that it is traditional and "the Crown" remains symbolic of the British state. Most, though certainly not, all Britains love it. Does it cost money? Yes, but I have often heard claimed that the pomp, ceremony, cost are justified by the tourism it help generate.

It would be much more trouble that could possibly be worth to abolish it and institute a republican arrangement. Incidentally, though Canadians attachment to the Monarchy is much less the that of the British, IMHO, it would likewise be more trouble than it's worth to abolish it here.

3) Don’t you find it quite illogical to bestow such (privileges) to a few people who have “ essentially “ no power?
5) What have They done to be granted such honors and such privileges? Born from some “special” people?

I could ask many more questions but if their subjects think of this arrangement/device and its hereditary granting as a suitable and reasonable form of function ...
The Royal Family is like a large public relations firm. It would seem that many Brits like the Royals because it reminds them of a time when Great Britain was relevant on the world scene. That hasn’t been the case since the World War I era or before that.

You might have noticed that when the Royals have some sort of scandal (Prince Andrew for instance) they try and bury their heads in the sand and act as if their family is important for the sake of the country. To an American like me, I find it to be a load of nonsense but if it makes you feel good about yourself.....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
R.I.P. Prince Philip. He had a long life and clearly was a loyal partner to Queen Elizabeth II. I feel for her loss at this time and I hope she retains the strength and poise she has always shown. I hope it isn't the beginning of the end for her, as it so often is, when a wife/husband passes.

Quite frankly, I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread. Many are bordering on disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourselves. But then again, give people a platform and they will make fools of themselves- that is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The family has immense wealth.
The financial deal the Monarch has is that the income from all her estate goes directly to the exchequer, ie she pays 100% tax, and there is a thing called the "civil list" which is an agreed budget that gets paid back to her to run her "business" which is entertaining foreign heads of state, opening schools, factories etc..
The "working" members of the family actually have pretty full diaries, though Prince Philip effectively retired when he was 96 (!), no longer carrying out any of these duties and the Queen has handed over a lot of her obligations to her son and grandson now she is 95.
She carried out 341 official duties in 2016, for example, so pretty busy until she was 90.

I do think it is a bit of an anomaly myself but it is popular with the majority of the population and brings in a lot of tourists, whether they cost "a lot" or pay for themselves directly and indirectly will be impossible to find out but personally, if I were as rich as they are I would much prefer to be out of the public eye and scrutiny and enjoy my wealth in my own way.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Divine right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

It must be hard to get over it.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Quite frankly shocked at:

1. The vitriol in a thread about another human beings death.
2. The lack of decency from judgemental people ( but with every right to that opinion ) that if they feel so strongly that they want to have a political discussion, but cant be bothered to start a thread for that purpose.

Now I am a British Subject, but always have been a republican but I can still sympathise with a family for their loss of a loved one. I am quite ambivalent towards him as a I have never met him and dont know him.

All this thread has shown me is the nastiness thats inside the human species , was hoping a science based forum would steer away from it.

Peace. and RIP chap

Wombat

Master Contributor
I haven't notice vitriol re Prince Philip, except from the cat guy(multiple such posts). Otherwise some meanders into monarchic territory.

Katji

Major Contributor
royals only use that rubbish bang and Olufsen as I believe it is appointed to the reptailin II.
Now we are really in cuckoo land here. smfh.
Only 2 "audiophiles" forum, but it's all the evidence I need. Compared to many other forums over >20 years. That includes various bike forums, and gun forums.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That hasn’t been the case since the World War I era or before that.
It was WW2 that bankrupted the UK and the subsequent "loss" of the Empire, so really around the mid 40s. Until then the USA had followed isolationalist policies, since then we passed the baton for poncing around claiming to be the best most powerful nation on earth to the USA.

It was WW2 that bankrupted the UK and the subsequent "loss" of the Empire, so really around the mid 40s. Until then the USA had followed isolationalist policies, since then we passed the baton for poncing around claiming to be the best most powerful nation on earth to the USA.
The point was, Great Britain is a second class power and the population likes to remember the ‘old times’ of when they rules the waves. The Royal family, with all that pomp and circumstance helps put people in that frame of mind.

Taddpole

They've since passed it back to China though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom