• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Primare SPA22 or Yamaha A-S1000 recommendation

SacreDro

Hi,

I was looking at a new amp, a Yamaha A-S1000 and recently saw the Primare SPA22 for sale, which is a AV receiver as well.
From my research I was looking at the older models like the SPA20 and SPA21 and both were heavy(around 20kg each) and had good reviews from particular users that own them or had them for testing, there is not so much information out there, but from what I know they make quality HiFi products.
I found this newer one SPA22 which is a new class D amplifier from Primare, that weighs less ~ 15kg and again, not so much information about them so I was wondering if you guy have had a chance to use one.
Here is a link from the manufacturer:

I am not so sure about the purchase, I found one for 460 GBP including shipment, but I my hearth is on the Yamaha side sort of, since I can find decent reviews about it and currently have a A-S210, the entry model from them and was thinking of upgrading it so enjoy the music more from my BC Acoustique speakers that I bought a few month about and want to push them with more power from a serious amplifier.
Currently I am looking even for decent vintage receivers from the 90's mainly and have a budget around 600-700 Euro, new or nice high end pieces.

Marantz PM6007 is also in my budget, but it gets mixed reviews, Yama A-S701, but for the price I am still considering that Primare SPA22 or Yamaha A-S1000 offer more for the money.

D

Deleted member 48726

If the choice is between Yamaha A-S1000 and (any) AV receiver then there is no choice. You get the Yamaha A-S1000. It has great control and sounds good. Also bullet proof design and build. -However, I personally think they missed an opportunity to give her 100 Watts more power. I wouldn't trade it for any AV receiver though. Even if they seem to have more power on paper.

There is also the KISS concept, which I like in every aspect and especially in HiFi. Keep It Simple Stupid. -The Yamaha is an "old school" analogue stereo amp. The Primare quite the opposite.

Top Bottom