• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Primare Prisma NP5

Behrend

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I’ve been lurking around for sometime here before registering and I really like your approach to music and „HiFi“.
I was looking for a streamer with
digital out,
supporting Airplay 2
DLNA and
CC
I came across the Primare Prisma NP5. After some reading I decided to buy it. It works very well. Switching between CC, DLNA and AirPlay is fast. But my issue is, that I can’t get the RME ADI-2 DAC Bit-Test to work. I found out, that Primare ist up/down sampling the music but even when setting the Prisma to 96kHz an feeding it the 96kHz Testfile over DLNA, bit Test is not successful.

Does anyone has experience with the device?
Is anyone using roon?

Last edited:

fenrik

Hello everyone,
I’ve been lurking around for sometime here before registering and I really like your approach to music and „HiFi“.
I was looking for a streamer with
digital out,
supporting Airplay 2
DLNA and
CC
I came across the Primare Prisma NP5. After some reading I decided to buy it. It works very well. Switching between CC, DLNA and AirPlay is fast. But my issue is, that I can’t get the RME ADI-2 DAC Bit-Test to work. I found out, that Primare ist up/down sampling the music but even when setting the Prisma to 96kHz an feeding it the 96kHz Testfile over DLNA, bit Test is not successful.

Does anyone has experience with the device?
Is anyone using roon?
I have the same setup in bedroom, with headphones.
There is a new firmware coming "throughout August", to give official roon support and bit perfect.

OP
B

Behrend

Forum Donor
Oh great, i hope that will fixe the issue for DLNA as well. Do you have any streamers to compare the NP5 to? I am not sure if it is that big of a deal...

fenrik

Oh great, i hope that will fixe the issue for DLNA as well. Do you have any streamers to compare the NP5 to? I am not sure if it is that big of a deal...
Well, I have a dCS network bridge in my main system. I have not compared them, maybe I should... after the firmware update...

x_ivica

Is it Primare NP5 on same level like Sotm sms-200 neo, or Node2i, Audiolab6000N
How you will compare dCS network bridge with Primare NP5

OP
B

Behrend

Forum Donor
First of all I have to say, that I don’t have Roon and the experience with it might be different.

I used to own the SotM SMS-200. I liked the USB output and got it used because of the great reviews. After using it I can not say that I share their view. The SMS-200‘s interface is very slow to use over the browser. ShAirplay works but so it does with my Raspi. The LMS drove me crazy. I hate it. After comparing the sound to a raspi in a blind test, I clearly heard the difference but I liked the Pi with the DigiBerry Pro hat much more.
Every feature the SMS has can also be provided by a raspi. I don’t think that it is worth the money.
The NP5 I bought because it supports all the prohibitory Software licenses from Google, Apple and many more. Everything works smoothly and the userexperience is great. But it reconverts all files I before playing them. I am right now not able to compare it to anything sound wise but I will keep you updated when I do

x_ivica

First of all I have to say, that I don’t have Roon and the experience with it might be different.

I used to own the SotM SMS-200. I liked the USB output and got it used because of the great reviews. After using it I can not say that I share their view. The SMS-200‘s interface is very slow to use over the browser. ShAirplay works but so it does with my Raspi. The LMS drove me crazy. I hate it. After comparing the sound to a raspi in a blind test, I clearly heard the difference but I liked the Pi with the DigiBerry Pro hat much more.
Every feature the SMS has can also be provided by a raspi. I don’t think that it is worth the money.
The NP5 I bought because it supports all the prohibitory Software licenses from Google, Apple and many more. Everything works smoothly and the userexperience is great. But it reconverts all files I before playing them. I am right now not able to compare it to anything sound wise but I will keep you updated when I do

I need NP5 only for Deezer HIFI streaming service over google chrome cast. Is it better option than desktop application over PC and usb output.

dudodelmundo

Hi there,

i need a streamer with build in chromecast. I mostly listen to Bandcamp and Soundcloud. Right now i have a Chromecast Ultra with a HDMI Splitter to provide Audio via Coax to my USB DAC. What is nice here is that i get Coverart etc. via HDMI on a monitor. This is a feature most streamers are missing except a Chromecast Ultra. What i dont like is the cable mess splitter chromecast and LAN port on the plug.

So is there a castready device that has hdmi, toslink, coax, (usb out), LAN. Primare is near but way overpriced and without HDMI.

Such as this thingy: Streaming Box

thx

OP
B

Behrend

Forum Donor
The Box looks really nice. I like especially like the USB out. AirPlay 2 is missing though.
Thanks for sharing!
I don’t know of any device, that can do that. In the Apple cosmos, the Apple TV 1 had Toshlink, HDMI and LAN ...

dudodelmundo

Im not a part of the apple universe so Airplay doesnt bother me that much. But if i understand it correctly if a device runs android tv it is castable with google cast. Then this device or other streaming boxes would work just fine. Like this as well Orbsmart

OP
B

Behrend

Forum Donor
Yes,
As far as I understand it, they should work fine
Which one are you planing to get?

dudodelmundo

So i got the nokia streaming box. This thing is quite nice. Works great, with toslink and usb to an e30 dac as well. The remote control is a big plus and you can turn it off unlike a chromecast. Greetz

x_ivica

You have connected toslink optical cable from Nokia to dac. Nokia have also usb audio output

dudodelmundo

You have connected toslink optical cable from Nokia to dac. Nokia have also usb audio output
Yeah nokia 8000 to dac via toslik at 48 PCM. nokia 8000 to dac via usb works as well even at 96 PCM (Spotify etc) out of the box. i dont know how such a device handels this. i would guess directly with alsa at that bitrate.

Android tv comes with native deezer, tidal, spotify app. qobuz is missing. for bandcamp and soundcloud i just cast to chromecast receiver.

With netflix a have a strange behaviour with usb audio. Some movies work with usb audio others dont. Error message would be tvq-pb-101 (5.2.5).
With toslink everything is fine at 48 PCM. Maybe 96 PCM isnt supported by netflix? When i plug out the usb cable no error message.

x_ivica

Connections
HDMI for connecting to the TV – Ethernet LAN for connecting to the Internet via cable – USB A 3.0 for your external hard drive – Optical digital output for your home theater system or your soundbar – AV for your analog audio player or headphones – USB-C for charging your mobile phone – Dual Band Wi-Fi – Bluetooth

You use USB-C for charging your mobile phone like audio output for usb.

dudodelmundo

That USB A port works as audio out to my dac. I think it should also work as a input for a harddrive or usb key.

Top Bottom