• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

christo9

Hello All,

I read a lot of passionate exchanges about class D amplifiers. For the multichannel, we talk a lot about Nord, Appollon, ... we even have McIntosh that released one.

For my part, I have a Primare stereo amp that I like a lot. I was wondering what you think about their 8 channels class D amp : the Primare A35.8

I look forward to hearing from those who know more about it than I do.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to use Hypex Ncore modules, so if they did not fuck up the implementation, it should be good. Price wise however, it’s probably not the best bang for buck.

Golfx

Forum Donor
OP
C

christo9

Thank you for your answers.

From what I've read, even with similar amplifier modules, the way it's been implemented could impact the sound signature.
I saw a test report on YouTube (can't remember if it was a Nord or an Appollon) where the tester found the sound awful with certain types of music.
I read on another forum, feedback from a Primare A35.8 owner who said he was (positively) surprised that the sound was very similar to his other amp, a stereo class AB Primare amp.

Will an NCore module always sound the same regardless of the implementation by the amp manufacturer (e.g. VTV, ATI, Nord, Appollon, NAD, Primare…)?
Do these manufacturers have leeway to give their sound signature?

Golfx

Forum Donor
Sorry, I misread your posting in haste. I thought you were after recommendations.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure looks great and the flexibility is awesome. But 5k euros... One can buy an 8 channel amplifier based on NC502MP modules for a fraction of that (example: Apollon NCMP8350 costs almost half that, Buckeye even less), and still have more power per channel using the same Hypex NCore technology.

Reactions: ENG
OP
C

christo9

Sorry, I misread your posting in haste. I thought you were after recommendations.
No no, you were rigotte. I am looking for recommendation.
But I would like to better understand the differences between the amplifiers of the different manufacters based on the same Hypex component.

OP
C

christo9

Sure looks great and the flexibility is awesome. But 5k euros... One can buy an 8 channel amplifier based on NC502MP modules for a fraction of that (example: Apollon NCMP8350 costs almost half that, Buckeye even less), and still have more power per channel using the same Hypex NCore technology.
If I do the same configuration with Appollon (8 channels Hypex NCore 500), it is 4590 €

Attachments

• 6FC515B5-487F-4DA6-9F94-C3129D233EA8.jpeg
    6FC515B5-487F-4DA6-9F94-C3129D233EA8.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 73

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I do the same configuration with Appollon (8 channels Hypex NCore 500), it is 4590 €
Still too expensive for an 8 channel amp. O own both NC502MP and NC500OEM and they are very, very close in sound. Definitely not worth paying almost double for surrounds...

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw a test report on YouTube (can't remember if it was a Nord or an Appollon) where the tester found the sound awful with certain types of music.
Subjectivity.
I'd not trust everything that reviewers say.
And yes, a lot of music sounds awful without syrup, vanilla and pepper.
Will an NCore module always sound the same regardless of the implementation by the amp manufacturer (e.g. VTV, ATI, Nord, Appollon, NAD, Primare…)?
Of course not.
Really talented designer can f##k up even perfect amplifier module. Or make subjectively preferred distortion profile, if you like this term better.
Definitely not worth paying almost double for surrounds...
Maybe it's for multiamped DIY project? ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's for multiamped DIY project? ;)
Possibly, but still a 4 channel amp based on NC502MP for 1800 euros from Apollon or 1100 usd from Buckeye would be the way to go IMO. We have seen measured power of 600W in 4 ohms 1% THD+N for each channel of this module. That would be 1200W per speaker with very high SINAD.

I am admittedly a fan of the NC502MP. To me it is currently the best deal in amp modules in the market: perfect balance of high SINAD, high power and low price.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Thank you for your answers.

From what I've read, even with similar amplifier modules, the way it's been implemented could impact the sound signature.
I read on another forum, feedback from a Primare A35.8 owner who said he was (positively) surprised that the sound was very similar to his other amp, a stereo class AB Primare amp.

Do these manufacturers have leeway to give their sound signature?
Amps are not the usual culprit of terrible sound: speakers and room interaction with those speakers typically weight a lot more in the final result. Amps can, of course, sound terrible due to noise or distortion, but at this time and age, that´d be a tiny fraction. Clippling the amp is probably far more common, but that means the output of the amp is not enough for the speakers and the sound pressure you want from them.

OP
C

christo9

Amps are not the usual culprit of terrible sound: speakers and room interaction with those speakers typically weight a lot more in the final result. Amps can, of course, sound terrible due to noise or distortion, but at this time and age, that´d be a tiny fraction. Clippling the amp is probably far more common, but that means the output of the amp is not enough for the speakers and the sound pressure you want from them.
Good point!
The preparation of the room is important and usually neglected or not possible for various reasons (WAF, ...).
Systems such as Dirac, Room Perfect, ARC partially solve the problem. So, should we rather pay attention to the choice of the preamplifier...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Good point!
The preparation of the room is important and usually neglected or not possible for various reasons (WAF, ...).
Systems such as Dirac, Room Perfect, ARC partially solve the problem. So, should we rather pay attention to the choice of the preamplifier...
For 8 channels, I assume you'll be using a multichannel system with a processor. It's curious that Primare does not make one.

OP
C

christo9

They had an AV preamp.
But none in the current moment.

They planned to go back to this business…

SPA25 Prisma integrated amplifier
  • 9 channel,100 watts per channel (all channels driven)
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS X
  • 4K UHD HDR switching
  • Dirac Live DSP capabilities
  • eARC
  • Prisma network player technology
  • MSRP TBD (estimated €6000)
  • Launch date TBD (estimated third quarter 2022)
SP25 Prisma processor amplifier
  • 9 channel, unbalanced outputs
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS X
  • 4K UHD HDR switching
  • eARC
  • MSRP TBD (estimated €4500)
  • Launch date TBD (estimated fourth quarter 2022)

SP35 Prisma processor preamplifier
  • 16 channel fully balanced preamplifier
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS X
  • 4k UHD HDR switching
  • eARC
  • MSRP TBD (€7000)
  • Launch date TBD (estimated second quarter 2023)

Top Bottom