• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pricey Mcintosh Dac announced

Adaboy4z

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems excessive to me. But, then, hey! It's a McIntosh!
I disagree $4000 is not excessively expensive for an 8-ch DAC with copious amount of inputs. For a McIntosh it’s even cheap!

A 32-bit DAC? That is the real story here.

The DA2 in the MDA200 is powered by a next generation, Quad Balanced, 8-channel, 32-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I disagree $4000 is not excessively expensive for an 8-ch DAC with copious amount of inputs. For a McIntosh it’s even cheap!

It's a stereo product. And it's effectively 24 bit, it only accepts 24 bit and DSD files. The numbers you quote are those of the (I believe, ESS) chip used not the DA2 board or the DAC.

The only story here is that it may allow you to use a McIntosh SACD player properly with a non-McIntosh preamp through the proprietary input. Then again, if you only use digital inputs, the MDA200 is a DAC/pre anyway and described as such. I doubt that they would say that if it has insufficient gain to work with at least some of their own power amps.
Here it is on their website:
McIntosh MDA200 D/A Converter (mcintoshlabs.com)

mkt

“Popular multi-channel audio formats from Dolby® and DTS® are supported and will be expertly converted to 2-channel audio for proper playback.” o_O

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
“Popular multi-channel audio formats from Dolby® and DTS® are supported and will be expertly converted to 2-channel audio for proper playback.” o_O
Just what I'd want, to have multich capabilities reduced to mere 2ch....

ps oops....maybe "expertly" makes a difference on the downmix particularly....LOL!

Reactions: mkt

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Just what I'd want, to have multich capabilities reduced to mere 2ch....

ps oops....maybe "expertly" makes a difference on the downmix particularly....LOL!
It's stereo. If it doesn't either downmix or refuse to play multichannel formats, you don't get to hear everything in what is played back.. I don't see the problem. If you want to playback in more channels it's not the device for you!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a stereo product. And it's effectively 24 bit, it only accepts 24 bit and DSD files. The numbers you quote are those of the (I believe, ESS) chip used not the DA2 board or the DAC.
It is not my quote. I took it from their PR.

The DA2 in the MDA200 is powered by a next generation, Quad Balanced, 8-channel, 32-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC). This audiophile-grade DAC features enhanced dynamic range and improved total harmonic distortion.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It is not my quote. I took it from their PR.
It’s a quote, and it’s in your post. I believe my response is entirely accurate, and I can’t see why you’ve chosen to argue the point.

Not that I’m the best person to say that, given my propensity to do the same, of course!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the real story is that this 32-bit DAC doesn't even break 16-bit resolution. It will have about a 86 SINDAD :facepalm: If you trash the Anti-Mode for it, so should you trash McIntosh.

Trell

Major Contributor
It has a HDMI ARC input that so many wants from other DACs as seen in other threads.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My Huawei phone has a 32bit DAC inside!
All that jazz regarding the 8 channel blah blah refers to the choice of DAC chip, most probably ESS.
The quad balanced, that's something else.
The 4K price is fine for a McIntosh, you don't get a Rolex for $500, regardless of performance.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From my standpoint, it better install itself for the $4k asking price. But I'm a shameless Amazon shopping pleb.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4K price is fine for a McIntosh, you don't get a Rolex for $500, regardless of performance.

I always get a chuckle about Rolex/high end stereo comparisons. But I'll tell you this, twenty years from now, after you beam up (depending upon your age), your son will cherish your Rolex, and probably want to wear it every day, as a remembrance of dear old dad.

Twenty years from now, when your kid goes to sell the rest of your stuff, the last thing he'll want to keep is the MacDAC. At the estate-garage sale he might get a few dollars for it. If he's lucky. But only if you agree to throw in the old man's MacLightBox, something that could actually have value as a small storage unit that glows in the dark.

One thing: in the realm of higher end Swiss watches, 4K won't get it done. For that, a potential buyer will have to be able to spring for one of Mac's big amps.

However all that is, one has to give it up to the company for their press release:

The product further serves as an upgrade to replace older D/A converters that may now be obsolete and outdated. Keeping in mind that digital music formats and technologies change and improve over time, the DA2 is designed with the ability to be replaced ... positioning the MDA200 as a timeless investment ... to a home audio system for years to come.

That has to be one of more reality challenging promo claims. How many madmen-admen late night sessions, and how many Old Fashioneds had to be downed before the team came up with that? "Hey, when this DAC becomes obsolete, we'll tell buyers they can buy something new to stick inside it, making it last forever!"

McIntosh having finally caught up with all those ST-70 and PAS preamp owners from the '50s and '60s, can now self reflect on why they didn't put blue meters on the DAC's faceplate. Heads will likely roll over that mistake.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh having finally caught up with all those ST-70 and PAS preamp owners from the '50s and '60s, can now self reflect on why they didn't put blue meters on the DAC's faceplate. Heads will likely roll over that mistake.
Lol! It needs a nice autotransformer, too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's stereo. If it doesn't either downmix or refuse to play multichannel formats, you don't get to hear everything in what is played back.. I don't see the problem. If you want to playback in more channels it's not the device for you!
Lots of Mc gear isn't for me, especially a $4k dac without vu meters and more lights!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why a $4000 DAC can't support WiFi streaming. This thing is dead to me.

egellings

Major Contributor

If you have that kind of money, then enjoy!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Twenty years from now, when your kid goes to sell the rest of your stuff, the last thing he'll want to keep is the MacDAC. At the estate-garage sale he might get a few dollars for it.
Absolutely... in fact in 20 years most people won't have any idea what it is, what is does or how they can use it. :D
The 4K price is fine for a McIntosh
If it matched the current crop of well performing DAC's... but it doesn't, so it isn't fine really.

JSmith

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Absolutely... in fact in 20 years most people won't have any idea what it is, what is does or how they can use it. :D

JSmith
I thought that about turntables... twenty years ago.
I should go and google Crystal Ball Science Review now.

Top Bottom