• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preview: Monolith by Monoprice Desktop THX Headphone Amp & DAC

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
Hi @amirm and all.

I must say THX isn't happy with the experience Amir has had with this unit. Although THX and DIRAC are only providers of some tech used in this product (we didn't design it), we're never happy when a customer isn't happy.

I've notified Monoprice's designers about this thread and asked that they look into this asap. I'm hoping it's just a simple mix-up with a pre-production unit getting mistakenly shipped.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi @amirm and all.

I must say THX isn't happy with the experience Amir has had with this unit. Although THX and DIRAC are only providers of some tech used in this product (we didn't design it), we're never happy when a customer isn't happy.

I've notified Monoprice's designers about this thread and asked that they look into this asap. I'm hoping it's just a simple mix-up with a pre-production unit getting mistakenly shipped.

Ah, I didn't realize you were on the head-fi forum as well. Good to see you, as a representative of THX, answering the needs of the people of community boards!

wadec22

Given that Andrew doesn't know anything about the unit, mine is going back.

While functionality for me has been great, I change gear a lot. Resale on this unit will be a bath if I ever chose to unload it.

Bummer.... I want 1 unit with a display, great SINAD, low impedance compatibility and 1/4" & XLR output. Damn thing doesn't exist at reasonable price yet...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm and all.

Thank you so much Andrew. Much appreciated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Seems to make the third party THX labeling a bit specious.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What a disappointment!
I'm glad I got the 789 anyway, I already have the awesome DX7 and don't have a use for another DAC....
The 789 is the perfect pair for the DX7 as it provides both Single ended and balanced outputs (just like the DX7) but with low impedance and even more power (if you need it haha).

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
Seems to make the third party THX labeling a bit specious.
That's a bit unfair. The THX Technology label on this unit is related to the AAA IP in the amplifier portion of the signal chain (low distortion, low output impedance, etc etc.), which we verify is working as intended in the production sample unit. It's not the same as THX Certification. And regretfully it's not innoculation against all humans involved in a production ramp won't make a mistake. Fortunately Monoprice has an exchange and return policy to take care of anyone accidentally getting beta firmware. Seems like most people are getting production firmware which is a relief.

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
What a disappointment!
I'm glad I got the 789 anyway, I already have the awesome DX7 and don't have a use for another DAC....
The 789 is the perfect pair for the DX7 as it provides both Single ended and balanced outputs (just like the DX7) but with low impedance and even more power (if you need it haha).
Glad you're enjoying the 789! Yes that one I can confidently say THX did design :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Glad you're enjoying the 789! Yes that one I can confidently say THX did design :)
I'm glad it was designed, I've been looking for something like this for the past couple years!
My favorite part is how it can drive 2 single ended headphones at the same time.
This allows me to eliminate my 2nd amp entirely (especially since its already low impedance output) and just use this one.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It is reassuring news. :)

It seems that, like many other electronics, only having good components is not enough, the implementation (or the design of the whole product) is the most important part. It is good that the 789 and THX nailed it.

Also have to thank @amirm again for the painstaking reviews of so many products. I bought the 789 after reading the review. Now, I can't be happier. Indeed, it produces the best headphone experience I ever have. :D

D

Deleted member 4360

Forgot to note this in the manual:

View attachment 18099

Say what??? Prolong its life? What happens to it if you don't follow that? Something wears out?
A teardown would be interesting to see what capacitors were used... clearly they're worried about discharge... I've only seen this wording on class a power amp manuals (with giant capacitors...). Glad I bought the 789 too :p

AresHarvest

Now, I can't be happier. Indeed, it produces the best headphone experience I ever have. :D

Same here re: best headphone experience. I don't even think about the amp. It just does what it's supposed to do, invisibly*. I've been thoroughly enjoying the (gasp) Monoprice 1060C headphones with it, too.

*sonically invisible, that is. While visible, the tastefully dim pinpoint LED is unobtrusive.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I swore off all monoprice products outside of their cables a long time ago and this is a perfect example of why. The THX technology is impressive but I hope THX is working on getting more brands to adopt it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A teardown would be interesting to see what capacitors were used... clearly they're worried about discharge... I've only seen this wording on class a power amp manuals (with giant capacitors...). Glad I bought the 789 too :p
I agree teardown would be good but can't open this unit and risk not being able to return it.

Oh, my 789 arrived yesterday too. :)

D

Deleted member 4360

I agree teardown would be good but can't open this unit and risk not being able to return it.

Oh, my 789 arrived yesterday too. :)
I based my decision on your review and technical analysis. I've only spent 30 minutes listening with LCD2C's so far. Gain setting 2 is ideal and it sounds fantastic. What I would add to your review is how the unit was presented to the customer. As you said, it performs like a unit that costs much more. Well, if first impressions are anything, the way it's packaged certainly conveys a quality component even before it's plugged in. The only other time I've seen product this nicely packaged is on a $6500 Jeff Rowland integrated amp. Anyway, thanks for doing what you do...

Top Bottom