• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Presto app

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Hullo all. If any of you buy music from Presto (prestomusic.com), they've released their beta streaming library solution to prod together with a handphone app (apple and Android, nothing alas for any blackberry holdouts among you) as well. The app itself seems fairly basic, certainly not native, but it allows streaming of any prior purchases, including physical discs (I *think*: I normally buy physical discs from Amazon or Hyperion, but I think there are a couple in the presto app that I bought in physical form).

Guermantes

Hullo all. If any of you buy music from Presto (prestomusic.com), they've released their beta streaming library solution to prod together with a handphone app (apple and Android, nothing alas for any blackberry holdouts among you) as well. The app itself seems fairly basic, certainly not native, but it allows streaming of any prior purchases, including physical discs (I *think*: I normally buy physical discs from Amazon or Hyperion, but I think there are a couple in the presto app that I bought in physical form).
I discovered this last night. I'd bought several physical discs from Presto Classical over the years and they show up in the app for streaming or offline listening. Where I've bought hi-res formats such as SACD or Blu-Ray, there are lossless hi-res versions, otherwise Redbook CDs I've bought are available as lossless 16 bit 44.1 kHz. There is a booklet viewer function, too.

The streaming format appears to be MPEG-4 SLS which is scalable from lossy 160 kbps to "Unlimited (full lossless)". There is a save for offline playback option but I haven't explored to see if it is FLAC or some other format (potentially M4A with some form of DRM involved).

The service is a pleasant no-cost addition for customers of discs or downloads. I don't think it will be competing with Spotify, Tidal, Apple, et. al. for a slice of the streaming pie.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...ncement-presto-music-mobile-app-available-now

[EDIT: added links]

Last edited:

mkt

I wonder if it includes Hyperion which AFAIK doesn’t stream in the usual places.

Guermantes

I wonder if it includes Hyperion which AFAIK doesn’t stream in the usual places.
It does. There are two Steven Osborne Hyperion releases in my library that aren't available on Apple Music and I just streamed a track from one on the Presto mobile app.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Where I've bought hi-res formats such as SACD or Blu-Ray, there are lossless hi-res versions,
Really? I see occasional hi-rez downloads at 24/96 but mostly at 24/28. OTOH, I would not think that either is what I would regard as a "lossless, hi-rez" equivalent of an SACD.

Guermantes

Really? I see occasional hi-rez downloads at 24/96 but mostly at 24/28. OTOH, I would not think that either is what I would regard as a "lossless, hi-rez" equivalent of an SACD.
I suspect these are the download equivalent versions supplied by the labels which are used for encoding into the MPEG-4 stream. As far as I know, Presto has never offered DSD downloads. Anyway, I suspect many of the SACDs I bought were not native DSD recordings but encoded from PCM masters.

mkt

For SACD purchases I see everything from 16/44.1 to 24/192 on the app. Still it’s something.

mkt

I’d really like to get the Presto metadata though.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For SACD purchases I see everything from 16/44.1 to 24/192 on the app. Still it’s something.
OK. Can you link to an example >24/96 for me? I have never seen one.

mkt

I’m noticed some Dacapo’s with higher sample rates.
1623088194977.jpeg

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Cool. I have not stumbled on them.

mkt

Now a streaming service

Top Bottom