• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PreSonus Eris E3.5 Powered Monitor Review ($100/pair)

antikryst

Is it better to buy the wired Presonus 3.5 or the Presonus Bluetooth version. I use it only for my desktop monitor. Not involved in any professional audio work

dont get the BT version if you wont use BT. i just use mine for gaming and watching youtube videos. i also have the topping DX3 pro+ and i realized i dont need BT at all LOL.

Alek_N

EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
Hi! Is the LW correction designed to be applied with the HF/LF pots on the back of the speakers altered, or untouched like with the Erin one?

How about the reflex port - stuffed or not, in this case?

Mal

YouTube review

I was thinking of perhaps replacing my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s with these, I quite like the idea of tone controls, as my Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s have trashy highs. But this video says the tone controlst don't do much to help the trashy highs! Is that a general problem with other bargain monitors? Would I better buying a schiit loki to try and fix my Wharfedale's? Or are they beyond even the loki's ability to fix? Anyone fixed these, or similar moniors/speakers with a loki and have the measurements to prove it? Please don't say use Equaliser APO - it isn't available for my computer source ... a chromebox...

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
at speaker can set LF -2 and the boom bass is reduce. enhance the low mid is important 350 hz Q1 + 3 db and low shelf 61 hz or subwoofer use. this is FR in my room with around 10 qm basotek damped does not help to get better FR. .only LF - 2 set on eris no other eq . but best is measure yourself in your room what happen. REW can work in java on handy. also with the built in microphine is better than nothing for the range 100 hz- 10 khz

eris 3.5 LF - 2 db.jpg

Last edited:

citral

Hmm, honestly there must have been something seriously wrong with OP's pair, or a revision down the line, because doing -6db on the highs and +3 on the lows sounds absolutely terrible, extremely muffled and boomy. I'm not a giant expert but I have a musician's ear and use SHP9500, kanas pro, toneking earbuds etc, I use Yam's MSP5 since 20+ years and while this 100$ pair obviously can't compete, it sounds like a cheap but decent version at 0/0 and HORRIBLE at -6/+3, and the proposed EQs only make it worse.

Main offender being that -9.5 at 8k, there's literally no cymbal left, sucks all the air dry.

I do agree with stuffing the ports though. Overall, it's not really studio / neutral, but it's certainly a lot better than any cheap so-called "hifi" or gaming set.

Last edited:

citral

I took my MSP5 downstairs to make a comparison, I don't have measuring equipment so this was done by ear mind you, but Maiky76's suggestion isn't too far off for me, just sounds better with port stuffed to avoid the boomy resonance in the bass.

Presonus Eris E3.5 APO EQ
01-2022

Preamp: -0.1 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 54.6 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.24
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 107.9 Hz Gain -9.95 dB Q 1.5
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1037 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 1.51
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1654 Hz Gain -7.05 dB Q 4.13
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3382 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 1
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6494 Hz Gain -1.77 dB Q 2.42
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9160 Hz Gain -3.72 dB Q 0.73
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 17116 Hz Gain -3.84 dB Q 4

So just had to adjust band 7 and 8 to get back the detail on cymbals (was -9.5 and -6.2 before, way too dark, but I'd expect high variations per device in that ultra budget segment).

Overall they sound soft with much less detail than the MSP5, everything is a bit slow, bass, transients etc. but it's ok timbre wise imho, not the worst to listen to old vinyles paired with a line-out turntable for example

Last edited:
Top Bottom