• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PreSonus E5 XT Active Speaker Review

Nemo

Forum Donor
Another interesting review from @amirm :)

The Frequency Response is not a major problem given that the dispersion is adequate, as both the on-board and software EQ can improve the response: the distortion however is a characteristic that prospective buyers should consider regarding their intended use and budget.

I have not seen any other member using the more expensive PreSonus Scepter S8, so I wanted to briefly mention my experience with them. I got them shortly after moving to Washington DC, when they have just being introduced, and following a positive review on Sound On Sound. After a bed and a couch, they were next in my unfurnished rental apartment, something I believe will resonate with other ASR memebers.
IMG_20150305_122243.jpg

They found their place in a nicer apartment when my lovely partner and I moved together still in DC, as well to our very comfortable rental in Oslo. Having the on-board EQ was very useful to accommodate for domestic placement, and I found their performance nothing short of stunning, with great authority and very clear sound. My better-half enjoyed using them for streaming and movies as well:
DSC_0201.jpg

They are still in storage in Oslo, waiting for our job situation to stabilize. they are sorely missed, but at least I get to use my headphones ;)

If I were to start over, funds permitting I would aspire to go the Genelec/Neumann or even D&D 8C route, but I seriously doubt the difference in price is justifiable in terms of acoustic performance. Just my two cents.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
They are still in storage in Oslo, waiting for our job situation to stabilize. they are sorely missed, but at least I get to use my headphones ;)
Send 'em to Amir! Though I'm sure shipping would cost almost as much as the monitors.

Beyond Genelec The Ones and Tannoys, coaxial design seems to be rare. Very curious to see how these test.

Nemo

Forum Donor
Send 'em to Amir! Though I'm sure shipping would cost almost as much as the monitors.

Beyond Genelec The Ones and Tannoys, coaxial design seems to be rare. Very curious to see how these test.

Things are moving very slow for us, but I would certainly like to see them reviewed!

I was considering the E8 XT which has had generally positive reviews elsewhere, but so has the E5 XT so it being this bad makes me concerned for it's bigger brother. Is it likely / possible that these issues are unique to the E5 XT and won't present themselves on the E8 XT?

Maiky76

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Another interesting review from @amirm :)

The Frequency Response is not a major problem given that the dispersion is adequate, as both the on-board and software EQ can improve the response: the distortion however is a characteristic that prospective buyers should consider regarding their intended use and budget.

I have not seen any other member using the more expensive PreSonus Scepter S8, so I wanted to briefly mention my experience with them. I got them shortly after moving to Washington DC, when they have just being introduced, and following a positive review on Sound On Sound. After a bed and a couch, they were next in my unfurnished rental apartment, something I believe will resonate with other ASR memebers.
View attachment 82372

They found their place in a nicer apartment when my lovely partner and I moved together still in DC, as well to our very comfortable rental in Oslo. Having the on-board EQ was very useful to accommodate for domestic placement, and I found their performance nothing short of stunning, with great authority and very clear sound. My better-half enjoyed using them for streaming and movies as well:
View attachment 82374

If I were to start over, funds permitting I would aspire to go the Genelec/Neumann or even D&D 8C route, but I seriously doubt the difference in price is justifiable in terms of acoustic performance. Just my two cents.

These are very good value for the money indeed. Although, like many studio monitors, they don't particularly look "furniture grade" enough -- I've turned off/unplugged the blue front lights. I'll be keeping mine until they break. The next uprgade path with a similar coaxial horn config is going to be substantially much more expensive... I'd rather buy a complete set of these matching speakers for a multichannel system than buy two equivalent more expensive speakers just to setup the usual old stereo configuration.

cbrworm

If you had to choose between these, equalized using APO, etc., or the Micca RB42 w/ a halfway decent AB 100wpc amp, both w/ an external DAC in the recommended list for near-field listening, but potentially at medium to loud volumes, do you have a recommendation? I bought both, planning to replace old, but still working, first-gen Mackie MR5 w/ the E5 and also set up the RB42s as computer speakers. The E5 XT, I immediately put back in the box due to high-frequency ear pain and lack of bass, the RB42 I honestly don't really have any complaints aside from port noise and LF distortion at mid-high levels (which is OK for the intended use and might be a sign to turn it down) and slight lack of high end, and an overall not super-awesome SQ - but better (in my mind) to the powered edifiers of a similar price. It had not occurred to me to EQ the E5 XT, as the Mackies never needed EQ'ing for my use. I don't have space for the much-lauded LSR305. It did occur to me later though, that while the E5 might not replace my Mackies, they might be better nearfield w/ EQ than the RB42. Primarily if I could lower the HF response and get better LF extension than the Miccas.

Thoughts? The E5's are boxed up and ready to go back at this point.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks for the impressions, @cbrworm. I've been jonesin' for some Mackie reviews here at ASR because I think they could have good showings in their respective price ranges. Maybe give CR5-XBT or MR624 a look? What's your motivation for replacing the MR5s?

One thing ASR doesn't measure is long-term reliability, and I wonder how long budget gear in particular is going to hold up. As I said earlier in this thread, the regular Eris E5s only seemed to last a year or two with very light use.

Last edited:

cbrworm

My only reason for replacing them was that I figured some modern monitors w/ a decent waveguide for the tweeter would be better than the Mackies I've been using since I retired the blue face Tannoy Reveals about, I don't know, 15 years ago (which still work BTW)? I figured worst case, they would sound essentially similar but be more cohesive due to better driver time alignment with the deep waveguide, and they'd be new. I figured best case, they would be modern and have some audible improvements, namely higher clean SPL and possibly better LF extension. I was also interested in having the port up front to avoid some rear wall interaction. I know the JBL monitors are the king of low-price monitors, but first, they are too large for this spot. Second, I use the original LSR308 set w/ the matching sub at work. While they do sound pretty good, the hiss at low levels or with no input really gets to me. It prompted me to put them on a power strip that I turn off when I'm not actively using them. In another room at work, I use a set of Eris E4.5, with which I am really happy with. They seem to have a midbass hump that I can deal with and it doesn't bother me - but it is a small booth. That is another one of the things that pushed me towards the new E5 XT, was my satisfaction with the old E4.5s. I realize it takes my ears some time to 'burn in' to new speakers, and I'm also one to add a bit of a smile curve when I am listening for pleasure, but I don't think I've ever heard a set of monitors this hot out of the box. Maybe it's my source? Maybe I need to drag out a turntable and a phono preamp and use a pure analog source. Now I'm questioning myself and my ears.

But, I realize room interaction plays a huge difference. Maybe if I put the E4.5s in this room, they would also push me out with treble.

I'm really torn between my immediate reaction of thinking the RB42s are decent enough (when they shouldn't be given their size and cost) and thinking that surely I could make the E5 XT sound better than them with some EQ for use as computer speakers (for one of my kids). It would be nice to not have to deal with any external amps, additional volume controls, etc.

Edit: and yes, the MR624 looks interesting - I don't think it would fit in this space, but it might be worth looking at a little more closely.

cbrworm

Yes, it was actually Maiky76's post that made me wonder if I could EQ them to be significantly better than the RB42. I'm essentially at a point where I am going to keep my Mackies in service for work stuff - I don't want to have to do any EQing there - just as straight a signal path as possible, and try to decide whether the E5 XTs can be EQ'd to sound better (as a consumer speaker) for my kid to use with a PC for music and movies than the Micca RB42 set, which didn't offend me out of the box. Cost-wise, they will probably be pretty comparable after adding the extra pieces to make them work. The Micca's are less expensive and they don't sound bad. They may not sound awesome, but for their size, apparent build quality, and cost, I think they sound great. I wasn't expecting much and I'm impressed. They obviously need an amp and wiring and stuff.

The Presonus, on the other hand, I think I was expecting to be better than everything else I have had, aside from the JBL's, perhaps - but no hiss. Maybe my expectations were too high. My impression of the E4.5s I use at work is still much better. Maybe I've got a defective set. Or maybe it's that my space here isn't treated as well as the rooms at work, but there are no hard surfaces or tile or glass in front of the monitors, they aren't sitting on the desk top. They didn't seem to be super clean in the mid-bass region and they were gritty and painful from ~10K on up. I was thinking it was my source, but I've got several sets of revealing speakers that don't bother me with the same material.

I have to keep in mind that these are all small speakers with small drivers that also happen to cost less than I would normally spend on drivers and crossover components for a 2 way DIY set.

The graph below is what my main speakers sound like, 18 feet away at my listening chair. the 40-50hz hump is due to the room, but I don't mind it. With a little subtractive EQ and time alignment (from my trusty old DEQ2496) I can get the in room response to be very close to 20hz-20khz +/- a few db at my chair. But normally I listen as is. 40 year old speakers and a slightly newer amp. That should show that I am not generally biased against speakers that have lots of high frequency energy, or that I need perfect sound reproduction.

Attachments

• 1604358212701.png
    1604358212701.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 199

Bijuuka

Quite a smackdown for my beloved Eris E5.
Pretty lazy question of mine: Amir posted at the end of quite a few reviews the roon player parametric EQ /Band correction he would suggest to improve the speaker's performance. Not on this one.

I'd like to play a bit with the 5-band parametric eq on my RME ADI 2 DAC and were looking for some baseline to start from. I get the gist of what BYRTT did in post #13, but can't quite nail his correction.

Is there any rule or tip, on which frequenzy i should focus when you have less bands at your disposal than frequenzies that need correction?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.....Is there any rule or tip, on which frequenzy i should focus when you have less bands at your disposal than frequenzies that need correction?
Into post 57/58 Maiky76 share some EQ numbers but can see there is more than five parameters, tonight i can find the time and try post the best alternative numbers to set into a ADI-2 unit..

Bijuuka

Into post 57/58 Maiky76 share some EQ numbers but can see there is more than five parameters, tonight i can find the time and try post the best alternative numbers to set into a ADI-2 unit..

Thanks very much!

I guess this question answers itself, but just leaving the ADI 2 para eq flat and getting an external para eq with more bands would suffice better, right? (This desk of mine is going to get cramped :( )

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thanks very much!

I guess this question answers itself, but just leaving the ADI 2 para eq flat and getting an external para eq with more bands would suffice better, right? (This desk of mine is going to get cramped :( )

Yes for example if you use Jriver or Roon or Foobar as player there is no limit on EQ numbers so Maiky76 EQ string could be used there, but as said i look into limited alternative for ADI-2 tonight and post those numbers :)..

Bijuuka

Yes for example if you use Jriver or Roon or Foobar as player there is no limit on EQ numbers so Maiky76 EQ string could be used there, but as said i look into limited alternative for ADI-2 tonight and post those numbers :)..

Oh I even forgot about the software para eq option. Sadly I don't own most of my music, so foobar is quite out of option for me. The other Options seem reasonable as I can integrate quobuz streaming through roon. But paying additional money each month... just switched from Amazon Music HD to quobuz, because their desktop app is crappy to say the least. That alone already bumped up the monthly costs.
Ah maybe in the future I'll get weak knees, heavy breathing and some sweaty hands ready to let go of some cash and find out what that fuss is all about regarding roon :)

BYRTT

Forum Donor
.....I'd like to play a bit with the 5-band parametric eq on my RME ADI 2 DAC and were looking for some baseline to start from.....

.....Is there any rule or tip, on which frequenzy i should focus when you have less bands at your disposal than frequenzies that need correction?
Here is alternative for limit of 5 times PEQ based on Amir's anechoic data, now i cant remember if ADI-2 can offer real 5 times PEQ or the two of them at stopbands is locked as shelves but then you should get back here and request for that feature, EQ optimation is set for farfield distance 2 meters or more, that is smooth sound power is weighted over smooth flat on axis or listening window, have fun..

Bijuuka_x1x2x2_1000mS.gif

Last edited:

bennybbbx

maybe somebody with a eris 5 can please post the step response ?

Last edited:

clownstyle

Well this makes pretty dissapointing reading after just ordering x2 Eris 5XT's :(

Looking online these seemed to be a really good choice as well.

Sorry for being a newb, but how would I apply these filters that people have posted when my speakers do arrive? They will be used for mixing / mastering. Thanks

bennybbbx

Quite a smackdown for my beloved Eris E5.
Pretty lazy question of mine: Amir posted at the end of quite a few reviews the roon player parametric EQ /Band correction he would suggest to improve the speaker's performance. Not on this one.

I'd like to play a bit with the 5-band parametric eq on my RME ADI 2 DAC and were looking for some baseline to start from. I get the gist of what BYRTT did in post #13, but can't quite nail his correction.

Is there any rule or tip, on which frequenzy i should focus when you have less bands at your disposal than frequenzies that need correction?

maybe you think this thread usefull. most important is correct bass upto 1 khz. i have 7 bands and i need not more as 5. there is also hear test so can try to hear diffrence between the smoothings. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-do-the-ears-really-smooth.19449/#post-646106 I use smoothing 1/2 in REW.

Top Bottom