• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Are there any control stamps on Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 similar to those on amplifier in the attached image?

Edit:
Or any other type of documentation from the manufacturer regarding the amplifier Amir tested?

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_110342_copy_1248x1248 (2) (1).jpg
    IMG_20210606_110342_copy_1248x1248 (2) (1).jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

douede

Arif07

Show me a manual that we have tested these specifications. It is a given that they have tested them. It is like a car manufacturer saying we have driven the car...

A published specification is what the customer should get on his unit -- end-off!
I had the mini gan 5 go into protection mode on one channel and they had to send another here in the uk. it is strange that it did not work initially as i had no such problems (faulty?)and it sounded better than my behringer a800 at higher frequencies and soundstage.but maybe a slight difference in the two mini gan amps Ive had in sound.(qc problems?).

Xii-Nyth

As a pc guy that ventialtion looks very good to me and I wish more cases had more of a thought out and tasteful design with it, although the implementation here seems to promote air to move from the front to the top missing all the components. since theres barely any elivation at the bottom of the chassis and no air is gonna go in from any holes there except for around the edges

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Anybody have a Starcrimson/BOSC amp they want to send @amirm? A good GAN amplifier?
Someone here, cough cough, published a pile of measurements on it. And has an Ultra about 18 inches away.

scolino

I am not sure that your technical conclusions are valid. It seems like you had great difficulty in getting the system running, and there seem to be some strange observations.

When a GaN amplifier is designed correctly, the open loop linearity is much higher than that of any silicon MOSFET based amplifier, and the power dissipation much lower. That can only make any system better.

Perhaps there was a problem with the unit or a problem with your setup?

Please take down this post until we can figure out what is wrong and get it corrected.

If anyone would like to discuss the benefits of GaN in Class D amplifiers, please contact me.

Steve Colino, Efficient Power Conversion Corporation

[email protected]

daniboun

Major Contributor
I am not sure that your technical conclusions are valid. It seems like you had great difficulty in getting the system running, and there seem to be some strange observations.

When a GaN amplifier is designed correctly, the open loop linearity is much higher than that of any silicon MOSFET based amplifier, and the power dissipation much lower. That can only make any system better.

Perhaps there was a problem with the unit or a problem with your setup?

Please take down this post until we can figure out what is wrong and get it corrected.

If anyone would like to discuss the benefits of GaN in Class D amplifiers, please contact me.

[email protected]

Seems that Gan amps do not really have success here ... another example :

P_M

[email protected]
How about you figure out, get it corrected, and then we can take down this post ? and replace it with the corrections ?

daniboun

Major Contributor
How about you figure out, get it corrected, and then we can take down this post ? and replace it with the corrections ?

I think it's a speech of the deaf ... Premium Audio was supposed to send a new Mini Gan to Amir ... we never knew the rest ....

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
@scolino Is EPC supplying the GaN FETs used in this product?

Why do you care about a review of a seemingly bad implementation? Leave it to Premium Audio Products to defend their own... products.

scolino

I would be happy to. Please send me the amplifier.

GaN is simply a better transistor that is more efficient and increases open loop linearity.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I would be happy to. Please send me the amplifier.

GaN is simply a better transistor that is more efficient and increases open loop linearity.

Could you please answer : Is EPC supplying the GaN FETs for Premium Audio ?

Top Bottom