• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Yah, this amp is a POS for anywhere near the price.
Ridiculous copy on the website just turns me off even further.
I'd hate to see a retest of this when potentially interesting, potentially high quality products are waiting to be tested.
I know this has already been said many times. Just tossing one more vote in the hat.

musicforcities

To the tune of Lola by the Kinks:

Well, I made my account just a week before.
And I never ever owned class d before.
But AIYIMA showed up at my front door.
And said, “come on ABoy I’m gonna make you D Man!”

Well I’m not the worlds most audiophile man,
But I know what AMIRM likes
And what he likes he tests on his Audio Precision Analyzer!
A P A Aud-Audio Analyzer!

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
You obviously do not understand the concept of Quality Control. QC means testing every unit that leaves the factory against the published specification within a tolerance. As 127W measured against 300W published is in no way can be treated as within limit, the device should have failed QC there and then. However, it is proved with @amirm's tests that it is not the case. They sold a failed unit.

You re right. I sincerely think that Premium Audio does not demonstrate a QC worthy of the name. I chatted with the representatives and remember they said they tested each amp for a week before shipping them out.
This is indeed proof of a notable failure in Quality Control. It's a shame because it tarnishes their brand image ....

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You obviously do not understand the concept of Quality Control. QC means testing every unit that leaves the factory against the published specification within a tolerance. As 127W measured against 300W published is in no way can be treated as within limit, the device should have failed QC there and then. However, it is proved with @amirm's tests that it is not the case. They sold a failed unit.
Where in my posts have you seen any indication that I don't understand QC? I've not discussed QC good or bad, just pointed out that the specs in the manual don't say they have done any testing at all - only that they've written down some specs.

At no point have I said this is a good thing.
At no point have I defended the manufacturer or the device - the opposite, I've criticised both multiple times.

Please stop inferring things from my posts that are not there.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe put mains in on your obviously flawed $800 amp... then we don't need to worry about what laptop power supply is right. Who puts an external power supply on >$500 component? (Rhetorical question. We know, 'Premium' Audio does.)

I digress. Actually, I am
(add your own adverb) confident in Amir's lab power supply, since the manufacturer failed to include a decent power supply in this $800 product.
It does have mains in - as shown in the pictures at the top of the review.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thread is begging to be put out of its misery.
Disagree. On the contrary. Although, for now, it's a pretty uncomfortable story for Premium Audio. Amir does a good deed by measuring and examining this amplifier.:)

It's about consumer information. In the same way buying a dishwasher, a bicycle or whatever. Potential buyers want to know , feel reassured that what they buys lives up to its promise.

By the way, that bullshit from Premium Audio not to participate online, forums, etc. Where do Premium Audio think potential buyers are for their products? Decision to buy based on what? Information on which the decision is made is retrieved from where? Everyone, I mean EVERYONE is looking for information, of course preferably objective , on internet (not just HiFi) . Everyone who is going to buy something nowadays does this:
Google - Product X- Test, measurement (and so on) - ..search .. What then appears if you enter Premium Audio?

How's it going for Topping? Allo Boss for example? Their relationship, communication with, Amir, ASR? Where are their potential customers?

Excuse me for talking basic, texbok page 1A regarding sales, PR and marketing. I know that you who write in this thread know about it. This can even any high school kid who reads the first page of the book on marketing. Just needed to get it out of my system. Excuse me again.I'll stop waffling about it now.:)

It's so stupid that the bells stop.

Maybe I agree with you that so far what needs to be said now in this thread has been said. It's time for round 2. If Amir feels for it.:

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Where do Premium Audio think potential buyers are for their products?

Places where: "Don't look at specs and measurements. They tell you nothing about SQ. Trust me when I say that this amplifier sounds better than Class-A. And most importantly, trust your ears!" makes perfect sense. A few subjective reviews persuaded in a favorable direction, and people will happily believe that this amp is the sword that splits the The Gordian Knot. Any attempt at pointing out facts or reasoning will be become futile.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Places where: "Don't look at specs and measurements. .
Then I say good luck.:)

Maybe you're right. It was many years since the last time I did Hifi. I assume based on what it normally is otherwise with other non-hifi related products.Maybe it's a big mistake on my part. Welcome to the upside down world.:)

Anyway:

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5
Their product is niche. Aimed at a group that is a little more actively with Hifi. Remember that ASR loves Class D amplifiers (in many cases). It is natural that potential buyers who google the product end up on ASR. Ask someone who (who previously did not search for Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 on his computer.(due to search history, cache) to search Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 and test, review. What appears?

Regarding price and Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 inputs and setting options. Even Amir seemed to have trouble getting it started. Imagine someone who is not that into Hifi. It is a product aimed at those who are lite more into hifi. Many of them study ASR.

If a non technically interested avrage joe who is looking for a amplifier he can plug in read this. How do you think he reacts? Opens up his wallet?

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5
"WARNING NOTE: This is a Full Bridge Class D Gallium Nitride
audio amplifier and while both loudspeaker outputs are
ground-referenced, neither is connected to ground. DO NOT
CONNECT EITHER OF THESE LOUDSPEAKER OUTPUTS TO ANY
SYSTEM OR TEST EQUIPMENT GROUND!

Before You plug this amplifier into the AC Socket wall, please be sure to check the AC
Voltage Selection Switch located on the Bottom Side of the amplifier. Use a coin,
screwdriver, or other to set this switch to the correct position for the AC Voltage for your
area. If you are unsure of the AC voltage in your area, please be sure to ask a local
electrician before you plug this into the wall socket. Choices are 110 VAC and 220 VAC."

Attachments

• shot_2021-10-07_14-28-21.png
    shot_2021-10-07_14-28-21.png
    871.4 KB · Views: 79
  • shot_2021-10-07_14-28-43.png
    shot_2021-10-07_14-28-43.png
    846.8 KB · Views: 74
  • shot_2021-10-07_14-28-59.png
    shot_2021-10-07_14-28-59.png
    931.7 KB · Views: 78

pma

Major Contributor
So the millennials and younger are lazy to even set a voltage switch?? Maybe the robots would be asked to feed us in a few years. And to think instead of us as well.

DanielT

Major Contributor
So the millennials and younger are lazy to even set a voltage switch?? Maybe the robots would be asked to feed us in a few years. And to think instead of us as well.
Well, maybe not but as part of the whole? Balanced and unbalanced inputs then?

People want it simple. Preferably without cables, with bluetooth, plug and play.
Which leads to another question. Developable in sound and hifi. This may be the subject of a new thread (there are probably already threads about it on ASR). :)

I found this interesting as Kal Rubinson, Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile wrote in another thread:

"Yes, in fact, in the very early days, you had no choice regardless of your budget. If you could not DIY, you commissioned someone to do it for you. Empty speaker and equipment cabinets were available along with custom cabinetry. My first real speaker had a 12 "GE woofer and a 3" RCA tweeter with a network I designed and assembled myself. The cabinet was a floor-standing bass reflex which I bought, unfinished, from River Edge. I was fortunate to have a cousin who finished it for me in satin mahogany. "

Edit :

Remember what Amir said about the amplifier:

"I had trouble getting the amplifier to function initially. It would simply not output anything. I played with grounding as I have seen some very low end amps cause AP to not be able to capture their output due to high level of noise (despite my use of AES-17 filter). This did not work at first so I switched inputs to RCA. That did not work either. After some fiddling and switching back to balanced input, the amp all of a sudden started to work. Not sure how much of this is interaction with Audio Precision or design issue. Either way, it is an exception to the rule of 95% of amplifiers I have measured."

Simple? Plug and play?With that said, reservation in case there is something wrong with that sour grumpy amplifier.

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe put mains in on your obviously flawed $800 amp... then we don't need to worry about what laptop power supply is right. Who puts an external power supply on >$500 component?
Orchard Audio does, and their Starkrimson amp appears to far outperform this one.

pma

Major Contributor
Remember what Amir said about the amplifier:

"I had trouble getting the amplifier to function initially. It would simply not output anything. I played with grounding as I have seen some very low end amps cause AP to not be able to capture their output due to high level of noise (despite my use of AES-17 filter). This did not work at first so I switched inputs to RCA. That did not work either. After some fiddling and switching back to balanced input, the amp all of a sudden started to work. Not sure how much of this is interaction with Audio Precision or design issue. Either way, it is an exception to the rule of 95% of amplifiers I have measured."

My AIYIMA A07 sometimes would not start operating the left channel. The right channel is OK. The left channel has then very high level of ultrasonic noise and highly attenuated signal throughput. Whatsthat?? Turn it on-off several times and it starts to work. In such cases you need to hook up the oscilloscope and not the AP. Some issue in the chip start-up sequence? Probably. I tell you frankly, I hate these chipamp class D toys.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
My AIYIMA A07 sometimes would not start operating the left channel. The right channel is OK. The left channel has then very high level of ultrasonic noise and highly attenuated signal throughput. Whatsthat?? Turn it on-off several times and it starts to work. In such cases you need to hook up the oscilloscope and not the AP. Some issue in the chip start-up sequence? Probably. I tell you frankly, I hate these chipamp class D toys.
Ever thought about, that your piece is broken?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, I have no direct experience of so many chipamp class D. . Is not it like with everything else? There are good and bad, in terms of quality, that is?

We discussed a bit regarding reliability, quality and meeting the technical specifications in this thread:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
just pointed out that the specs in the manual don't say they have done any testing at all - only that they've written down some specs.
Show me a manual that we have tested these specifications. It is a given that they have tested them. It is like a car manufacturer saying we have driven the car...

A published specification is what the customer should get on his unit -- end-off!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Please lets not divert the discussion onto different class D amps again - we did that back at around page 7 and caused epic confusion as a result.

This thread is about the miniGaN
Most excellent suggestion Sir! Let’s all follow this advice please. BZ- @tonycollinet.

TK750

Not sure the 'millennials and younger' are much of a target market for hifi equipment my friend? Perhaps you may need to look in the mirror =P

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Places where: "Don't look at specs and measurements. They tell you nothing about SQ. Trust me when I say that this amplifier sounds better than Class-A. And most importantly, trust your ears!" makes perfect sense. A few subjective reviews persuaded in a favorable direction, and people will happily believe that this amp is the sword that splits the The Gordian Knot. Any attempt at pointing out facts or reasoning will be become futile.

There problem.

Top Bottom