• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

PeteL

Major Contributor
to be fair this amplifer is 7 times more expensive than the Topping Amplifier. for it to be recommended it has to contend at its price tag.
But this one is 3 times more powerful tough, and it does seem to behave a bit better. I also disagree with the Panthers, I think neither should be recommended but also that neither are deserving headless, they are both OK but greatly unimpressive.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks like it has a similar implementation as Infineon's EVAL_AUDAMP24 based on performance (just guessing here, probably used different GaN fet). The floating heatsink is for hiding the components used from eagle eyed critics ;)

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the large disparity between the published specs and the measured performance, especially given the burst-power graph that the manufacturer has apparently owned, I wonder if this example has some sort of production fault, perhaps in the power supply, that is limiting its performance. The inability to produce anywhere near the rated power has me especially suspicious, because that misrepresentation would be so easy to discover, and would support a complaint to the FTC.

Rick "has anyone communicated with the manufacturer?" Denney

PeteL

Major Contributor
Given the large disparity between the published specs and the measured performance, especially given the burst-power graph that the manufacturer has apparently owned, I wonder if this example has some sort of production fault, perhaps in the power supply, that is limiting its performance. The inability to produce anywhere near the rated power has me especially suspicious, because that misrepresentation would be so easy to discover, and would support a complaint to the FTC.

Rick "has anyone communicated with the manufacturer?" Denney
I guess the manufacturer is as free as anybody to comment here, or to reach out to Amir

DanielT

Major Contributor
Uh, US $ 799 (recent price increase ... and that performance. Do not agree at all with those who say that money does not matter. Of course , why should I throw out a lot of $ when I can buy an Aiyima A07. Which is a much cheaper amplifier (which has already been pointed out in this thread) and which also measures better.:)

If it is now in the size I'm looking for.

Or take a classic. Rotel RB-870BX
It is possible to run it in bridge mode.Used $ 250( give or take $ 75,depending on condition ).

This is how an amplifier should measure / perform. The real good stuff. see attached photo. Note measured in 100 W.

It is possible that heating of the soldering iron and recap is necessary for such an old treat, but apart from that .. 100 watt thd.jpg
100 watt thd.jpg

Attachments

• 3234888956_baef8bb881.jpg
    3234888956_baef8bb881.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 122
  • dhzm6pfzbywj5zs3oif8.jpg
    dhzm6pfzbywj5zs3oif8.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the manufacturer is as free as anybody to comment here, or to reach out to Amir
The manufacturer may be blissfully ignorant of this review. I'm not saying that contacting the manufacturer is Amir's job as a reviewer, but had I bought this amp and noted this performance, I would certainly be directing some questions back to the manufacturer, if for no other reason in preparation for returning it.

Rick "a matter of courtesy and due diligence" Denney

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
did you guys know in Indian (asian) language GAN means ass (not mule, but the arse variety).
Thanks for your contribution to this thread. Didn’t need alternate meanings for a tech speak.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The manufacturer may be blissfully ignorant of this review. I'm not saying that contacting the manufacturer is Amir's job as a reviewer, but had I bought this amp and noted this performance, I would certainly be directing some questions back to the manufacturer, if for no other reason in preparation for returning it.

Rick "a matter of courtesy and due diligence" Denney
I am quite convinced someone has told him about this review by now. Not negating what you say. When I was in this business I was receiving questions from reviewers all the time and it's indeed nice courtesy.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Uh, US $ 799 (recent price increase ... and that performance. Do not agree at all with those who say that money does not matter. Of course , why should I throw out a lot of $ when I can buy an Aiyima A07. Which is a much cheaper amplifier (which has already been pointed out in this thread) and which also measures better.:)
Do you have measurments for the Aiyima A07?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you have measurments for the Aiyima A07?

This simply does not look good for the Premium Audio Mini GaN 5

Attachments

• shot_2021-10-05_17-47-03.png
    shot_2021-10-05_17-47-03.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
It is not better than this. And @amirm has omitted 8Ohm FR. I measured it (A07) and also with real speakers. It is a poor amplifier, as many chip amp class D are.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It is not better than this. And @amirm has omitted 8Ohm FR. I measured it (A07) and also with real speakers. It is a poor amplifier, as many chip amp class D are.
But it's not much worse neither.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sad. When speaker ,in reality ,has to fight with amplifiers again.How ****** you were against Aiyima. Put it to the test like that (joking, on the contrary well done!).:)

The military: If the map does not correspond to reality then the reality is wrong.:D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD better for A07
SNR and dynamic range better for A07
Frequency response better for A07 (and though not measured, I'd bet it doesn't have that weird hump at 8ohm)
Mini GaN better only at crosstalk

The A07 doesn't completely fail to meet it's published specificaation.

And all for about 12% of the price with a PSU added.

Say again - not better than this? I have to say - you seem to have an agenda. Have you bought one of the MiniGaN?

pma

Major Contributor
SINAD better for A07

SINAD 1kHz means nothing or not much to me. This is the measurement I care about, and I would also appreciate IMD measurements - both based on decades of experience with amplifier design. I do not agree that this is "very clean". I find it as a nonlinearity with high frequency dependence and poor predictability - see 19+20kHz plots.

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Measurements power into 4 ohm vs frequency and distortion.png

Unfortunately this measurement was not provided for the Audio Mini GaN, so the reviews are inconsistent.

Let me add my own measurement of A07
A07_THD45kHz_60Hz-15kHz.png

Last edited:

GimeDsp

I think Amir was pretty straight forward even saying the issues could possibly be AP related. He even checked the AP by re measuring an old amp.
Everytime a product doesn't do well there is always a surge of optimism the reason is anything other than the product, I get it, we all want the stuff we buy to do well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom