• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , which one you think is better? Interestingly enough, beheaded panther vs. recommended component :facepalm:.
Careful, the bandwidth for those measurements is not the same.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I checked that. As best I can identify, it is set to 110. I am not sure what the switch is doing anyway as this has a switching power supply.

My generic industrial SMPS units also have (functional!) mains input voltage selectors, but my SMPS-powered 2nd Wave Kali IN-8 monitors don't. There are apparently a multitude of both breeds available.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What a waste of natural resources and energy. E-waste.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SaltyCDogg

Volkswagen were taken to task for publishing unachievable MPG figures for their vehicles. Specially tricked out models on perfectly smooth test tracks with all the vents taped up.

Perhaps if you taped up all the vents on this it would perform better? Or catch fire... Either way :p

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Do you ever do listening tests on amplifiers?

daniboun

Major Contributor
First of all thank you Amir for this very informative review.

Would like to share what have been reported by the manufacturer about the shared Graph.
I think that says a lot about the good attentions of the manufacturer ... I must admit that for an American product, I do not know what to think about it anymore ....

"Hi,

This graph was from a discussion I was having with someone and it was regarding the amps headroom. This little amp puts out lots of power and lots of very clean headroom. Some of the components of the amp are not made to handle this king of power for long periods so it is rated at 200W RMS per channel into 8 ohms.

Tom"

Mini-Gam-measures.png

At the same time I share all the answers given by the manufacturer and I quote about the Heatsinks :

ClassDaudio :

"Yes, I already addressed this in the last email. We have been working on this amp for over two years. We did use to have the heatsink over the GaN FETs and using thermal compound and also thermal pads. What we found kind of by accident is the amp actually ran a little cooler having the heatsink raised above the FETs like it is and drawing a little heat away from the PCB. The GaN FETs can run at over the rated power without a heatsink, but taking some of the heat from the PCB does help with cooling. This is not a design problem or error."

So you can compare VS again the one from Premium Audio :

"The inductors were changed because as most know, there is a world-wide chip and parts shortage. The original coils we used were back ordered for months. These toroids have the exact same performance as the others we used. We did just got a few thousand pieces in (that were ordered for months). The toroids actually run a little cooler and performance is exactly the same. As for the as you called it flying heatsinks, we originally had them mounted on the FETs with thermal pads and other, but found the amp actually runs a little cooler like this. The heatsink raised like this draws some heat from the PCB and the FETs can run at rated power without heatsink. "

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

@amirm , which one you think is better? Interestingly enough, beheaded panther vs. recommended component :facepalm:.
This amp is $799 and Topping PA3s is about $150. You can not compare them with the same stick.
More appropriate comparison is between Topping PA3s and AIYIMA A07.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
This amp is $799 and Topping PA3s is about $150. You can not compare them with the same stick.

Frankly, I do not care about price. There are $30K products worse than other $1K products. All I care about are parameters, reliability, built quality, not the price. Price tells almost nothing.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly, I do not care about price. There are $30K products worse than other $1K products. All I care about are parameters, reliability, built quality, not the price. Price tells almost nothing.

And you get that in the measurements. The panther also takes value for money into account.

Further - the Mini Gan dramatically fails to meet its published specifications. The PA3s doesn't.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

...There are $30K products worse than other $1K products. ...
True, but...
One would expect slightly worse measurement in cheaper equipment and many will gladly accept the lower price.
My point is: is there any better amplifier than Topping PA3s, for about the same price (and power output)? AIYIMA A07 comes to my mind...

mcdn

Forum Donor
I bought this and sent it to Amir because the 'floating heatsink' thread was getting so silly I felt it was worth my dollars to just inject some facts: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...by-premium-audio-pictures-video-inside.26698/

If it came anywhere close to spec I'd be delighted to keep it, but as it is so poor I'm returning it. Any sensible nCore or TPA3255 implementation beats it in every parameter at lower cost.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

price is everything because it tells you whether you can have the product or not. Why should you or anyone care about the reliability, and build quality of a product that you will never get to own?

not all of us are reviewers getting stuff for free.

Edit: If a reviewer doesn't include the price in a review as parameter then they're entertainers not reviewers.

noel_fs

a couple months ago i visited their site and it seemed like classic audiophile smoke but trying to resemble purifi/hyperx, anyway got me curious to see measurements

Koeitje

Major Contributor
First of all thank you Amir for this very informative review.

Would like to share what have been reported by the manufacturer about the shared Graph.
I think that says a lot about the good attentions of the manufacturer ... I must admit that for an American product, I do not know what to think about it anymore ....

"Hi,

This graph was from a discussion I was having with someone and it was regarding the amps headroom. This little amp puts out lots of power and lots of very clean headroom. Some of the components of the amp are not made to handle this king of power for long periods so it is rated at 200W RMS per channel into 8 ohms.

Tom"

Mini-Gam-measures.png

At the same time I share all the answers given by the manufacturer and I quote about the Heatsinks :

ClassDaudio :

"Yes, I already addressed this in the last email. We have been working on this amp for over two years. We did use to have the heatsink over the GaN FETs and using thermal compound and also thermal pads. What we found kind of by accident is the amp actually ran a little cooler having the heatsink raised above the FETs like it is and drawing a little heat away from the PCB. The GaN FETs can run at over the rated power without a heatsink, but taking some of the heat from the PCB does help with cooling. This is not a design problem or error."

So you can compare VS again the one from Premium Audio :

"The inductors were changed because as most know, there is a world-wide chip and parts shortage. The original coils we used were back ordered for months. These toroids have the exact same performance as the others we used. We did just got a few thousand pieces in (that were ordered for months). The toroids actually run a little cooler and performance is exactly the same. As for the as you called it flying heatsinks, we originally had them mounted on the FETs with thermal pads and other, but found the amp actually runs a little cooler like this. The heatsink raised like this draws some heat from the PCB and the FETs can run at rated power without heatsink. "
This is such bullshit. Floating heatsinks? Hilarious.

Also this amp doesn't even reach 200W.

Top Bottom