• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

gentlejax

More likely human hearing just isn't all that it's made out to be.

I was reffering the part of the review that said the amp was underpowered / over rated . not the hearing aspect. I dont have magic hearing and dont expect an amp to suddenly allow me to hear angels singing in the background that were not there before. I never tried to say things like that cause I have had more amps than underwear and I am not sure I can hear the difference. I go the gan5 because efficiency and being new with warranty . I have a crown class D amp too. I dont know if I can tell the difference between the 2 but I dont care enough to try and find out.

RoyB

Forum Donor
I have a crown class D amp too. I dont know if I can tell the difference between the 2 but I dont care enough to try and find out.

I've been looking at the Crown XLS 1502 amplifier...... Interesting that you have the Mini GaN5 also. I had the Mini to try but as I stated above, it went back....Great amplifier, but it was redundant. The Crown Class D products intrigue me..... Dollars for performance seems hard to beat!

gentlejax

I've been looking at the Crown XLS 1502 amplifier...... Interesting that you have the Mini GaN5 also. I had the Mini to try but as I stated above, it went back....Great amplifier, but it was redundant. The Crown Class D products intrigue me..... Dollars for performance seems hard to beat!

I have the 1502 actually. got a great deal on it. using it for my subs. might get another in future. hard to beat even if they are "dirty"

0hm357aW

I'm still enjoying my Mini GaN 5. Once the warranty ends I'm dreaming about changing voltage input to a toroidal type with a graphene super capacitor DC voltage bank just for fun.

Last edited:

rtg97229

You are in the wrong place if this is what you beleive in.
Did you at all investigate why his experience might be what it is? Hint, look at the impedance curve of the speakers the person is using. Also look at the sensitivity of those speakers and think about what might be happening.

musicforcities

I didn't read about what exact instrument device was used for the testing. I read the review. I don't understand the tool, conditions, or logic behind the test. I'm not embarrassed. A good explanation of the instrumentation and methods for this test would be beneficial... Also was the instrument properly calibrated and if so by what method.
undue skepticism of the testing equipment or the tester shows how hard it is for humans to shift their beliefs in the face of evidence.

If you read a bit more of the forum you will find that info.

Amir has been doing this for a while. And has a standard procedure etc. And knows what he is doing. If he had to re-explain every facet and the significance/reason for each test at every review, it would be far too cumbersome. He does not need to write a 40 page paper for every amp tested.

Anyway, how detailed do you want? Either you have high expertise in the field of audio measurement so as to understand even more highly technical details, or you don’t and they won’t help much.

rtg97229

undue skepticism of the testing equipment or the tester shows how hard it is for humans to shift their beliefs in the face of evidence.

If you read a bit more of the forum you will find that info.

Amir has been doing this for a while. And has a standard procedure etc. And knows what he is doing. If he had to re-explain every facet and the significance/reason for each test at every review, it would be far too cumbersome. He does not need to write a 40 page paper for every amp tested.

Anyway, how detailed do you want? Either you have high expertise in the field of audio measurement so as to understand even more highly technical details, or you don’t and they won’t help much.
I do not understand why you would respond in such a way to valid questions. All that is needed is to point one to the answers to their questions. I work in test and measurement and it is absolutely normal to ask about test conditions and calibrations. To an engineer this is not a necessarily an attempt to discredit but more likely an attempt to confirm and understand the results. It is also important for repeatability.

*note: I have zero interest in the Mini GaN 5 and have no vested interest in this review.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[/QUOTE]
I do not understand why you would respond in such a way to valid questions.
Perhaps because you didn't see the initial post from the questioner:

It's obvious this review of this particular PCB has some faults or user operator faults that were not identified. Because my personal experience with Class D and this particular amp has been outstanding and it drives my speakers beautifully to resonate fantastic sounding music I stick with what I know and do question the review results with this particular review.

So, knowing that he didn't understand the testing regime - or in fact have any technical understanding, decided to declare the tests faulty on the grounds that the discredited amp gives (in his opinion) "fantastic sounding music"

Top Bottom