• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Predicted v Measured in room response

dweeeeb2

36131196-3AB4-48F3-AEDC-AF0348A6F02A.jpeg
35F7236A-56A4-4CBB-9CAE-607C6AA23FCE.jpeg
Hi, Ive been looking at spinorama data / speaker reviews and Ive been putting a bit of faith in the "predicted in room response" curve. I understand that its just an average of possible rooms etc and its a best guess, but I was watching a vid on the genelec 8351B (above my price range unfortunately) and I saw that their measured in room response was quite different to the predicted response by Amir. I was just wondering of this difference is normal and expected or is it an outlier?
(sorry about the formatting, im on my phone)
EDIT: speaker vid (sales vid):

Scgorg

The estimated in-room response assumes both a certain level of reflectivity, and a relatively far listening distance. Additionally it is usually only accurate-ish above, say, 300-1000hz depending on your room size, this is because it does not account for room modes or other forms of strong destructive/constructive interference (such as reflections from a mixing desk). If your room is not very reflective, or if your listening distance is relatively close (say, 2 meters or closer) it becomes less accurate, and the actual in-room response will look closer to the anechoic frequency response of the loudspeaker.

D

Deleted member 48726

Well if all rooms were identical..
I've wondered about what to use that exact info for in the reviews.

If one wants to investigate room impact REW has a quite nice room simulator where reflections can be factored among other things.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Predicted In-Room Response is for far-field and that's why it includes 44% Sound Power, 44% Early Reflections and only 12% Listening Window.

But when you are listening near-field you're mostly hearing direct sound so Listening Window is way more important.

Add some below-the-Schroeder messiness, comb-filtering and the measurements in the video start to make total sense.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I saw that their measured in room response was quite different to the predicted response by Amir. I was just wondering of this difference is normal and expected or is it an outlier?
This is a Far Field prediction:
Genelec 8351B predicted in-room Frequency Response Measurements Powered Sutdio Monitor.png

This is a Near Field measurement:
36131196-3AB4-48F3-AEDC-AF0348A6F02A.jpeg
see here:
vlcsnap-2023-04-17-22h56m25s034.png
that's why it does not match the prediction.

However, later in the video he does a Far Field measurement as well:
vlcsnap-2023-04-17-23h03m01s280.png --> vlcsnap-2023-04-17-22h38m30s139.png

And if you overlay this Far Field measurement with Amir's Far Field prediction, you get:
Genelec 8351B Estimated In-Room Response.png
a perfect match :D
(sans room modes)

Last edited:
OP
dweeeeb2

dweeeeb2

Thanks guys, very helpful as Im looking at playing with near v far distance listening in my current setup, thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom