• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I would advise to get a JDS Lab Atom to use as a pre-amp and selector, as you can have one RCA and one 3.5mm input.

Willem

Major Contributor
If you already have a good DAC with volume control you do not need a pre amp. If it does not have an analogue input you can just use a Pro-ject phono ebox optical phono preamp with optical output. I am very happy with mine into an rme ADI-2 DAC.

Last edited:

therobin

I got a DAC3L/AHB2 combo. It is great with the DAC3 not just because the DAC3 is an incredible DAC, but it also functions as a fully featured pre-amp with two analog inputs. I run my turntable and an old gaming console through it. Another bonus with the DAC3 is that it has 2 x optical and 2 x coaxial digital inputs. Most DACs only have one of each. It's USB input can operate as USB audio 1 or 2 for maximum compatibility. It also has a remote option and trigger capabilities to power on/off the amp.

Totally worth it once you factor in all the features and functions of the combo after it's stellar audio performance.

Willem

Major Contributor
The Dac3 would still need a phono pre amp to amplify and equalize the cartridge output to the line level and flat response of the input.
Personally I am deeply suspicious of tubes or vinyl for undistorted and accurate sound.

therobin

Personally I am deeply suspicious of tubes or vinyl for undistorted and accurate sound.
I done some of my own comparisons of vinyl records and their digital counterparts. I concluded the vinyls were the same sound with additional audible noise all around.

But the best reason to have a turntable is access to music not available on digital. People get so caught up in the analog vs digital audiophile debate that they forget their is actual music to be heard. I got some vinyls from my dad which there are no digital copies of and the vinyl is the only way to listen to it. Because of that, I wll always keep a turntable around in case I come accross something not available in digital.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I done some of my own comparisons of vinyl records and their digital counterparts. I concluded the vinyls were the same sound with additional audible noise all around.

But the best reason to have a turntable is access to music not available on digital. People get so caught up in the analog vs digital audiophile debate that they forget their is actual music to be heard. I got some vinyls from my dad which there are no digital copies of and the vinyl is the only way to listen to it. Because of that, I will always keep a turntable around in case I come across something not available in digital.

I am in the same position and have a vinyl rig which I have not used much. I wonder if there is out there a phono stage that performs its RIAA processing in digital à la Devialet. Would be an interesting feature. Problem is, many (most?) Vinyl fans see digital processing as an abomination thus the market for such a product could be quite limited ... Oh! Well ...

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I still have a turntable because my family insisted I keep it to play some old lp's, and because I admit that I have a soft spot for the superb mechanical engineering of the SME 3009 arm. I just like looking at it. When I upgraded my front end by replacing the Quad 33 pre amp with an RME ADI-2 I lost the analogue MM input (and gained rather better sound quality). So I bought the Pro-ject phono pre amp with digital (and analogue) output. Of course it does the RIAA equalization, but I have no idea if it does it in the analogue or the digital domain (probably in analogue because it also has a line output). And of course using it into my ADI-2 involves a double conversion, from analogue to digital and back, but I am not concerned because such conversions tend to measure far better than any vinyl rig and should be completely transparent (the ADI-2 is certainly sonically perfect, and the Pro-ject almost certainly). I hear no obvious sonic defects other than the inherent weaknesses of vinyl compared to digital. To be honest, it is only rarely used.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am in the same position and I have a Vinyl rig, a few years back... I haven't used it for a while. I wonder if there is out there a phono stage that performs its RIAA processing in digital à la Devialet. Would be an interesting feature. Problem is, many (most?) Vinyl fans see digital processing as an abomination thus the market for such a product could be quite limited ... Oh! Well ...

The Puffin is a digital phono preamp. Much cheaper than the Devialet...

Top Bottom