• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamplifier multichannel (more than 7 channels) with remote and headphone amp

Ongii

Hello!
Do you have any suggestions for a gear having the requirements in the thread title?
I'd obviously consider also used stuff. Please consider I live in Germany (because of availability).

Although I don't need at all video capabilities, I suspect that there will be not so many equipments (audio only) out there. I'd also consider an A/V pre, if necessary. I simply don't want to pay for video capabilities I wouldn't make use of.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Ongii

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Do you want Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos or DTS:X? Then you are going to need a surround processor.

OP
Ongii

Ongii

No, not all. I do all my processing on a PC.
The preamplifier would need to manage only analog audio. (I have a multichannel DAC)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
From the past, there is the Bel Canto Pre6 and the Parasound P7 that will do 7. I do not know of any that will do more unless it is from the pro/studio world.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Although it is still "vapor" Involve Audio of Australia who build the Surround Master II have been threatening a multichannel preamp which I am watching for. They price their products reasonably.

I had a Marantz AV 7005 (as mentioned above) fall into my lap when I returned to the audio hobby after a pretty long absence.

In my peculiar use case I have been searching for multi channel selectors, as has Kal.

There are some solutions available from China and I believe I am going to pull the trigger soon on a stack of three of these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...210425130740&origin=y&SearchText=8x1+selector

Three buttons will have to be pushed to control a 5.1 system. There are some electronic boards with relays also that could be installed into a chasis but I don't want to do all that drilling.
The selectors will go between program sources and active crossover networks.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
There are (or there were) many AVRs and prepros with one 7.1channel analog input. None, afaik, with more than one.

i know, OP didn't really specify what kind of inputs he needed though and that is probably the cheapest he'll be able to find at least comming near to his requirements IMO

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think the switch device of choice is the Zektor MAS7.1 (and related models) if you don't need balanced (as I do_.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Outlaw 976 was perhaps a consideration but it's showing discontinued now....

OP
Ongii

Ongii

Dear All,
thanks for your answers. Just to clarify...
I don't need switching features. I receive 7 channels (5.2 configuration) from a Focusrite 18i20, acting as a multichannel DAC.
I need volume control (IR controlled) on the path of this signal (the seven channels) to the power amplifiers.
Yes, I can plug my headphones to the Focusrite, but this lacks remote control.

I hope now it's clearer :)

OP
Ongii

Ongii

Yes, I thought about the Oktoresearch, but it's too pricey for me. Maybe in some years I'll get a used one.
I'd avoid the PC to be accountable for volume regulation. What happens at blue screens? It's windows ... not perfect by definition. I fear for my loudspeakers (and ears)

OP
Ongii

Ongii

Why don't you just control the volume on the PC side? There are IR remotes available, see http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/ or you could use your phone to remote control volume.

...but... you have given me a good idea! I could use the Focusrite DAC as a kind of security gate, for the volume.
Windows volume at maximum, and the Focusrite set at a level at which I would never go upper, when listening.
Then I will remotely control the Windows volume.
But I suspect this is OT... sorry...

PS
@digitalfrost , are you from Germany, too? :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
@digitalfrost , are you from Germany, too? :)

jofrlyav4f4i.jpg

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This may sound funny but I once used two preamps. Pointed the remote right between them and it controlled both volumes in sync. I needed 10 channels at the time and there just wasn't anything.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear All,
thanks for your answers. Just to clarify...
I don't need switching features. I receive 7 channels (5.2 configuration) from a Focusrite 18i20, acting as a multichannel DAC.
I need volume control (IR controlled) on the path of this signal (the seven channels) to the power amplifiers.
Yes, I can plug my headphones to the Focusrite, but this lacks remote control.

I hope now it's clearer :)
I have used the Parasound P7 Kal mentioned. If you need 7 channels it is a nice choice IMO. I am not aware of any with more.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This may sound funny but I once used two preamps. Pointed the remote right between them and it controlled both volumes in sync. I needed 10 channels at the time and there just wasn't anything.
I've done up to four stereo preamps with one RC using a IR splitter. Here's a picture of a 3-preamp setup:
LA4x3small.JPG

Top Bottom