• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamplifier input & output gain / power amplifier input sensitivity

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I use a Exposure 3010S2 preamplifier with a Class D Audio SDS 470C power amplifier. Source is RME ADI-2 DAC (set to 0 db +7 dbu).

The SDS 470C has adjustable input gain and it's input sensitivity is 2V. The Exposure 3010S2 has 2V RMS output level. I have set the input gain on the SDS 470C to 50 % and it sounds ok to me. I never bothered to experiment much.

I recently acquired a tube preamplifier (Musical Paradise MP-701). Now here comes the fun part ... The preamp has a switch for low and high input gain and 2 sets of RCA outputs : low gain and high gain. On the Musical Paradise, it says Output voltage - 6V Max depending on gain settings. I am using 12AU7 if it is relevant ...

Since I don't have any knowledge in electronics, I am totally confused. Should I use low input gain and low output gain on preamp and higher input gain on power amp, low input gain and high output gain on preamp with lower output gain on power amp, etc. Where do I start ?

Thank you in advance for your help!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ross Grimsley???

Question: why do you need a preamp? The RME has adjustable volume and plenty of output.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME also will PEQ, some bass and treble DSP, crossfeed, and a few other DSP goodies. I'd try developing my own sauce of adjustments for repeatable, remote controllable, instantly switchable multiple color choices.

Now if you insist on using the Musical Paradise in between, I'd suggest low gain on it. Turn the channel gain on the amp to max for each channel.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The RME also will PEQ, some bass and treble DSP, crossfeed, and a few other DSP goodies. I'd try developing my own sauce of adjustments for repeatable, remote controllable, instantly switchable multiple color choices.

Yeah, a gimmicky thing like that preamp strikes me as the least efficient and effective way to tailor your sound. You'd have to really work at it to get things like rectifier tube or coupling cap changes to actually affect the sound in a line stage.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah, a gimmicky thing like that preamp strikes me as the least efficient and effective way to tailor your sound. You'd have to really work at it to get things like rectifier tube or coupling cap changes to actually affect the sound in a line stage.
I toally agree though it might be unpleasant to be 'told' .

If you want to have a preamp for the colour why not have all the colours of the rainbow at your disposal and be able to chop and change freely ( literally). Theres no danger of anaemic output in this particular situation either.

Whats not to like.

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor

I use the MP-701 in "stock" form (tubes, caps). The Exposure, MP-701 and ADI-2 DAC all sound different. The ADI-2 DAC is obviously "neutral", so I assume that the differences that I hear through the Exposure and the MP-701 are due to the fact that these preamps "color" the sound. This is what I meant.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How have you determined that they all sound different? Double-blind and level-matched? If so, you will probably want to check frequency responses to determine what you find appealing. If not, then you may want to get off the merry go round and try what Blumlein 88 suggested- the remarkably versatile signal processing capabilities in the ADI-2. Coupling caps won't change the sound unless they are terribly defective. Rectifier changes won't affect the sound unless the circuit is pathologically bad (in which case, dump it). Signal tube changes may have some slight effects, but those are far easier- and WAY cheaper- to achieve with EQ.

I'm still curious about why you ended up with Ross Grimsley. I watched him pitch dozens of times, always entertaining.

OP
PappyBlue

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
I'm still curious about why you ended up with Ross Grimsley. I watched him pitch dozens of times, always entertaining.

He was my favorite pitcher when I was a kid. He's the only pitcher in the Expos history with 20 wins in a season. I chose this pic in the Orioles uniform because the perm and the mustache are simply magical!!

Reactions: SIY

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The suggestion to check frequency response is a good one. That is often the most audible difference in such pieces of gear. While not optimum its possible to check basic response with the sound card input on a computer.

maty

Major Contributor
I use the MP-701 in "stock" form (tubes, caps). The Exposure, MP-701 and ADI-2 DAC all sound different. The ADI-2 DAC is obviously "neutral", so I assume that the differences that I hear through the Exposure and the MP-701 are due to the fact that these preamps "color" the sound. This is what I meant.

Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2, tube preamplifier without negative feedback. Tubes and capacitors.

[German] Was macht einen guten Röhrenvorverstärker aus?

Top Bottom