• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp vs power amp measurement

NoDad

First, thank you for a great site. I have been "lurking" for some time. Reading all the great reviews and threads. Finally I joined and I have a question.

What difference, if any, does measurements make when comparing different pieces of equipment in a stereo system? Let me explain. Does it make any difference if the power amp has a better value than the preamp (or vice versa)? For instance, if the preamp has a S/N Ratio of 100 dB will it make any difference connecting it to a power amp with 100 dB or one with a better value, let's say 115dB? Assuming, the power amps are equal (or atleast close) in their other measurements.

Hope the above makes sense.

Have fun - Hans

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes if you preamp has less SNR than your power amp it would reduce the SNR for the entire system. Whether that is an audible problem will depend upon the particulars of your speaker, amplifier power etc. Same is true of distortion. Usually the noise levels in the recording after being amplified are the limiting factor in noise followed by noise in your listening environment.

To pick an extreme example, listening in a noisy car, an amp with only 70 db SNR might be unnoticeable vs a quieter one while in your listening room at home you might hear the noise.

OP
N

NoDad

Thanks for your replies. GrimSurfer - The article was interesting. Blumlein88 - Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I have found a preamp I like and am considering my options for a power amp. Knowing the "weakest" link determines the sound is helpful.

Top Bottom