• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp to Amp connect

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Hi guys (and gals). I was into this hobby many years ago, and I'm returning to it now. So many things have changed. Probably a simple question, but here it is : I want to buy the Aiyima A07 amp and connect it to a Schitt preamp (the lower end one). Thing is, the Aiyima has a volume control, but I want to use the volume control on the Schitt. Is this possible? Do I just wire the preamp into the amp and set the volume of the amp at maximum in order to use the preamp volume control? Thank you very much for taking time to read.

D

Deleted member 46664

Hi guys (and gals). I was into this hobby many years ago, and I'm returning to it now. So many things have changed. Probably a simple question, but here it is : I want to buy the Aiyima A07 amp and connect it to a Schitt preamp (the lower end one). Thing is, the Aiyima has a volume control, but I want to use the volume control on the Schitt. Is this possible? Do I just wire the preamp into the amp and set the volume of the amp at maximum in order to use the preamp volume control? Thank you very much for taking time to read.

I wouldn't set the A07 to maximum ...
Instead set it to the maximum comfortable volume in your listening area.
From there you can use the pre-amp volume control to manage your actual listening levels.

This is a common tactic in HTPC setups ... the power amp is set just below the "noise complaint" level.
The Windows volume control in the PC is used to manage the actual listening level.

BJL

If you are used to, or are comfortable with, using separates (preamp-power amp) I would set the Aiyima volume to maximum, to take the volume control out of the circuit. If not then do as Douglas Blake suggested and limit the volume on the power amp to avoid unfortunate blasts of high volume sound.

Some preamps reset themselves to zero volume (or sometimes a pre-set level, like most AVRs) when powered off. Apparently not the Schiit products, alas.

D

Deleted member 46664

If you are used to, or are comfortable with, using separates (preamp-power amp) I would set the Aiyima volume to maximum, to take the volume control out of the circuit. If not then do as Douglas Blake suggested and limit the volume on the power amp to avoid unfortunate blasts of high volume sound.

Some preamps reset themselves to zero volume (or sometimes a pre-set level, like most AVRs) when powered off. Apparently not the Schiit products, alas.
And not the A07 ... which has a standard analog volume control.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would either set the power amp as loud as you want to go (with the preamp at maximum) or as loud as it can go without distortion.

The general rule for gain staging is to have the strongest signal through the chain until the end for the best signal-to-noise ratio. If you turn-down the power amp all of the signal and noise coming into the amp gets reduced together, and only the noise generated inside the power amp remains as-is.

As a practical matter the preamp's volume control usually is at, or near, it's output anyway so it may make no difference if you turn-down the preamp-output or the power-amp input, and hopefully there will be no audible noise anyway...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..] I want to buy the Aiyima A07 amp and connect it to a Schitt preamp (the lower end one). Thing is, the Aiyima has a volume control, but I want to use the volume control on the Schitt. Is this possible? Do I just wire the preamp into the amp and set the volume of the amp at maximum in order to use the preamp volume control?
As an addition to the other answers: You might read The Signal Chain thread by @DonH56 to find out what the best volume setting is on preamp and power amp.

OP
Steven Holt

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Thank all of you for your very intelligent answers -- I now know more than I used to. And yes, LTig, I will look at that post.

Top Bottom