• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp recommendation

jazzvinyl2020

I‘m looking for a new preamp to interface with my Hypex Ncore400 mono blocks.

Are the Topping hybrid headphone amps with preamp functionality comparable in quality to say their dedicated Pre90 preamp which is a bit costlier? I just need balanced inputs / outputs.

Wisehybred

The a70 pro looks like a good contender with the analogue volume control. I can’t comment of usability as I do not have one but it looks to be an option and for less money too.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a MiniDSP Flex as a preamp/DAC/DSP and can recommend it. I have the RCA version, but there is a balanced version too.
  • My computer, tablet and phone connect to it with Bluetooth (with LDAC).
  • My record player goes into a phono preamp, that then into the MiniDSPs analog input.
  • TV goes into optical.
  • Streamer (RaspberryPi mit Moode) goes into USB input.
  • I have nothing on the SPDIF, but it would be good for a CD player.
  • Comes with a remote.
  • DSP functionality
  • 4 outputs (2x power amp, 2x subwoofer here)
  • You can buy a Dirac license, which i did, but didn't set it up yet. But it's optional.
It's the black device on top.
PXL_20220414_131823388.jpg

Wisehybred

I was originally looking at the minidsp options but the volume controls work in the digital domain and I’m not sold just yet on that. Also, does Dirac live use 10db of gain for dsp when applied? I was thinking of using a 2x4 minidsp or this one downstream from a preamp

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was originally looking at the minidsp options but the volume controls work in the digital domain and I’m not sold just yet on that.
Why? It operates at 32 bit internally which means 196dB till your signal is broken. If you brought a CD down from 96 to 1dB, you would still have 100dB internal precision left.

Also, does Dirac live use 10db of gain for dsp when applied?
Like i said, i paid the money but didn't set it up yet ;-).

I was thinking of using a 2x4 minidsp or this one downstream from a preamp
But that would add another analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog for all your digital sources, CD, TV, streamer and so on, right?

DearSX

I have the a70 Pro, and don't have any complaints. Remote is nice, interface is great, trigger works great, I don't think I have any issues with the sounds and volume.

Output wise: I used the RCA to my SVS sub and XLR to my speaker amp.
Input wise: front aux to headphones, rear toslink to DAC.

Really glad I have a preamp with a remote. I had the Pre90 before and I can't can't say I remember if it was better, I don't see a need or reason to go back to the Pre90 for me, as the remote, features and interface of the A70 are much better. If anything I'm wondering if the L70 is enough, although the A70 Pro has a better display.

I may replace my A70 Pro with something with a built in DAC and DSP just to mess around with EQ and make things simpler, nothing wrong with A70 Pro.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the a70 Pro, and don't have any complaints. Remote is nice, interface is great, trigger works great, I don't think I have any issues with the sounds and volume.

Output wise: I used the RCA to my SVS sub and XLR to my speaker amp.
Input wise: front aux to headphones, rear toslink to DAC.

Really glad I have a preamp with a remote. I had the Pre90 before and I can't can't say I remember if it was better, I don't see a need or reason to go back to the Pre90 for me, as the remote, features and interface of the A70 are much better. If anything I'm wondering if the L70 is enough, although the A70 Pro has a better display.

I may replace my A70 Pro with something with a built in DAC and DSP just to mess around with EQ and make things simpler, nothing wrong with A70 Pro.
I'm planning to buy the A70 Pro, but still unclear if it supports HT bypass. Do you know if it is possible to assign specific volume levels to different input sources? In this case, when you switch to the AVR as a source, it could set the volume to 100 (or whatever preferred) and when you switch back to the DAC, it reverts the volume automatically.
How hot does your unit get?
Also, the Pre90 has the Safe Volume and Automatic Low Volume Start features to protect the speakers and your ears. Does the A70 Pro have these features too?

DearSX

I'm planning to buy the A70 Pro, but still unclear if it supports HT bypass. Do you know if it is possible to assign specific volume levels to different input sources? In this case, when you switch to the AVR as a source, it could set the volume to 100 (or whatever preferred) and when you switch back to the DAC, it reverts the volume automatically.
How hot does your unit get?
Also, the Pre90 has the Safe Volume and Automatic Low Volume Start features to protect the speakers and your ears. Does the A70 Pro have these features too?
I don't see that option on the menu. I see an option set safe volume where you can choose what that is.

The system can also save 8 volume levels and revert back to old settings when you change source, it goes back to the same volume you had set for the interface last time.

The controller does allow you to preset settings on the different buttons so you can change them when you change source or output including volume. https://it.shenzhenaudio.com/produc...anced-r2r-volume-control-module-headphone-amp

I leave mine on the low gain for all outputs/inputs and it works fine on all my amps, headphones and speakers, I just adjust things as needed with the remote, the system is so clean the volume doesn't really matter to me, I just adjust as needed for my PlayStation, TV, headphones, speakers etc.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So C1 and C2 can save all the settings required for HT or Stereo, including gain and volume for a specific input and output combinatin. For a HT bypass, I guess volume would be set to 0dB and gain would be increased in my case, using the RCA pre-out of the AVR.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 17.00.09.png

Snoopy

Major Contributor

If the software volume control glitches out you will end up with 100% volume. I wouldn't want that either.

There are plenty nice headphone amps for example that work as pre-amp with analog volume control.

DearSX

If the software volume control glitches out you will end up with 100% volume. I wouldn't want that either.

There are plenty nice headphone amps for example that work as pre-amp with analog volume control.
I agree with this, 0db can be pretty dangerous. My amp can put out 400w into 4 ohm, I keep very far away from 0DB. If you have your HT receiver volume under control it should be fine. That is the case with any volume setting on any device. Never had an issue with volume settings on my A70 Pro, even when I disconnect it and move it around or power it on and off, but then again I am usually at 20-40db. Also I think the low gain is plenty for most all applications.

Top Bottom