• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp/processor with HDMI for stereo active studio monitor

tartalatruffe

Hello there!
I'm planning on buying new Adam Audio A7V with isophonics stands. To listen to music and watch film in my (not treated) living room (the speaker have a built in dsp that allow sonarworks correction).

Sources are :
CD (Denon DCD520ae)
Blu-ray (ps5)
Vinyl (Pro-Ject Phono box MM)
Streaming apps (from LG smart tv WebOs through ARC).

My actual amp don't have pre-out (it's a Yamaha RX-V381).

Just one regret with LG WebOs, I can't install Vimeo app. So I'll maybe move to an Apple TV or Nvidia Shield or for run all streaming app. Are they bitperfect and gapless? For Vimeo, shield need to install the apk aside...

1) Can you recommand a preamp/processor that I can use to plug everything easily for arround 500€ used?
I'm looking for something compatible with Dolby Vision, and that I can use with a remote.

The best would be having a good Phono and Headphone preamp built in this preamp/processor (I use and love my Sennheiser HD650).

I can mention the Canton Smart Connect 5.1, that didn't pass through Dolby Vision. And the Smyth Realiser A16 SE which is phenomenal but expensive. So I don't really know. If I look on AVR, there is a huge part that I won't use (the amp part, all the multichanel outputs). Is it as good as hifi stereo preamp?

2) Any good network streaming for music&films? (with netflix, amazon, disney, spotify, tidal/qobuz, vimeo).

3) Signal path speaking, how would you connect everything?
There is XLR and RCA input behind the A7V. I heard that HDMI is not that good for transmitting audio, so I can maybe find another way to plug the video/audio streamer? Should I go optical or analog for the CD player?

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far, never have heard that the HDMI is not good for audio transmission?
I've always assumed HDMI is about the best way to transmit digital audio.
What digital outputs does your PS5 have?
A modern and low cost A/V receiver should do the job, check Craigslist.

OP
T

tartalatruffe

So far, never have heard that the HDMI is not good for audio transmission?
I've always assumed HDMI is about the best way to transmit digital audio.
What digital outputs does your PS5 have?
A modern and low cost A/V receiver should do the job, check Craigslist.
Regarding HDMI, you can have a look at this thread :

The ps5 has 1hdmi out and 2usb.

AVR is the easiest solution, but will requiere an headphone preamp and phono preamp, as I don't find any budget AVR with a good matching preamp for my hd650. Do you know any?

There is also the CYP DCT-37 that have been tested here, but seems less good than a non-HDMI dac.

I though about something else, more complicated but maybe better quality?

Using a DAC (such as the RME ADI), and an HDMI switcher.
I connect the ps5 and the streamer to the HDMI switcher. Then I connect the HDMi switcher audio output to the DAC, and the HDMI switcher video output to the TV.
I connect my cd player and phono preamp to the DAC.

Then, with a remote, I can do some programming to switch all inputs on 1 click I guess?

This allow to have one cable that goes to the TV.

The HDMI switcher need to be available to control remote, and dolby vision pass through. I don't know if it's a thing?

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also would have said, get an AVR eg Denon X Series. All in one box and well measuring. I would guess they can drive your headphones with it’s over 300ohm impedance easily, but I am not an headphone expert, so please double check.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding HDMI, you can have a look at this thread :
The ps5 has 1hdmi out and 2usb.
AVR is the easiest solution, but will requiere an headphone preamp and phono preamp, as I don't find any budget AVR with a good matching preamp for my hd650. Do you know any?
There is also the CYP DCT-37 that have been tested here, but seems less good than a non-HDMI dac.
I though about something else, more complicated but maybe better quality? Using a DAC (such as the RME ADI), and an HDMI switcher.
I connect the ps5 and the streamer to the HDMI switcher. Then I connect the HDMi switcher audio output to the DAC, and the HDMI switcher video output to the TV.
I connect my cd player and phono preamp to the DAC. Then, with a remote, I can do some programming to switch all inputs on 1 click I guess?
This allow to have one cable that goes to the TV. The HDMI switcher need to be available to control remote, and dolby vision pass through. I don't know if it's a thing?
My brain is trying to wrap it's around the stuff talked about in this link, but it's not really important.
You would run HDMI, from the PS5, to the A/V receiver, then run HDMI from the A/V receiver to the screen (TV?).
That only needs to carry video, from A/V receiver, (using HDMI) to screen.
But you would run line-outs (RCA) from the A/V receiver, to the inputs (RCA) on the A7V.
You could run RCA or optical, from the Denon DCD520ae, to the A/V receiver.
Connect the Pro-jet between the phonograph and the receiver.
Plug the Sennheiser HD 650, into the receiver's headphone jack.

OP
T

tartalatruffe

I don't think I'm going this way, I'm pretty interested in using the RME ADI 2 FS with an HDMI extractor, compatible with dolby vision, that can be pilotes with a remote. Now I'm asking myself if I want to use a digital phono preamp, 'cause there is no analog input on the RME ADI. Event on the RME ADI 2 FS Pro, the analog input get processed digitally... But in the end, it'll end up in the A7V, which I don't think you can bypass the DSP so..

Trell

Major Contributor
Your phono preamp will perform way worse than the ADC in the RME ADI-2 Pro. Now, add the sound quality degradation of just playing vinyl on top off that you’ll that realize the ADI-2 is not the limiting factor.

Last edited:
OP
T

tartalatruffe

Your phono preamp will perform way worse than the ADC in the RME ADI-2 Pro. Now, add the sound quality degradation of just playing vinyl on top off that you’ll that realize the ADI-2 is not the limiting factor.
A conversion is a limiting factor, not talking about my particular setup. But in the end, I agree, I don't think I can hear the differences!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello there!
I'm planning on buying new Adam Audio A7V with isophonics stands. To listen to music and watch film in my (not treated) living room (the speaker have a built in dsp that allow sonarworks correction).

Sources are :
CD (Denon DCD520ae)
Blu-ray (ps5)
Vinyl (Pro-Ject Phono box MM)
Streaming apps (from LG smart tv WebOs through ARC).

My actual amp don't have pre-out (it's a Yamaha RX-V381).
You could use the headphone output as preamp out. I did this with a Technics amplifier feeding active Mackie HR824 monitors.

Top Bottom