• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp for three tape decks

Hi

At the moment I'm feeding an RME ADI-2 DAC directly into a vintage Sony poweramp (TA-N77ES) with the attenuation on the amp set to bypass. I also have three tape decks (Nagra IV-S, Revox B77, and Sony WM-D6C) connected to the amp which I use with the amp's second input and using variable attenuation to control the volume. This works fine with a source selector box to switch between the decks, but the problem is that when I record the DAC I need to do lots of cable swapping. I'm wondering if I should buy a preamp, solely for the tape decks, to control input, recording, and volume control. Any suggestions? I can't find many preamps with three tape loops. Thanks in advance, best wishes,
Sean

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems that maybe a 3 or 4 input recording interface would allow what you want. You'd need a computer attached when you do switching. You could leave the RME where it is now and use the balanced outputs back into the interface which would sit between the tape decks and the power amp. It would subject the tape decks to an ADC/DAC loop when just listening to them.

Switching to the RME ADI FS-PRO ADC/DAC might be better overall. Use the selector switch you have now only it would feed the input to the RME. And at any time you could record that or output it out to a tape deck if you wish to do so.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADI2ProFS--rme-adi-2-pro-fs-2-in-4-out-ad-da-converter

Probably less expensive and simpler than adding a complete additional preamp.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hi

At the moment I'm feeding an RME ADI-2 DAC directly into a vintage Sony poweramp (TA-N77ES) with the attenuation on the amp set to bypass. I also have three tape decks (Nagra IV-S, Revox B77, and Sony WM-D6C) connected to the amp which I use with the amp's second input and using variable attenuation to control the volume. This works fine with a source selector box to switch between the decks, but the problem is that when I record the DAC I need to do lots of cable swapping. I'm wondering if I should buy a preamp, solely for the tape decks, to control input, recording, and volume control. Any suggestions? I can't find many preamps with three tape loops. Thanks in advance, best wishes,
Sean
Sounds like what you really want is a mixing board.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions @Robin L and @Blumlein 88. I'll do some research on the RME ADI FS-PRO ADC/DAC. Although, how would I switch the signal to record the DAC to three different tape decks? Another switch box?
The RME has two sets of outputs. I figure one set to the Sony amp and the other to whichever tape deck you wish to record with. Still need to switch the one pair of output cables, but it would keep that at a minimum. I suppose a 2nd switchbox would do the trick too. You also could use an adapter cable to use the second headphone output to send to the input of one of the three tape decks.

OP
S
Update: after reading all the great reviews, I've just bought a Benchmark AHB2, which only has one set of XLR inputs. I'd still like to listen to my three tape decks (Nagra IV-S, Revox B77 and Sony Walkman Pro). I intend to always run the DAC straight to the power amp, but will unplug the DAC when I want to listen to a tape. Am I right in thinking that the SINAD, etc., of tape is so bad that it isn't worth worrying about getting an expensive preamp? What are your thoughts on buying a Nobsound NS-05P (or similar) for this duty? Thanks for any suggestions.

Top Bottom