• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp For sm7b?

LucioFrunk99

Hey, everybody. I have a question.

I looking to improvemy sound without spending more than budget allows. I want buy preamp for my shure Sm7b. I known, Preamplifiers make a significant difference, but still, I don't want to overpay.

I've already looked at some options:

Art Tube MPSTV3
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Could you give me some advice? What to choose for me?
Maybe you have some kind of preamplifier and you can write its name?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What is the application going to be? Podcasting/speech? Or vocals? I.e. how much flavor do you need?

You have listed both a (tube) preamp and an audio interface, does that mean you'd need both?

Honestly there's a whole bunch of audio interfaces that would have good noise performance (around -129 dBu @150 ohm) - even some Behringer stuff, though distortion performance near max levels at high gain is another story. This one did particularly well on noise, though its somewhat lower than usual 1.7 kOhm input impedance may make the SM7B sound just a hint duller than usual:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, everybody. I have a question.

I looking to improvemy sound without spending more than budget allows. I want buy preamp for my shure Sm7b. I known, Preamplifiers make a significant difference, but still, I don't want to overpay.

I've already looked at some options:

Art Tube MPSTV3
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Could you give me some advice? What to choose for me?
Maybe you have some kind of preamplifier and you can write its name?
I think the current 2i2 only has 50 db gain which would be marginal with an SM7b. That microphone needs quite a bit of gain. I suggest something with 65 db or at least 60 db gain.

https://service.shure.com/s/article/sm7-output-level-and-preamp-gain-specifications?language=en_US
Shure says minimum of 60 db for that microphone. You would also like something with a good EIN spec.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2--motu-m2-2x2-usb-c-audio-interface
The Moto M2 has 60 db of gain and good EIN specs.

The M-audio mentioned only has 55 db so it might be a stretch.

This EVO is you want few features is close with 58 db gain. Though I don't know anything about this model.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVO4--audient-evo-4-usb-audio-interface

Also if you don't have DAW software already some other device that includes that with the purchase might be worth considering if it has enough gain.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Note that audio interfaces generally need less gain than standalone preamps or mixers, as the maximum level they ever have to hit is about 5 Vpp (+7 dBu) on the ADC input, rather than, say, +16..+22 dBu. So you can't actually give a single recommended gain value for all of these device classes. It appears the good folks at Shure were going for traditional studio levels. By those standards you'd want about 69 dB, while in an audio interface about +55 dB would do.

In addition, even somewhat tight preamp gain in general still is amply sufficient for lifting preamp noise floor 20+ dB above ADC noise. So ultimately it's more a matter of convenience than strictly a technical necessity - streaming software or sound drivers may not provide additional digital gain, but audio recording / DAW software definitely will.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've a couple ribbon mikes that are about 6 db more sensitive than the SM7b. I run them around 50 db on the gain using an interface. This is recording music however.

Depends upon what the Op intends to do. If podcasting the answer might be different than recording music or singers.

BTW, didn't notice this was the OP's first post. So a welcome to ASR is in order. Hope you find our ideas helpful to you.

jae

Major Contributor
Don't bother with anything else other than the Motu M2/M4 assuming your budget allows. The Motu is better than anything else in its price class and beyond. If you need a more gain add a DM1 Dynamite.

Top Bottom