• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp for Purifi Monoblocks

schomin

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker and really starting to get my system put together now. I recently got some VTV Purifi Bridged Monoblocks and have been test driving them for a couple of days now. I'm really impressed so far but have questions about a preamp. I am currently using a Pro-ject Stereo Box RS as the preamp for now, which was my integrated amplifier before the monoblocks showed up, but it does seem to introduce a small amount of hiss into the system. Not sure if it is the tube stage causing this or something else. I'm looking at a Schiit Freya+ or maybe a Benchmark LA4. I know these Forums like to avoid preamps in general but since I have a turntable and a DAC I'll need something for source selection and volume control. Just curious what others think. Thanks

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
schomin

schomin

Thanks for the response! I'll check those out too.

mimaximax

Hi, which input buffer board and OP-Amp did you choose with your VTV amp and what gain does it provide? Also, I am curious what is the line output impedance of your Stereo Box RS?

OP
schomin

schomin

Hi, which input buffer board and OP-Amp did you choose with your VTV amp and what gain does it provide? Also, I am curious what is the line output impedance of your Stereo Box RS?
I ended up going with the vtv input buffer and sparkos ss3602 which has a gain of 7db standard or 14db set by a jumper. The stereo box rs has an output impedance of 0,022 ohms according to the spec sheet.

cicastol

Hi,
CUT
I know these Forums like to avoid preamps in general but since I have a turntable and a DAC I'll need something for source selection and volume control. Just curious what others think. Thanks
Hi,
i'm running my Eigentakt with Topping A90 , balanced xlr input from DAC and RCA input from turntable, also enough power to drive the purify without input buffer op-amp (no input gain)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using an ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition. If you don’t need balanced inputs or dsp in the preamp then at the other end of the budget is this:

Amplifier dude

My suggestion is to ditch the turn table and go DAC direct. Just get a record spinning on the turn table without connecting it to the system. And listen to the music from the DAC instead. Then just pretend you have the worlds best turn table.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know that @tomchr was considering bringing a built preamp forward but not sure if that is still the case. You’ve already mentioned the Freya which in passive mode is extremely good-I would have bought one myself but couldn’t bear the thought of paying for the tube section.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm going through a bit of soul searching regarding Tom Christiansen Audio. I.e., I started writing an actual business plan for it... I should probably write a newsletter announcing my plans. Basically, I will take TCA towards the even higher end. This also means higher prices, so if/when I make a preamp I guarantee you that I will not compete on price. I will compete on performance, build quality, reliability, etc.

Tom

Top Bottom