• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp for Hypex NC502MP

Taiga

Hi,

I just purchased an Audiophonics NC502MP amp and need a preamp just for 2 channel music. The amp has both RCA and XLR inputs and the Hypex spec sheet shows an input impedance of 47k ohms. Right now all of my components are RCA including a Harmon Kardon bluetooth adapter, and Onkyo CD player, tape deck, and tuner. I‘ll probably add a DAC at some point.

The preamps I’m considering are the Schiit Saga S, Schiit Freya S, Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Analog (https://pro-jectusa.com/product/pre-box-ds2-analog/), or one of the Hattor Audio units such as this one: (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...eamplifier-with-shunt-attenuator-p-10710.html). I can’t find output impedance values for the Pro-ject or Hattor units. The Schiit specs are “varies, maximum 4.8 kohms” for the Saga in passive mode and “75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced” for the Freya.

There is also the Rotel RC1572 MK II which would give me a DAC and additional inputs (https://www.rotel.com/product/rc-1572mkii).

It seems like any of these will work for me, but do not know if there are other considerations that I am overlooking. For example, I’m not sure if I should be concerned about RCA vs XLR as I don’t have long cable runs. I am in the US, but had a fine experience with the amp from Audiophonics. It was at my door in a few days at a shipping cost of about $40.

I appreciate your thoughts!

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be more future-proof to consider something that could do EQ to assist with room issues. A MiniDSP Flex has bluetooth built-in, digital inputs so covers off the CD player and one analog input (I think limited to 1V but that is OK for tape deck or tuner normally). You can get both balanced and unbalanced out versions of the Flex.

Ornette

Congrats on your amplifier purchase. No active solid state preamp should have any issues driving a 47k load. If you buy the Saga S and it doesn't work well in passive mode, you can simply switch to active. One advantage of the Rotel is that it offers XLR outputs, which is the preferred way to connect to your power amp, although RCA will suffice in most circumstances. Other than that, it probably comes down to price, features, footprint, etc. as to which of the options you're considering makes the most sense. If I can't audition equipment prior to purchase, I usually try to read some online commentary to get a sense of user satisfaction. Good luck with your selection!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats on the amp. Now I would get an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and use it as DAC and pre-amp, EQ and connect your CD player digitally to it.

OP
T

Taiga

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. So maybe my best bet is to not worry about accommodating my old components and just invest in a quality DAC and some room DSP. I would want to input the DAC from either my Apple smartphone or tablet, rather than a PC. Does that reduce my choices for a DAC? Or should I purchase an inexpensive PC just for music? I would also want a remote for volume and muting.

Sorry for the simpleton questions - I am always years behind with buying tech equipment.

EMCCM

I guess a flex makes the most sense to me. As above, had a pretty decent DAC, DSP (Dirac if you want it), and can stream via bluetooth or just buy a WiiM Mini streamer and connect via optical or USB. There’s plenty of pre-amps that will work fine for your purposes. Topping Pre90 is a very nice one, SMSL also has options.

drewdawg999

I have a March P502 and enjoy the clarity and fidelity very much. Was previously using a single ended tube pre (Rogue Metis) with adapters, and though it's served me well for many years, I like the sound of my DAC (SMSL DO100) plugged straight into the amp via XLR better. So I would suggest using balanced connections as well. I also ordered a Topping Pre90 and it's on its way, so excited. Only need one set of RCA inputs for my turntable, though being digital only has kept me busy for a couple weeks now.

nickt1

I Use a Topping pre 90 with hypex NC 502 running balanced. Yes it would be nice to have Dirac room correction or similar but I find that the DSP in Roon does what I need.
The pre 90 + NC 502 is rediculous value and feel you would have to pay double the price to get any appreciable improvement.

Cadguy

I have a March P502 and enjoy the clarity and fidelity very much. Was previously using a single ended tube pre (Rogue Metis) with adapters, and though it's served me well for many years, I like the sound of my DAC (SMSL DO100) plugged straight into the amp via XLR better. So I would suggest using balanced connections as well. I also ordered a Topping Pre90 and it's on its way, so excited. Only need one set of RCA inputs for my turntable, though being digital only has kept me busy for a couple weeks now.
drewdawg999 How are you finding the combination of the Topping Pre90 and March P502? I'm also using an SMSL DO100 XLR straight to amp and like the clarity. Do you have your DO100 connected to the Pre90?

drewdawg999

drewdawg999 How are you finding the combination of the Topping Pre90 and March P502? I'm also using an SMSL DO100 XLR straight to amp and like the clarity. Do you have your DO100 connected to the Pre90?
I'm loving the Pre90 with the March P502. Have turntable and DO100 hooked up. I would say it's an improvement over plugging the DO100 straight into amp, since the DAC sounds better cranked up to 99 max volume. Let the Pre90 handle volume duties, which is totally clean and transparent. Love my system right now, all solid state, so much clarity and definition yet loads of bass drive as well, plenty of headroom. Doing things very efficiently with high performance to price ratio, very happy. And I'm also happy to have access to my large vinyl collection, glad to have both analogue and digital sources at my disposal and wouldn't want to choose between them. Volume memory on the Pre90 is very nice to have switching between these 2 sources. (I'm also one of the few not to have any complaints about the remote since I sit right in front of my rack.)

mdunjic

Hi,

I just purchased an Audiophonics NC502MP amp and need a preamp just for 2 channel music. The amp has both RCA and XLR inputs and the Hypex spec sheet shows an input impedance of 47k ohms. Right now all of my components are RCA including a Harmon Kardon bluetooth adapter, and Onkyo CD player, tape deck, and tuner. I‘ll probably add a DAC at some point.

The preamps I’m considering are the Schiit Saga S, Schiit Freya S, Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Analog (https://pro-jectusa.com/product/pre-box-ds2-analog/), or one of the Hattor Audio units such as this one: (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...eamplifier-with-shunt-attenuator-p-10710.html). I can’t find output impedance values for the Pro-ject or Hattor units. The Schiit specs are “varies, maximum 4.8 kohms” for the Saga in passive mode and “75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced” for the Freya.

There is also the Rotel RC1572 MK II which would give me a DAC and additional inputs (https://www.rotel.com/product/rc-1572mkii).

It seems like any of these will work for me, but do not know if there are other considerations that I am overlooking. For example, I’m not sure if I should be concerned about RCA vs XLR as I don’t have long cable runs. I am in the US, but had a fine experience with the amp from Audiophonics. It was at my door in a few days at a shipping cost of about $40.

I appreciate your thoughts!
I am using Benchmark LA4 as the preamp for feeding bi-amping config - Audiophonics NC502MP nCore based stereo power amp (driving mid range and tweeters) and pair of Audiophonics NC500MP nCore based monoblocks (driving bass woofers) of Neat Acoustics Motive 1 floor-standing speakers. Benchmark LA4 is fed via SMSL SU-9n DAC and mini PC (fanless) as Roon Core. Sounds very good to me.

Attachments

• 6102FDB8-C07C-4A3E-8D24-F6BE5A1088EC.jpeg
    6102FDB8-C07C-4A3E-8D24-F6BE5A1088EC.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 193BFB9F-C811-4CBB-A692-6066554F7DC8.jpeg
    193BFB9F-C811-4CBB-A692-6066554F7DC8.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 195
  • EA403A82-8986-4376-B9D2-81918F05DD4A.jpeg
    EA403A82-8986-4376-B9D2-81918F05DD4A.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Top Bottom