• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp/DAC for active speakers?

hyperplanar

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a preamp for active speakers. My friend will be getting LSR305s and the LSR310S sub for his living room. He wants to connect:
  • TV audio (optical, adding a separate DAC for this is acceptable too)
  • Turntable (has built-in phono preamp, so RCA line out)
  • A 3.5mm plug cable for if somebody wants to play music from their phone (Bluetooth input instead would also be acceptable)
Preferably the preamp would have balanced outs, as well as a remote control for switching sources and adjusting volume. I'm having a hard time finding something that ticks all the boxes at a reasonable price commensurate to the rest of the system. Thanks for the help!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC3 HGC. Has two RCA analog inputs so you could use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the phone. The other analog input for the record player.

OP
hyperplanar

hyperplanar

DAC3 HGC. Has two RCA analog inputs so you could use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the phone. The other analog input for the record player.
Thanks but looking for something around 10% of the price of the Benchmark at max... :D the speaker setup is only $500 after all and the JBLs do an ADA conversion internally as well.

OP
hyperplanar

hyperplanar

Thank you, I haven’t come across that thread before. I’m not seeing any viable candidates with unbalanced in, balanced out, and a remote control though...

Maybe a budget DAC that has Bluetooth, two optical/coax inputs, balanced output and a remote control would do the trick, if anyone has any suggestions for that. Could use an external ADC to get the turntable into optical.

Top Bottom