• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre-review thread on Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I had noted before, I bought a Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR. It is arriving today. I will likely put it on the bench. Hating to measure it multiple times, I thought I open this thread to have people suggest what configuration I should put it in, and what to test. Not saying I will do all that you say. This, after all, is no democracy. :D But I will listen.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
0. «HDMI in, speaker out» as you yourself suggested, in the pure direct mode.

Plus what @audimus suggested before:

1. Use the analog input to the cleanest path available in the AVR to the amp output. This is useful for comparing between AVRs, integrated amps, pure amps, etc. It is an evaluation of the build quality of the amp part of the AVR and important. If the cleanest path possible in each varies, it does not matter. Let AVRs that provide the best performance in their best path win.

2. Use the digital input to analog pre-out in the cleanest mode possible for an AVR. No bass management, no surround modes, ideally just the DAC and no other uses of a DSP. Again, if a manufacturer allows a more cleaner path than others then good for them. This is useful for comparing the DAC performance between AVRs themselves and benchmarking against pure DACs. This is an evaluation of the engineering of the digital path of the AVR and its noise isolation, etc.

For me this will give the most comprehensive picture for all potential use cases.

Nationalizer

What @Vovgan said. + I'm just curious what will the 2 channel amp performance be.
Still willing to bet it will measure better as an AMP than the other AVRs tested here.

eycatcher

Your standard gamut of measuring both the analog inputs and the digital via HDMI. For the analog tests, input level of 2 VRMS into the RCA . Adjust volume was for 2 VRMS at the speaker outputs. Preamp out FFT distortion analysis @ 2 VRMS. Would be nice to see a comparision of distortion vs frequency of the analog direct path vs converting the analog signal to digital via the DSP engaged (ie Pure Direct vs Straight in Yamaha). SNR in Pure Direct weighted and unweighted, digital and analog. Time domain plot of a sine wave at -90dBFS is always interesting to look at. I'm more accustomed to looking at the power THD + N in % ratio rather than dbv, maybe that can be included also. Most of the AVR's and Amps can come up short in the power dept when all channels are driven as opposed to two. Phono preamp measurement for kicks?

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

First: I highly appreciate you ask our opinion !
That's scientific behaviour, for sure ! :)

I'd go this way:

1. SINAD HDMI in, speakers out @5W 4 ohm
Also same with TOS-link to speakers
(it looks like HDMI is often polluted by various "noise", and most TV set have TOS link too for sound)
This is the major criteria for AVR and should be the basis for their ranking, IMO
You may test that in stereo.
If you are able to test 5.1 or 7.2, that's a plus.
But I guess the stereo front is most important for Sound Quality in critical listening.

2. Typical DAC to pre-out, if available
As you said, mainly for diagnostic
From TOS-link and/or SPDIF and/or USB and/or Roon, depending what's available.
Not the full test for all, but mainly to check what works correctly.
This should show how much improvement to expect with an external amp. As you proposed, hanging the PureHifi may even give a figure directly comparable to 1, so that looks like a good idea too to me. Maybe more work though, and typical DAC figure is probably good enough.

3. Test analog in if available.
Mainly ADC for SINAD and frequency response.
Mainly sanity check.

3. Pre-in to speaker vs power and @5W
Or whatever path gives the best idea of power amp section performance.
Same than 1.
How good is the amp section?
Mainly useful if the figure in 1. Is so-so but 2. Is reasonable.
Clear area where cost savings may have a quite severe impact.

4. Noise level impact of a room correction, if that can be compared.
Is it possible to enter a fix correction for comparing them? As an example, by using a pre-build signal instead of a microphone input to force all room EQs to apply the same correction under 500 Hz?
Because in my measurement of miniDSP Dirac processor, the impact is clearly much higher when some correction is done. (25dB impact on SINAD in that case)

5. Headphone amp if available (nice to have)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
1st gear in sport mode and warm up the dummy loads. Switch to Pure Direct, turn the attenuator to 0dB, put it in drive and wait for the green light.

Best of two runs, and try not to blow the engine this time OK, Amir? :)

openvista

First time poster here.

My RX-A1080 should be here tomorrow or Monday! I had been waiting for this review before purchase, but couldn't wait longer since my wife is out of town next week. I will use that opportunity to set it up and perform speaker/sub optimizations using REW, Gold Line and an SPL meter. (She HATES the sweep tones and pink noise.)

So please count my +1 for measurements while DSP is engaged in HDMI and S/PDIF. Plus, I'd like to see if it's worth connecting my Topping D10 via analog RCA.

If possible, it would quite helpful to see some measurement of crossover distortion, which is an oft ignored, but quite audible and irritating form of distortion that can easily rear its ugly head in class A/B amps.

Appreciate everything you do here!

openvista

I should add... I plan to wait to unbox the RX-A1080 for up to 48 hours in anticipation of the forthcoming review. If it tests poorly, I may just send it back for a refund.

Currently I own a Pioneer SC-1223-K which, aside from a poorly implemented volume control (cheap LSI chip I suspect) seems to function adequately. Mainly I upgraded for 4K video standards, but I also wanted full analog pre-outs and a better performing DSP.

eycatcher

The Yamaha should measure and perform very well and be a good upgrade from your pioneer. I would expect it to be on par with the Anthem. It’s unfortunate that Yamaha doesnt get measured by other platforms it’s a real sleeper. Let your ears do the test. It’s easy to make any of these products fail or look bad under certain scenarios.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should add... I plan to wait to unbox the RX-A1080 for up to 48 hours in anticipation of the forthcoming review. If it tests poorly, I may just send it back for a refund.
I have to run out to pick up another AVR today. Have run most of the tests already and will post them today.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stretch request: what about hooking it up in main rig to measure YPAO?

I don’t think there is any info on YPAO’s target curve, so I would also love for @amirm to measure this. I know Audyssey’s default is a 3dB dip at 2kHz and flat <1kHz with a slight HF slope, which is not great and why I recommend the $20 app to edit this; YPAO is stated for be the only close competitor in the consumer AV receiver category (Onkyo/Pioneer and Sony’s are said to be poor).

audimus

I don’t think there is any info on YPAO’s target curve, so I would also love for @amirm to measure this. I know Audyssey’s default is a 3dB dip at 2kHz and flat <1kHz with a slight HF slope, which is not great and why I recommend the $20 app to edit this; YPAO is stated for be the only close competitor in the consumer AV receiver category (Onkyo/Pioneer and Sony’s are said to be poor).

I would say having tried both Anthem ARC and Denon Audyssey xt 32 in the same setup, ARC stands above all of these non-Dirac ones in the auto correction results when you don’t meddle with targets and do other manual tuning (like 90%+ of the people). It is difficult to compare when you do manual adjustments.

audimus

Yamaha as a company has had more and longer experience with DACs and DSPs than any of the other brands, so I would expect a good measurement. If the measurements are bad, then it would be one of practical compromises than competence.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
If the measurements are bad, then it would be one of practical compromises than competence.

If the measurements are bad, they are bad.

Let's not polish any turds, even those from a brand with some history in the business.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Let's not polish any turds, even those from a brand with some history in the business.

Some history? The DSP-1 started it all in 1985. You haven't experienced DSP sound field recreation until you've had a play with one of those...

1569106586336.png

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
As an Aussie, you should be familiar with down playing the extreme.

My counterpoint was that having once built quality gear doesn't give a company a "hall pass" for a poor product.

Top Bottom