• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre amp/dac with sub out and bass management

H-RYCAJ

I am racking my brain trying to find a preamp or DAC with lfe/sub out going into hypex power amplifier. It seems like mini DSP HD/SHD is the only fix. Are there any other units in the sub 600 dollar range on the market? I like the Yamaha unit as it has a built-in streamer and allows me to remove my RPI. The arylic produce is also nice but measured poorly on ASR. Alternatively, could I use something like a topping pre 90 and run xlr into the hypex amp and the RCA out to my sub and use the built-in cross-over on the sub? I am currently using a Yamaha RX v4a because it allows me to remove all the clutter. Has, streaming capabilities, two sub out, bi-amp capabilities and running a pair of LSIM 703's beautifully.

I know of these products that fit the bill. Is there anything else?

Emotiva seems fixed at 80hz. Yamaha wxc 50b most likely sends a full range signal via the sub out. The manual doesn't show anything about low pass cut-offs, and Aryllic is most likely the same. Full range sub out.

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/basx-pt1-stereo-preamplifier-dac-tuner

Keened

Forum Donor

D

Deleted member 47224

Maybe look for a Parasound P5 on second hand market ? I don't have it, and don't know how it perform, although I've read the analog part is quite good and the DAC is average. There's a Stereophile review with measurements.

ChuckFinley

I am on this same search for a small preamp with bass management. I currently have a Marantz NR1200 which does have proper sub outs with adjustable LPF, and I am assuming (though the documentation does not seem to specify) that it is also setting a high pass filter so that when I set the unit's LPF at 80hz, it's sending signal below that to the sub and above it to the L/Rs. I like the NR1200 but just got a pair of Paradigm Founder 80f speakers, replacing my old Martin Logan Motion 20s. Having spent a lot more on the Paradigms and absolutely loving them, I just got an Audiophonics NC252MP amp to get more and cleaner power (it hasn't arrived yet so no comparison; even it it mainly sounds the same, it'll at least give me peace of mind that I have more headroom and better SINAD!). With the audio equipment domino effect though, I now want to look at getting a better proper preamp/dac (under the assumption it will actually sound better than my NR1200...).

And so this search is on because although my sub (SVS NSD-12) has low pass adjustment, I really want to still be able to not have a full range signal going to the L/R channels (as I think the Marantz is doing LPF/HPF but just as a cheaper all-in-1 unit). Another option (assuming I correctly understand how this works!) would be if one has a sub with speaker level inputs and outputs and running the speaker cables from power amp to sub to L/R speakers (unfortunately, the NSD-12 does not have speaker level). Is it correct that the sub speaker out would use a HPF and only send above the LPF setting to the other speakers?

My main issue is $$$. There are definitely some nice preamps with good dacs and sub outs (e.g. NAD C 658), but they're out of my price range (it's not so much that the money isn't there or can't be saved but that wife is not too keen on this much going toward a system ;-)

So, yep, preamp/dacs with bass management in a $300-700 range that pair SQ-wise with with hypex ncores and Paradigm Founder series? I did just read up on the miniDSP Flex and it does seem interesting.

speakerhead85

I do exactly what you're contemplating with a smsl su-8. I feed my xlr - nc252mp - floorstanders then use RCA - emotiva subwoofer and use the internal crossover. Don't have any complaints.

Hope that's helps.

Top Bottom