• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre amp and Power amp vs integrated amp

KingTing

Hi guys, I want to build an audiophile set up around Wharfedale evo 4.2, it suits perfectly for the design and I had a few listening experience which I loved.

As of now I have these in mind:
Streamer : ifi pro streamer
DAC: Schiit Bifrost OR Pegasus R2R OR Musician Draco OR Denafrips Ares II
[Pre amp: Schiit Saga
Power AMP: Schiit AEGIR
OR
Integrated AMP: Cambridge Audio CXA61/Audiolab 6000A]

I will stay at the mid fi range even if I upgrade in a couple of years, so I would at most upgrade to a EVO4.4 floorstand speaker (equivalent) and adding a sub.
Would the power amp be an overkill? I actually cannot find anything similar to schiit power amp. How important is the pre amp to the set up, other than the volume knob?

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are the audiophile, not the gear. Mid-fi means you only want some middle ground in fidelity? Or the silly term about pricing of the gear?

As to specific gear, choose it for the connectivity and spec or power/impedance handling of the amp; think you're way overthinking the role of the dac, tho. The speakers would be a far better place to invest than the dac.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Would the power amp be an overkill?

2x40W into a 87dB speaker. No, that would be the opposite of overkill. Unless you plan on using it as a nearfield setup. Even then it would be nice with some more headroom. You can get some exceptionally good Class-D amps these days with a truckload more power on tap. Class-A have become pointless. You don't even get pretty glowing tubes... just the electric space heater.

I actually cannot find anything similar to schiit power amp.

Similar in what way?

How important is the pre amp to the set up, other than the volume knob?

Not important. Input switching and gain control. That's all it does.

BTW, I don't see why you would need an extra DAC. The ifi streamer already has one built in.

(The ifi streamer is silly, IMO. Personally I would not waste money on it, unless you are just dying for the aesthetics)

Last edited:

Rat God

There has (to my knowledge) never been a blind test that shows that a 50€ DAC is distinguishable to human hearing from a 5000€ DAC, on the other end I've never seen a blind test where the speakers/headphones are not distinguishable. So spend your money where it actually matters.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
BTW, I hope the snarkiness hasn't scared OP away. @KingTing Just drop a 'hi' in this thread, and then read, learn and have fun :):

OP
K

KingTing

BTW, I hope the snarkiness hasn't scared OP away. @KingTing Just drop a 'hi' in this thread, and then read, learn and have fun :):
Hey thanks for checking up.

You are right in a few things:
I should be running the Schiit AEGIR in mono block.
I am wondering if there's something similar to it, in terms of size and output power. The only other one I can find is quite a bit more expensive, the Teac AP505. (70W 8ohm) and it can run in a mono block

Honestly I am stuck because I had a pretty good NT505 network player before but the network part just didn't work anymore, which makes it pretty useless.
That's why I am building a system trying to isolate the key components of the system so this should be upgrade-able and easy to maintain.

The Zen Wifi doesn't have the DAC (gotta buy seperately). though right now I might just get the Cambridge audio EVO75 or even EVO150 if I can find a good deal. Save up some cash to go Wharfedale evo 4.4.

It's going into my living room so it gotta look good as well

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Well, I guess that would be a sort of solution. But what is it about the Aegir that makes it attractive to you?

I am wondering if there's something similar to it, in terms of size and output power.

Big, heavy and with a puny amount of power? There's lots of those, but why would you want that?

EDIT: Okay, the Aegir is not that big. But it's definitely heavy and inefficient.

The only other one I can find is quite a bit more expensive, the Teac AP505. (70W 8ohm) and it can run in a mono block

There's thousands and thousands of power amps out there o_O

When you say "can find", do you mean that you can see them in person at the local dealer?

Honestly I am stuck because I had a pretty good NT505 network player before but the network part just didn't work anymore, which makes it pretty useless.
The Zen Wifi doesn't have the DAC (gotta buy seperately).

The DAC in the NT-505 still works? Maybe get the Zen Stream and connect the two? :)

Last edited:
OP
K

KingTing

Well, I guess that would be a sort of solution. But what is it about the Aegir that makes it attractive to you?

Big, heavy and with a puny amount of power? There's lots of those, but why would you want that?

There's thousands and thousands of power amps out there o_O

When you say "can find", do you mean that you can see them in person at the local dealer?

The DAC in the NT-505 still works? Maybe get the Zen Stream and connect the two? :)
Unfortunately over here the high power amps are extremely expensive. The Aegir seems to have the form and the price factor done well for me.

I have since then sold off the NT-505 and I am building a whole new system, which is why I am able to throw in a bit more money than usual.
The original setup I listed could be far too much hardware and power cable nightmare though haha.

I guess I might just go for a wifi streamer and an integrated amp or all in one solution.

F

freemansteve

I might just get the Cambridge audio EVO75 or even EVO150 if I can find a good deal. Save up some cash to go Wharfedale evo 4.4.

It's going into my living room so it gotta look good as well

You will not be disappointed, it's very good "mid-fi". And your S.O. / wife / partner will appreciate your consideration.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Cambridge Audio CXA61
I assume you may not have seen this;
I wouldn't think the smaller brother would be any better...

JSmith

Reactions: ENG

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right in a few things:
Amir's measurements showed poor performance running in mono, only about 20W unless you accept a lot of distortion.

Maybe the upcoming Soncoz amp will fit your needs. There isn't much information about this though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome @KingTing !

You are new here. It will be a bit jolting at first. Follow the advices and you will end up with a system that will wipe the floor with those so-called “High End “ systems. Truth!
First how big is the room?
Any sketch of it even back of napkin type?
Budget?

Don’t be married to brands, although some do produce almost on a routine basis objectively good to excellent products.
Later…

Peace.

Top Bottom