• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prayers for Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Power went down last night 941 PM and is still down. Neighbor's Sycamore tree came apart and water coming up the hill in the woods a bit higher than previous storms. We are above flood plain but just down the street is not and has flooding issues. Got generator setup at noon today and have internet again. Power company not starting repairs until tomorrow.

1664480378501.jpeg

1664480392081.jpeg

1664480417477.jpeg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Power went down last night 941 PM and is still down. Neighbor's Sycamore tree came apart and water coming up the hill in the woods a bit higher than previous storms. We are above flood plain but just down the street is not and has flooding issues. Got generator setup at noon today and have internet again. Power company not starting repairs until tomorrow.

View attachment 234026
View attachment 234027
View attachment 234028
HoLY CRaP! That's close. Soon there'll be gators swimmin' in your front yard.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, maybe not. My house was built in 1963. It has been through a handful of hurricanes, although only one since I bought it in 1998. The addition I had built 10 years ago has hurricane ties, sheathing panels for shear resistance, etc. that the original part of the house lacks. If a powerful enough storm came through I know what part of the house we will hole up in, and it's not the 1963 part.
Well, I know for a fact that the house my parents built in 1963 (we moved in in 1964) has withstood at least 183 MPH (that is what the anemometer was reading when it broke) winds. And I know that the winds were ultimately closer to 200 MPH than 183 MPH. I have a felling that if these speeds were again likely (we were told that, at the worst, it would be a low CAT 3) & I were on the mainland, I would have headed of in some direction to be away from the storms brunt.
I have been in storms on islands (far enough away from any place larger than 50 square miles that you couldn't leave by car and you would have had to plan well ahead to leave by boat or plane) in the Western Pacific where the 1 minute average was 180 MPH, many gusts were 220 MPH and the peak gust was 223, so I have a good idea of why to leave if you can.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I know for a fact that the house my parents built in 1963 (we moved in in 1964) has withstood at least 183 MPH (that is what the anemometer was reading when it broke) winds. And I know that the winds were ultimately closer to 200 MPH than 183 MPH. I have a felling that if these speeds were again likely (we were told that, at the worst, it would be a low CAT 3) & I were on the mainland, I would have headed of in some direction to be away from the storms brunt.
I have been in storms on islands (far enough away from any place larger than 50 square miles that you couldn't leave by car and you would have had to plan well ahead to leave by boat or plane) in the Western Pacific where the 1 minute average was 180 MPH, many gusts were 220 MPH and the peak gust was 223, so I have a good idea of why to leave if you can.
I get all pointy faced when reading this stuff! :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Lost power here about 8:00pm, restored 4:30pm.

Drove out to the airport in Zephyrhills, everything looked safe.

Went to a pizza takeout. Long line inside, turns out there were two lines. One for Credit Cards with about 15 people in it, and one for Cash with one person in it.

Got a $10 (exact) pizza and went home.

Some little tree damage, and a few soffit squares blew out on the north side of the high part of the roof.

Now to turn on the TV and see what's left of the southwestern end of the state (again).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lost power here about 8:00pm, restored 4:30pm.

Drove out to the airport in Zephyrhills, everything looked safe.

Went to a pizza takeout. Long line inside, turns out there were two lines. One for Credit Cards with about 15 people in it, and one for Cash with one person in it.

Got a $10 (exact) pizza and went home.

Some little tree damage, and a few soffit squares blew out on the north side of the high part of the roof.

Now to turn on the TV and see what's left of the southwestern end of the state (again).
KewliO. Sounds like with some luck you'll be up and soaring in days and dang the torpedoZ. Life carries ON.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cousin in Tampa rode it out and was relieved it came ashore south of them. Tree limbs down and power out but no flooding.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick relayed a message from him earlier saying they are fine but without internet access. Big relief....

Checked on Adam just now.

He is in recovery mode and hopes to be back in action tomorrow. :)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Went for a drive to a local park to walk the dog. The trail around the lake was under water, so limited walking. Still, our dog got the hanging out the car widow effect just standing in place. Lots of trees down everywhere. It's a mess, but nothing like Captiva, Sanibel, and Fort Myers where it came ashore.
When we got back power was back!

1664494261869.jpeg

1664494289512.jpeg

1664494313419.jpeg

1664494340819.jpeg

ADU

Major Contributor
Just want to add my best wishes to those in Florida, Canada, PR, and other parts of the Southeast who may be coping right now with the continuing threats from the tropics. And my hope that the impact of these storms will not be too severe and onerous.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With hurricane/typhoons it's always the coastal areas that get hit first and hardest.
I've been thru 3 hurricanes in FL now but Typhoon Kate in 1970 Vietnam was just insane.
My Infantry unit was stationed on a mountaintop pulling perimeter security for a radio relay station from inside bunkers positioned all around it's top. We had one inch handline strung from building to building to hold as we went to messhall or latrine. Winds were incredible, it was definitely hazardous duty just going to take a dump. LOL
Thank you for your service.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was reminded last night that for whatever reasons, we tend to more attentive to the mainland US concerns. So just wanted to send a little love to Puerto Ricans too. The island has taken multiple hits and Hurricane Fiona left half the island without power for the last two weeks. :eek:

Willem

Major Contributor
This truly awful. From what I read it is supposed to have been a one in a thousand year event, but such events seem to happen more often these days. As a Dutchman, I also observe these videos with some surprise. Would it not be better to ban building houses so close to the shoreline, and would it not be better to build some dikes? Or is the heavy rain a large part of the problem?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
To all the Well Wishers and friends/members who have expressed concern about our safety. I say a very heartfelt Thank you! You words of encouragement were and are incredibly appreciated. Amazing group of people/friends we have here.

IAN. Was brutal and relentless. With sustained winds blowing over 100 mph (personally measured by me and my wife on multiple occasions). My home made blood curdling sounds I have never heard it make before. It got very sketchy and stayed that way for what felt like 2 entire days and nights. Making evacuation an impossible decision for us and many more. We were fortunate to be in the offshore wind sector of the north eye wall of hurricane IAN. It seemed endless and was by a large margin the Worst and Slowest Hurricane in my lifetime. I have lived in Florida for a long time and went to high school here. The slow moving high intensity of this storm will make the history books. Entire communities and sections of south west Florida have been essentially erased. We live in a relatively new construction section development. The houses are all Cinder block with backfilled concrete and reinforcement steel rods. Our roofs are made of triple layered crossecting plywood that is reinforced with metal strapping directly into the trusses that are then tied into the cinder block concrete walls. On top of that are heavy ceramic tiles that are also strap tied into this web of reinforced ties and straps. Our home meets and exceeds all the current standards. Why do I tell you this? Because it underlies my decision to ride the storm out and hunker in place.

None of the above matters when you are facing storm surge. Walls of salt water can be stopped by nothing. If you get flooded in this way it’s game over. I knew we had to be on the north side of the storm. When the storm was originally projected to hit Tampa Bay and north of us we were arranging to go stay with family in Naples/Ft. Myers. Then at the last minute as we had packed up the truck to boogie south. IAN decided to go south and south again. It kept changing path every few hours. Making it incredibly stressful to make proper decisions. At the last min we decided to stay and we unpacked the truck and brought everything back inside the house. We invited our family in Naples to come stay with us. But they felt it was too late to try to make the drive. They survived but not without significant damage to property and mental state. All through the night I would wake up just to place a foot on the floor/ground to check if the floor was wet. I did this every hour throughout the night. Yesterday as the storm passed us and the winds receded we assessed the damage which was minimal and mostly plants and trees. As the morning arrived I was hit with extreme exhaustion both physically and mentally. I did nothing yesterday except lay around on the couch. I didn’t even log on to see if Brad needed any help. We were both completely tapped. The longest 50+ hours in recent memory.

I believe IAN was most certainly a very strong cat 5 hurricane and that they will go back and reevaluate it and revise it to a 5. The winds were so brutal and nonstop you could barely get a door open and it took all of your strength to close it again. If you moved more than a foot from protective structure you got knocked off your feet almost instantly. We had to just stick our hands and arms out to take wind speed readings. Nature is no joke and there is nothing built by man that can withstand the worst it has to deal out. A reminder to myself that we are just momentary visitors upon the land and we don’t own a thing that Mother Nature can’t take back at any moment.

Our prayers and well wishes go out to those south of us. We have offered our home as refuge for anyone who needs a dry place to lay their heads and warm meals to fill their bellies. I am working with my local American Legion to provide aid, assistance and money to those less fortunate and left with nothing. We count our blessings as we gather our loved ones together and realize exactly what was at stake.

Thank you all again for the support and prayers.

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To all the Well Wishers and friends/members who have expressed concern about our safety. I say a very heartfelt Thank you! You words of encouragement were and are incredibly appreciated. Amazing group of people/friends we have here.

IAN. Was brutal and relentless. With sustained winds blowing over 100 mph (personally measured by me and my wife on multiple occasions). My home made blood curdling sounds I have never heard it make before. It got very sketchy and stayed that way for what felt like 2 entire days and nights. Making evacuation an impossible decision for us and many more. We were fortunate to be in the offshore wind sector of the north eye wall of hurricane IAN. It seemed endless and was by a large margin the Worst and Slowest Hurricane in my lifetime. I have lived in Florida for a long time and went to high school here. The slow moving high intensity of this storm will make the history books. Entire communities and sections of south west Florida have been essentially erased. We live in a relatively new construction section development. The houses are all Cinder block with backfilled concrete and reinforcement steel rods. Our roofs are made of triple layered crossecting plywood that is reinforced with metal strapping directly into the trusses that are then tied into the cinder block concrete walls. On top of that are heavy ceramic tiles that are also strap tied into this web of reinforced ties and straps. Our home meets and exceeds all the current standards. Why do I tell you this? Because it underlies my decision to ride the storm out and hunker in place.

None of the above matters when you are facing storm surge. Walls of salt water can be stopped by nothing. If you get flooded in this way it’s game over. I knew we had to be on the north side of the storm. When the storm was originally projected to hit Tampa Bay and north of us we were arranging to go stay with family in Naples/Ft. Myers. Then at the last minute as we had packed up the truck to boogie south. IAN decided to go south and south again. It kept changing path every few hours. Making it incredibly stressful to make proper decisions. At the last min we decided to stay and we unpacked the truck and brought everything back inside the house. We invited our family in Naples to come stay with us. But they felt it was too late to try to make the drive. They survived but not without significant damage to property and mental state. All through the night I would wake up just to place a foot on the floor/ground to check if the floor was wet. I did this every hour throughout the night. Yesterday as the storm passed us and the winds receded we assessed the damage which was minimal and mostly plants and trees. As the morning arrived I was hit with extreme exhaustion both physically and mentally. I did nothing yesterday except lay around on the couch. I didn’t even log on to see if Brad needed any help. We were both completely tapped. The longest 50+ hours in recent memory.

I believe IAN was most certainly a very strong cat 5 hurricane and that they will go back and reevaluate it and revise it to a 5. The winds were so brutal and nonstop you could barely get a door open and it took all of your strength to close it again. If you moved more than a foot from protective structure you got knocked off your feet almost instantly. We had to just stick our hands and arms out to take wind speed readings. Nature is no joke and there is nothing built by man that can withstand the worst it has to deal out. A reminder to myself that we are just momentary visitors upon the land and we don’t own a thing that Mother Nature can’t take back at any moment.

Our prayers and well wishes go out to those south of us. We have offered our home as refuge for anyone who needs a dry place to lay their heads and warm meals to fill their bellies. I am working with my local American Legion to provide aid, assistance and money to those less fortunate and left with nothing. We count our blessings as we gather our loved ones together and realize exactly what was at stake.

Thank you all again for the support and prayers.
God bless you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom