• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prayers for Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gosh, I used to go Bird photography there when I lived in Florida! Can't imagine the thought of total loss. Wishing them happier times in the future.
Thank you. They moved there because they are wild life conservationists. They spent all their free time to look after the part of the beach which is a CWA.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched a TV blurb about the state of Florida search and rescue. They are leaving dead bodies behind but marking their positions to collect them later. It's all about the search and rescue at this time.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I know of a guy who moved to Orlando from Chicago, I wonder how much leaving behind those winters matters to him.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched a TV blurb about the state of Florida search and rescue. They are leaving dead bodies behind but marking their positions to collect them later. It's all about the search and rescue at this time.
That's a scary thought. When the bodies are recovered it will be difficult to handle them because area mortuaries are likely wrecked.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know of a guy who moved to Orlando from Chicago, I wonder how much leaving behind those winters matters to him.
That's what I did over 12 years ago..
I've never missed a day of the freezing cold or shoveling that damn snow.
I wouldn't go back under gunpoint. :mad:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was concieved in Charleston, South Carolina (gets a dusting of snow every 7 years or so) and born in Salzburg, Austria (the Austrian Alps area known as Salzburger Land). While I grew up mostly in the southern US, I also made 9 trips to Austria (lasting from 3 weeks to 4 months) during my younger years (visiting my grandparents, other relatives and snow skiing in the Austrian Alps). When I was a teenager, I also snow skied in and around Boone, North Carolina. By the time I was 14, I had already decided that I would never live where snow was a feature of the landscape every year. But I didn't mind being able to drive to a place that had snow & drive back to a home that would most likely not have any snow.
These days, both my wife (who comes from a place that gets a smattering of snow about every 15 years) would rather never be in a place that goes less than 64 F. We were set for about 18 years in a place that never went below 73 (or above 96) but for the foreseeable future we will have to deal with Charleston, South Carolina's occasional below freezing temperatures. At some point we will likely be moving to central FL (or further South, [possibly an island + or - 15 degrees from the equator, like we were before]) joining with the other folks that would just as soon never see snow again.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The recovery in hard hit areas of Florida will take 10 years. This is what the experts say, and it sure looks that way in Houston 5 years after Harvey. There are still parts of Houston and Galveston. Ike was in 2008 and there are places here and there which have not been repaired, especially in Galveston. The remnants of Ian are still causing rain. There will be a lot of economic damage because the Florida tourist season is barely 2 months away. Repairs will be slow as there is a shortage of construction workers in Florida.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The recovery in hard hit areas of Florida will take 10 years. This is what the experts say, and it sure looks that way in Houston 5 years after Harvey. There are still parts of Houston and Galveston. Ike was in 2008 and there are places here and there which have not been repaired, especially in Galveston. The remnants of Ian are still causing rain. There will be a lot of economic damage because the Florida tourist season is barely 2 months away. Repairs will be slow as there is a shortage of construction workers in Florida.
True. I work on a 634 acre state park (Charles Town Landing) and some of the damage from Ian was started by Hugo (Sept 1989)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The aftermath is not nice. So far 105 dead in Florida, 4 in North Carolina. On barrier islands off the Florida coast there is near total destruction. Some are now cut off from the mainland and are uninhabitable. It's reported alligators and snakes are running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom