• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PRaT: Real? Measurable? Or just BS?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
PRaT,
Save the fairy tails for the toddlers.

Rodney Gold

I have a theory .. that gear with prat chops off note decay thus giving rise to a staccato effect leading to a perception of "fastness"
I can tell you the relative pace of music has changed as I have changed gear .. some of it just didn't portray the music as snappy as I remembered..or vice versa

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have a theory .. that gear with prat chops off note decay thus giving rise to a staccato effect leading to a perception of "fastness"
I can tell you the relative pace of music has changed as I have changed gear .. some of it just didn't portray the music as snappy as I remembered..or vice versa

This is the opposite of what @Frank Dernie said... it's the gear that resonates (perpetuating decay, presumably), that is high in PRaT.

Also, "remembered" relative to what? The same recording on a different transducer with different distortions?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Don’t know about PRaT I but Iv had plenty of audiophile kit in the house that sounded rolled off , dull, polite , bland and meaningless.

Kinda like Christian rock music... so I would not trust a audiophile to identify pace rhythm and timing in any case.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My read of the modern use of the term is "when everything falls in place" and in essence sounds perfect in the eyes (errr, ears) of the listener.

I think it is a pretty term. And sad that as objectivists we don't have cool term like it. I blamed it all on Thomas as he should have come up with one by now. Bollocks doesn't count because it is not original!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair point, and even a rational one, relative to vinyl. Same can be said of transducers. But one would have thought PRaT would only be applied to transducers, and yet we hear it applied to amps and DACs.
I quite agree, I am at a loss to understand how electronics could be included, mind you the Audio Note SET amp and filterless DAC Martin reviewed added very substantial amounts of distortion.
He asked the question at one time "does this sound good despite the measurements or because of them". I am quite sure it is because of them and that many people like certain added distortion, that is, in my view, the only rational explanation.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My read of the modern use of the term is "when everything falls in place" and in essence sounds perfect in the eyes (errr, ears) of the listener.

I think it is a pretty term. And sad that as objectivists we don't have cool term like it. I blamed it all on Thomas as he should have come up with one by now. Bollocks doesn't count because it is not original!

DiDDy

Directivity, Distortion, Dynamics

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

I come up with plenty original words , or words spelt in a original way at least :D

Cosmik

Major Contributor

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I kind of get the idea of PRAT a far as how i internalized the word, to objectively measure it, measure group delay. That is PRAT.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My own perspective is perhaps overly simplistic... anyone who uses the term is one.

fas42

Major Contributor

Yes, "good PRaT" simply means that the system is competent - nothing more than that. I have come across systems which subjectively feel like they're dragging the beat; one registers that the musicians are just going through the motions, and are ready to head to bed ... it's how our hearing is reacting to a type of distortion in the replay; fix that distortion and the sound "springs back to life".

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, "good PRaT" simply means that the system is competent - nothing more than that. I have come across systems which subjectively feel like they're dragging the beat; one registers that the musicians are just going through the motions, and are ready to head to bed ... it's how our hearing is reacting to a type of distortion in the replay; fix that distortion and the sound "springs back to life".

So, in your mind, PRaT is real....but is it measurable or unmeasurable?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
As per thomas, its bollocks. Its totally meaningless as a description.

It may be describing some aspect of the sound, but I have no idea what. It certainly has nothing to do with pace, rhythm or timing.

To use the term WRT to hifi would however make you a prat.

It is a descriptor of the performance and not applicable to reproduction.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As per thomas, its bollocks. Its totally meaningless as a description.

It may be describing some aspect of the sound, but I have no idea what. It certainly has nothing to do with pace, rhythm or timing.

To use the term would however make you a prat.

I think it's very real -- but I think the source of pace, rhythm, and timing are produced by the musicians who made the recording in the first place.

As a logic test, I would ask the believers in 'system' PRaT what happens if I play auditory chaos through a 'high PRaT' system....does it magically create tunefulness out of randomness?

fas42

Major Contributor
So, in your mind, PRaT is real....but is it measurable or unmeasurable?
Not specifically as something I would call PRaT - there would be some type of distortion that would be measurable, if you fed the system an appropriate stimulus signal - but what the right signal would be I don't know. I could say I have almost never experienced "poor PRaT" in a setup I was sorting out - the key type of distortion artifact was got rid of very quickly, automatically, by the improving of various areas that I normally worry about.

Ken Newton

I've heard systems which subjectively do seem to possess an hard to describe 'driven' character. The sound frequently, though probably inaccurately, just seems to lock into a propulsive groove. This can be an highly satisfying effect with rock, pop, R&B, etc.

The effect appears to be an mid-bass focused phenomena, but is not necessarily an obviously bass prominent sound. In addition, the sound character can feature an coherence, for lack of a better term, across the entire audio spectrum, not just the mid-bass. I suspect there isn't a single metric that quantifies this effect, it likely being due to some confluence of multiple system parameters, maybe including room acoustics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom