• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Practice makes perfect? Not so fast!

Nemo

Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It never seemed to me the difference could be only due to hours of practice. An obvious way to interpret this result is that something like 10,000 hrs is a threshold for any violinist to reach their potential. Once you've crossed that threshold other factors may be the difference in good and great.

I remember reading Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. About reaching peak experiences which he named experiencing Flow. I seem to recall in that book he found it took 3-500 hrs to learn something, around 3-10,000 to master it depending upon what the activity was. He didn't look at before or after age 20, and didn't compare good with best as I recall. Even then it probably isn't correct to say anyone can learn anything to a good level with enough practice time. It does mean if you want to get good at something you can't shortcut putting in the time. And you have to put in the time to experience flow with an activity.

I know I've tried to learn musical instruments, and it just isn't in me. I was told by so many people just stick with it, you have to put in your time and it will happen as sure as night turns into day. Well the last time I kept a workbook and kept up with the time I was putting in. After 500 hrs I stunk it up like an untalented 5 year old. Other things I've been able to be pretty good at I've estimated hours spent on it, and been astonished it was so many. So no surprise I was okay at those things.

As for musical instruments, I'm a virtuoso in playing the stereo. :)

EDIT to add: Also think about how much time 10,000 hrs is. Assuming someone started when they were 5 it takes about 2 hrs every single day until you are 20. There aren't many activities you can put that kind of time into. I've found the 3-500 hr estimate to learn something well seems to be just about right. Mastery takes much more.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The '10,000 hours' could also be a differentiator between those with the appetite for something versus the rest. If you're no good at something, you're unlikely to devote your life to it. If you do the 10,000 hours it's highly likely you're good at it and you know it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I strongly recommend the movie The Gig. It was painful for me to watch because I lived it.

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
I did practice swimming "professionally" (but of course I did not get paid), and even if I never calculated how many hours (and it's depressing to calculate it now) but I remember it was enought to swam around the world and more... Interestingly, and in line with the comments here, I was never anything but "competent" while two of my mates made it to the Olympics (Sidney 2000). Therefore, I am very receptive to the idea that practise by itself is a necessary but not sufficient condition ...

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor

Full movie on youtube.

Of course you might be confused if you watched this Thai version instead. Does have English subtitles.
Thanks for the recommendation

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
An English soccer coach who's name I've forgotten said "Practice does not necessarily make perfect; practice makes permanent." Be careful what you make permanent. There are endless threads about what, how, and when to practice on the trumpet forum I help moderate. To be as succinct as possible it is focused practice that matters, and focus balanced across different areas, that is required. Then the dedication to do it. Barbara Butler, a famous player and teacher, has a list of ten points that set apart the students who win the top auditions and those who do not. I do not remember them all, but focused intense practice and great dedication were among them.

FWIWFM - Don

vert

Forum Donor
Depends on the quality of practice. Worth reading : The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

dc655321

Major Contributor
Most memorable quote (not the person who made it, mind you) I've retained on the matter is, "Only perfect practice makes perfect".
I fail on all counts...

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Full movie on youtube.

Of course you might be confused if you watched this Thai version instead. Does have English subtitles.
I added both to my "Watch Later" playlist. The Thai film has 1.1k likes, and only 92 dislikes, so it might be really good!

Edited to add: Umm, no. lol, but it was worth a try. I've found good movies through similar means before. :D

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've got to have an intangible 'genius' or intrinsic talent to be more than simply good; at least with something artistic. Or even in sports. I remember Shaq. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't hit free throws. But he was talented (and big enough) to do the other stuff. So it didn't matter.

Top Bottom