• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powernode (2021) vs H/K Citation vs Sonos Amp vs NAD D 3045

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can I ask you to take a photo of how you implemented this?
20231109_203320.jpg

Its not pretty, I just ordered a usb to Fan Adapter cable. I wanted to use 4 Fans and put the amp on top of it, but I had some faint resonances from the fans, so i just use this till i can build something better. Fans are dead silent at 5v though.

I also put the amp on 4 dice so its floating a bit in air. This thing gets really hot so you gotta improvise xD

Edit: i just measured 38 degrees at the hottest point on the top after 90mins of listening. I guess its even hotter inside it.

Last edited:

vazakh

Maybe put it on a stand they make for cooling gaming laptops? They come with one or two fans powered by a USB port.

ninetylol

Maybe put it on a stand they make for cooling gaming laptops? They come with one or two fans powered by a USB port.
Yes but those Fans are normally shit and loud.

My plan is to buy a noctua 200mm 5v Fan, put the amp on some sort of grid and be done with it.

vazakh

Yes but those Fans are normally shit and loud.

My plan is to buy a noctua 200mm 5v Fan, put the amp on some sort of grid and be done with it.
Good plan, I'll probably do that too. It remains to figure out how to make a structure, maybe install a fan in the shelf on which the amplifier will stand.

PeterOo

@vazakh @ninetylol On a side note, if you play a 1000Hz tone over airplay does it sound ok? With my Citation Amp I hear a rhythmic static/rattling sound. It happens with airplay, but not bluetooth or Spotify connect. The problem has been acknowledged by HK, but no promises that it would be fixed.

ninetylol

@vazakh @ninetylol On a side note, if you play a 1000Hz tone over airplay does it sound ok? With my Citation Amp I hear a rhythmic static/rattling sound. It happens with airplay, but not bluetooth or Spotify connect. The problem has been acknowledged by HK, but no promises that it would be fixed.
I dont have an apple device sorry.

ninetylol

Update I still get the occasional "pops" when listening over my Lg C2 OLED. This is why I sent back my first Citation Amp. It's a very short pop or crackle randomly interupting in between audio like when you shut a amp off.

I know the Lg Optical out is pretty Crap but my old Onkyo Stereo Receiver never had a problem with it.

This makes me a bit sad, since I totally love the amp elsewise :(

vazakh

Update I still get the occasional "pops" when listening over my Lg C2 OLED. This is why I sent back my first Citation Amp. It's a very short pop or crackle randomly interupting in between audio like when you shut a amp off.

I know the Lg Optical out is pretty Crap but my old Onkyo Stereo Receiver never had a problem with it.

This makes me a bit sad, since I totally love the amp elsewise :(
Have you tried connecting via HDMI?

wilkman

I tried with my last one with no success. New hdmi arc cable is arriving today.
HDMI Arc with my LG OLED C9 works great.

But I think I'll send it back because I can hear the whine after some time. That's annoying. Such a great receiver which would be awesome if they would have implemented a proper passive cooling system, like in other class D receivers.

GiBo61

I was once interested in buying a HK Citation Amp but after reading all the unsolved issues on this and other forums I decided to get a Sabaj A30a. It's a very similar full-digital amplifier (calss D, small size, same power output, similar cost, same Axign technology). After 12 months I can say I'm very happy with it, it's not perfect but it has a very few limitations and seems to be quite reliable. The case is aluminum alloy, it does not heat up abnormally and drives my inefficient speakers (about 84 db) without problems. You can read more about it here.

vazakh

Good afternoon! Can you please tell me if the built-in fan of the HK Amp blows up or down? The question arose because I want to use the Noctua NF-A20 PWM, but I can’t figure out whether it’s better to place it on top or bottom, and, accordingly, in which direction it should direct the air flow.

Top Bottom