• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powering the subwoofer

In relation to powering the subwoofer what's your preferred technology

• Class A with linear power supply

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class A with smps

• Class A/B amplifier with tracking smps

• Class A/B amplifier with normal smps

• Class A/B amplifier with linear class H tracking power supply

• Class D amplifier with linear power supply

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

modulardesign

Audio Company
Bass quality is affected by many things including amplifier, bass driver and room.

osscar

I like class AB and linear power supply.
High transient peak margin/power reserve and reliability.
Of course - heavy weight and low energy efficiency.
I've seen a lot of dead class SMPS/D subwoofers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since all of these options can yield audibly transparent results (results may vary depending on implementation), especially at low frequency where distortion is very hard to hear, one should go for the most efficient option. Also given the fact that one usually needs copious amounts of power.

There are usually more important things to worry about than what amplifier technology is used. The implementation itself is far more important than the topology.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Class A/B (and especially A) in case of typical decent subwoofer means a lot of heat and heatsinks at least.
Good active customer subwoofers have amps of ~ 1 KWt and I see no sane way of anything but class D for such powers.
I've owned Halo A21 and I doubt that something equal to it in AB class (750 watts RMS x 1, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω) will fit active sub smaller than good fridge.

osscar

Of course, for high powers - class D is the right solution. But for a home user (up to 200w) - class AB/B is ok.
I have seen branded subwoofers - which work in class B with small heatsinks - very basic 4-transistor circuits with Darlington transistors at the output.

OP
M

modulardesign

Audio Company
Thanks for your input. We have three more months to go to see how this stacks up. Just like Apple vs Android :)
The brain decides how we hear or what we perceive. Keep sharing your perceptions .

Top Bottom