• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered speakers + multichannel AVR w/DSP...how would it work?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm intrigued by the excellent performance of powered monitors like Genelecs. But I am committed to multichannel playback (5.2 currently) and I am used to the convenience of 'full feature' AVRs like the Denon line, that has automatic speaker setting, room EQ DSP (further tweakable using an app) , a range of upmixers, a variety of digital input ports, and ability to recognize and decode a wide range of audio formats.

How would one integrate a set of powered speakers into such a system?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pre-out AVR => speaker

Should to the trick.. you might next RCA to XLR cable.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's no different than connecting a power amplifier to the AVR, a very common scenario.

So you need an AVR with preout support for the channels where you intend to go active.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the multichannel pre-outs on both my Denons are RCA.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Fahzz

Forum Donor
So are the inputs in most active speakers switchable from a remote controller i.e. RCA input from AVR and SPDF or USB from music streamer? Please tell me yes!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So are the inputs in most active speakers switchable from a remote controller i.e. RCA input from AVR and SPDF or USB from music streamer? Please tell me yes!

I have no idea how common it is, but ours (to pick a not so random example) will autodetect signal from any input, so as long as you don't play from multiple source at once, the concept you are proposing would work.

Top Bottom