• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered speakers for living room

Midwest Blade

I am considering the same question on active monitors in the coming months for our condo system but found your tinnitus comment on the Genelec’s interesting. I am not a loud listener on speakers or headphones but have found an increase in my ear ringing especially when using my ear pods for on line meetings or conference calls, especially over the past few years.
Have you had any testing done on your hearing? My older brother who is a huge home theater aficionado has had to begin using hearing aids to help with his tinnitus. Age and a lifetime of audible events seems to have a big bearing on this condition.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering the same question on active monitors in the coming months for our condo system but found your tinnitus comment on the Genelec’s interesting. I am not a loud listener on speakers or headphones but have found an increase in my ear ringing especially when using my ear pods for on line meetings or conference calls, especially over the past few years.
Have you had any testing done on your hearing? My older brother who is a huge home theater aficionado has had to begin using hearing aids to help with his tinnitus. Age and a lifetime of audible events seems to have a big bearing on this condition.
I found my Genelec G 5's a bit bright until I wall mounted them. Now I have the dips all flat and they're wonderful.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found my Genelec G 5's a bit bright until I wall mounted them. Now I have the dips all flat and they're wonderful.
I fully believe that, in my experience most brightness problems of good loudspeakers are bass-room interaction problems as we perceive tonality as a total, so when there are wide bass dips we perceive the sound rather mid/treble-heavy.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I fully believe that, in my experience most brightness problems of good loudspeakers are bass-room interaction problems as we perceive tonality as a total, so when we there are wide bass dips we perceive the sound rather mid/treble-heavy.
Another pleasant surprise is how well they perform now with our widescreen with spoken word.

OP
T

Thelo80

I have not any issue before the 8020. The ringing disappeared after a month. And then it started again with the 8040.
I went to the audiologist and ENT when the ringing with the 8020 was 24/7 and affecting my quality of life. The test showed that my left ear has some hearing loss in the high frequency, completely natural when you have a white noise ringing above any other noise. Went to the ENT with the test results, he did and endoscopy through my nose to the ear canal and did not find anything that could trigger the ringing. After the visit I found a $400 medical bill.

I had have the audioengine for 9 years without any problem. I have been listing music my entire life. It is not a new hobby.
I tried the Genelec with 65db to 75db. Nothing crazy. With lower volume the ringing was even more noticeable compared to the music.

No issues with work headset and apple earbuds. Only with hd598

OP
T

Thelo80

I think the Behringers were brighter than the Genelecs. So it was not a problem of high frequency definition or SPL.

Digby

Major Contributor
I have a feeling that the Behringers are more relaxed (somewhat dipped) in the midrange. What you experienced with the Genelecs may be more energy in the 2-4khz region? Consider Eve speakers with AMT tweeters. I thought they had a nice midrange region, improvement on Behringer, but I prefer Behringer tweeter.

OP
T

Thelo80

Ear is healing after several weeks of treatment. So my priority is protecting my ears more than SQ. Because of that I think my next trial is going to be the Kali In-5 as it has textile dome tweeter. I am sure it is not going to sound closer to the 8040 but it is a compromise

OP
T

Thelo80

Still trying to heal my ear. I was really depressed after two months suffering hearing problems. After visiting three ENT, one of them finally found that my inner ear is inflamed, and it was not related to Eustachian tube dysfunction. The issue started with the Genelecs after a couple of weeks of listening. I went through a cycle of corticosteroid methylprednisolone on low-mid dosage and this went the hearing is starting to get better. Tinnitus is gone when in silence (finally I can sleep!!!!) but still have some ringing with high frequency noise (shower, water in the sink, music). The hearing quality is much better. No problem with human voices.
Hopefully it will resolve in a couple of weeks

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still trying to heal my ear. I was really depressed after two months suffering hearing problems. After visiting three ENT, one of them finally found that my inner ear is inflamed, and it was not related to Eustachian tube dysfunction. The issue started with the Genelecs after a couple of weeks of listening. I went through a cycle of corticosteroid methylprednisolone on low-mid dosage and this went the hearing is starting to get better. Tinnitus is gone when in silence (finally I can sleep!!!!) but still have some ringing with high frequency noise (shower, water in the sink, music). The hearing quality is much better. No problem with human voices.
Hopefully it will resolve in a couple of weeks
Glad to hear you are getting some relief.

mj30250

At least things are moving in the right direction.

Per your question, I have KH 150s that I use on my desk and they are fantastic speakers that I would be happy to recommend. At a 3 meter distance, I don't know that I'd be as thrilled with them, but if you were happy with the output of the 8040s at that distance then they may work fine for you. They are a narrower-dispersion speaker so you'll have less high frequency reflections and I would imagine less potential to aggravate the tinnitus.

OP
T

Thelo80

Update: after 5 1/2 months of fight with several ENT and audiologist, I have to accept that I have tinnitus due to hearing loss in my left ear beyond 4k hz.
It has been a challenge; I still struggle to accept that I have to live with it forever. So this is going to be a long journey.
I know several members of the forum have tinnitus and they were able to move on with their lives. I hope to be one of them but right now I am far from it. Anxiety is worse than the tinnitus itself.

Take care of your ears.

I'm not sure if a coaxial speaker would help or hurt in your scenario, but I'm using a pair of Presonus Sceptre S6s (with a T10 sub) at a similar distance in a similar sized room. They sound great given the unfortunate placement of them (dictated by the other furniture in the room) and lack of acoustic treatment.

Top Bottom