• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered 2.1 consumer Desktop PC speakers with no audible idle hiss 2023

SeanTek

Hi, I'm new here...

I have been looking for awhile for a nice set of powered "consumer" speakers, 2.1 configuration, for desktop, near-field use to use with PC music and gaming. The most important factor for me is to have no audible hiss at close range, which I define as 12" (30cm) or more (ideally no hiss past 8" or 20cm). The second factor to me is that the (preferably built-in) DAC solution supports at least 24-bit/96kHz, but ideally 24-bit/192kHz. DSD is nice but optional, and MQA is not a factor at all.

From my research on these forums, there are some threads that address this and rank studio monitors such as the Yamaha HS series (HS5, HS7, HS8). Post #23 from stevenswall was very helpful. However, most studio monitors require a separate subwoofer (depending on the size; in the case of Yamaha HS5/HS7, another $499 for the HS8S) and DAC with XLR (~$100 to $300). Monitors are also designed to be very flat and uncolored which is best for audio production, but a little bit of signature would be just fine.

In the consumer space of speakers ranging from $49 (Creative Pebble) - $1399 (KEF LSX II; over $2000 when a sub is added), nobody really talks about idle hiss but there are a lot of bad speakers out there. Since they are just PC speakers, and only PC speakers, paying extra for connectivity features like media streaming is totally unnecessary (KEF LSX II). Let the PC do all the audio management.

I have already tried Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ($149), Klipsh ProMedia Heritage 2.1 ($349), and Audioengine A2+ ($229), all of which have unacceptable levels of idle hiss. I am currently demoing Razer Nommo Pro speakers ($599; $500 street), which have an acceptable level of idle hiss (not audible past about 8") but has an underperforming internal USB DAC for the price point: the USB Audio Class 1.0 interface is fixed at 16-bit 48kHz.

Recommendations?

Thank you all!

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I'm new here...

I have been looking for awhile for a nice set of powered "consumer" speakers, 2.1 configuration, for desktop, near-field use to use with PC music and gaming. The most important factor for me is to have no audible hiss at close range, which I define as 12" (30cm) or more (ideally no hiss past 8" or 20cm). The second factor to me is that the (preferably built-in) DAC solution supports at least 24-bit/96kHz, but ideally 24-bit/192kHz. DSD is nice but optional, and MQA is not a factor at all.

From my research on these forums, there are some threads that address this and rank studio monitors such as the Yamaha HS series (HS5, HS7, HS8). Post #23 from stevenswall was very helpful. However, most studio monitors require a separate subwoofer (depending on the size; in the case of Yamaha HS5/HS7, another $499 for the HS8S) and DAC with XLR (~$100 to $300). Monitors are also designed to be very flat and uncolored which is best for audio production, but a little bit of signature would be just fine.

In the consumer space of speakers ranging from $49 (Creative Pebble) - $1399 (KEF LSX II; over $2000 when a sub is added), nobody really talks about idle hiss but there are a lot of bad speakers out there. Since they are just PC speakers, and only PC speakers, paying extra for connectivity features like media streaming is totally unnecessary (KEF LSX II). Let the PC do all the audio management.

I have already tried Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 ($149), Klipsh ProMedia Heritage 2.1 ($349), and Audioengine A2+ ($229), all of which have unacceptable levels of idle hiss. I am currently demoing Razer Nommo Pro speakers ($599; $500 street), which have an acceptable level of idle hiss (not audible past about 8") but has an underperforming internal USB DAC for the price point: the USB Audio Class 1.0 interface is fixed at 16-bit 48kHz.

Recommendations?

Thank you all!
There is no magic. You cannot purchase excellent quality for little money. Quality costs.

For their price Yamaha HS5's are excellent. In my research they are unmatched in terms of sound and build quality at their price point. (I own 5 pairs). However, they will not begiin to match excellent quality monitors like Neumann's. Not even close. Neumann monitors have very very low noise. If you want low noise then you purchase Neumann monitors. You also get flat frequency response and low distortion.
20230115_182339.jpg

OP
S

SeanTek

There is no magic. You cannot purchase excellent quality for little money. Quality costs.

For their price Yamaha HS5's are excellent. In my research they are unmatched in terms of sound and build quality at their price point. (I own 5 pairs). However, they will not begiin to match excellent quality monitors like Neumann's. Not even close. Neumann monitors have very very low noise. If you want low noise then you purchase Neumann monitors. You also get flat frequency response and low distortion.

It's probably fair to say that the smallest Neumann, KH 80 @ $549 apiece x2 (plus Neumann subwoofer $1695) puts it out of budget for the use case. The Yamaha HS5 @ $199 x2 + sub ($499) seems like an acceptable value tradeoff for quality. It is clearly a step up from almost all consumer computer speaker price points, but I can see that it can be worth it if that is what you want.

That leaves the DAC. Any recommendations on stereo DACs, and what about getting a unit with balanced TRS, versus balanced XLR, versus unbalanced? My thought is that at such short distances, unbalanced probably does not matter: just use good cables. But the audiophile thought is if the speakers support TLS/XLR, you may as well take advantage of that connectivity.

DACs with XLR that I found, using this DAC XLR article as a starting point:
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M $549
Topping D30Pro $399
[headphone] Topping EX5 $349
[headphone] Topping DX5 $449
[headphone] Sabaj D5 Audio DAC (price unclear)
Schiit Audio Modius $229

DACs with balanced TRS:
Topping D10 Balanced $139
Topping E50 $199 [note: MQA and remote control, not worth the price difference for me]

I have not found any current PCIe internal sound cards with XLR support that make sense. AudioScience makes some but they are squarely aimed at professional production applications.

Last edited:
OP
S

SeanTek

Hmm, was hoping for more responses lol.

Of this list are any DACs particularly recommended or not recommended? It looks like Topping D10 Balanced is the cheapest of the lot, then Schiit Audio Modius. The differences on paper appear to be: Topping D10 Balanced uses XMOS XU208 for USB, ES9038Q2M for DAC, can do DSD256 and PCM 32-bit/384kHz, TRS only (no RCA) and SPDIF out (unneeded). Schiit Audio Modius uses Schiit Union USB, ESS ES9028 for DAC, can do PCM 24-bit/192kHz, XLR and RCA (RCA unneeded), and SPDIF in (coax, TOSLINK, AES--all not really needed for me, but maybe nice to have).

I read that Schiit does not support DSD as a philosophy (except Schiit Loki DSD from 10 years ago). I am on the fence about DSD myself, but it seems the main difference that I might appreciate is XMOS XU208 versus Schiit Union USB, and both ought to work just fine.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the upper limit of your budget? Kali IN-5 or IN-8 v2 speakers may work well for you. SIGNIFICANTLY less hiss than their old models. They do run about 700-800 and I wouldn't call them bass monsters as they aim more for low distortion than deep extension.

If you were in the ballpark of $2000 you might be able to get a pair of Phantom Reactors. Fairly smooth, amazing bass at low volumes so you can still hear it (due to equal loudness contours/the fletcher munsen curver showing that we are less sensitive to bass at low volumes.)

I used to have a pair of Harman Kardon Soundsticks and don't recall them hissing in my very quiet college dorm room. Version 3 I think? Just not great speakers as they kind of miss some frequencies, but not horrible either.

The TASCAM that I used to record did have a high noise floor though on high gain.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For DAC search the Review Index - Audio Electronic with key on SINAD. For a sub it doesn't matter most part (nothing to reprocu hiss in amplifier stage).
Good luck and happy hunting.

teashea

Hmm, was hoping for more responses lol.

Of this list are any DACs particularly recommended or not recommended? It looks like Topping D10 Balanced is the cheapest of the lot, then Schiit Audio Modius. The differences on paper appear to be: Topping D10 Balanced uses XMOS XU208 for USB, ES9038Q2M for DAC, can do DSD256 and PCM 32-bit/384kHz, TRS only (no RCA) and SPDIF out (unneeded). Schiit Audio Modius uses Schiit Union USB, ESS ES9028 for DAC, can do PCM 24-bit/192kHz, XLR and RCA (RCA unneeded), and SPDIF in (coax, TOSLINK, AES--all not really needed for me, but maybe nice to have).

I read that Schiit does not support DSD as a philosophy (except Schiit Loki DSD from 10 years ago). I am on the fence about DSD myself, but it seems the main difference that I might appreciate is XMOS XU208 versus Schiit Union USB, and both ought to work just fine.
Read the test report topics here on ASR. There are a lot of them and they are very revealing. In general almost all of the newer ones are excellent.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Hi, I'm new here...

Recommendations?

Thank you all!
Are you sure the hiss is caused by the speakers? I own the promedia 2.1 and there is no hiss that I can hear (and I am someone who gets very irritated by hiss). I set my PC volume to 100% and use very low volume level on the promedia itself

Last edited:

gmoney

Steel series Arena 7.

I've heard many of the speakers you've tried and really didn't hear any idle hiss from any of them unless I put my ear near the driver.

OP
S

SeanTek

Are you sure the hiss is caused by the speakers? I own the promedia 2.1 and there is no hiss that I can hear (and I am someone who gets very irritated by hiss). I set my PV volume to 100% and use very low volume level on the promedia itself
Unfortunately yes, there is hiss. Like I said my criteria is any audible hiss in a "normal" residential room (not an anechoic chamber, with a window), with the computer and any other electronics off, at a distance of 8-12" (20-30cm). The Promedia 2.1 does have hiss under this criteria. I even disconnected it from any inputs, and there is still hiss. For this test, I am willing to buy one set of speakers from a reputable source (in this case, from klipsch.com itself, so no counterfeit goods). If it fails the criteria, then it goes back.

OP
S

SeanTek

Steel series Arena 7.

I've heard many of the speakers you've tried and really didn't hear any idle hiss from any of them unless I put my ear near the driver.
I will try those next. Already placed an order.

How is the USB DAC on the SteelSeries Arena 7? What are the USB DAC specs (bit depth and sample rate)? What are the TOSLINK connection's capabilities?

Digby

Major Contributor
I have been looking for awhile for a nice set of powered "consumer" speakers, 2.1 configuration, for desktop, near-field use to use with PC music and gaming. The most important factor for me is to have no audible hiss at close range, which I define as 12" (30cm) or more (ideally no hiss past 8" or 20cm).
It depends what you mean by no hiss. Some actives have very low hiss only heard in the quietest of rooms, others are rather louder. From 30cm away, then I think what you'd be better doing is trying passive speakers and then you can always change amplification to suit. This is one area where passives can shine, in that VERY few active speakers seemed to be designed for an utterly quiet room.

OP
S

SeanTek

[...] trying passive speakers and then you can always change amplification to suit. This is one area where passives can shine, in that VERY few active speakers seemed to be designed for an utterly quiet room.

Yes, that is a possibility. I created a different thread to ask for suggested passive speakers + integrated USB DAC/amps. The problem with that "approach" is there are so many passive speakers on the market, and ultimately it comes down to personal preferences. It appears there are not quite as many integrated stereo 2.1 USB DAC amps but there are more than a few and the ones that I/we have identified, also come with unnecessary features (almost everything these days supports Bluetooth, for example), and not all have line out for subwoofers.

Sticking to this thread on active speakers, I found the Yamaha AG03 MK II ($189.99), which has balanced TRS out in addition to high-resolution mic in, all at 24-bit/192kHz. I own the AG03 original and have been satisfied with it, but it is limited in its resolution. Given that it slots in the price range of Topping D10 Balanced / Schiit Audio Modius (~$120-230) and is much less than the Topping D30Pro / Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M (~$400-550), perhaps that is worth a good look. No DSD support but I can live without that format.

Arnas

I use Edifier s3000pro and hear no hiss.
S360db might be even better for desktop i have to admit. Edifier is focused on low noise so you are guaranteed to have high snr.

OP
S

SeanTek

Hi all I wanted to follow up on this thread, nine months later.

I ended up going with Topping D10 Balanced paired with Kali LP-6v2 back in March 2023. The Topping D10 Balanced does not have a subwoofer out, but the Kali LP-6v2 puts out enough bass by itself that we decided against adding a subwoofer. I have been happy with the results so far.

There is no audible hiss from the Kali LP-6v2 woofer. The hiss from the tweeter is inaudible after about 8 inches so it is acceptable.

The main downside is that the Kali LP-6v2 speakers are quite big for the current desk. A 4" driver size would be better for future recommendations, but I was unable to locate any. Any suggestions for smaller speakers would be appreciated.

OP
S

SeanTek

If it helps, attached is a picture of the Kali LP-6v2 speakers at the listening position.
IMG_3817.jpg

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I think if you go smaller a sub might be needed to get decent bass. Also, going smaller it would not be able to play as loud but that might not be an issue depending on your listening level.

Are you looking for the same price range as the LP-6?
iLoud micro comes to mind.
Adam T5V and JBL LSR-305 are a little smaller

More money but Kef LSX II

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main downside is that the Kali LP-6v2 speakers are quite big for the current desk. A 4" driver size would be better for future recommendations, but I was unable to locate any. Any suggestions for smaller speakers would be appreciated.
The IN5 will save you half an inch of width on each monitor. Not much and it's 5" but at some point you're going to need a 2.1 system with a subwoofer and a way to integrate it with a MiniDSP or a studio sub that can handle the crossover and such.

Prices go up quick for that kind of thing.

Or, the Kali IN-UNF may be suitable for you... It's a woofer built into a monitor stand, two large apple sized satellite midrange/tweeter coaxial drivers. Would work perfectly for your setup I think.

1704650712430.png

Top Bottom