• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powerbank keep-alive to power low current 5V devices

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, electrolytic can be used as well.
>10V is fine.
6.3V is on the low side of things.
I used tantalum because of it's SMD size.

But-_-why

Well, I soldered the board and it didn't work with 2 my powerbanks.
I know, I must be messed up with something, so if anyone can check my board with the scheme and point out what is wrong - it will be very apprecciated.
So far I have checked the usb "lines" through the board and resistances: 32.5 Ohm between pins 3 and 4, 100 KOhm between pins 7 and 8, 102KOhm between 6 and 8, and 2 KOhms between 6 and 7. Pins 2 and 6 are connected, so are pins 4 and 8. Then, 100nf cap between pins 1 and 5, electrolytic 4.7uF cap between pin 1 ( cap "-") and 2 (cap "+"). The timer itself was also checked prior to soldering via "blinking diodes testboard", but i'm not excluding variant, that i've damaged it thermally during soldering somehow, 'cause my soldering skills are at zero level. Devices, connected to female usb socket of the board works normally, so +5v and GND lines are Ok.

IMG_20210722_160323.jpg
IMG_20210722_155627.jpg
IMG_20210722_160027.jpg
IMG_20210722_160618.jpg

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Which 555 did you use. Some equivalents can't draw enough current on it's 'sink' output.

What you can do is replace the 33 ohm with a LED + 100 ohm resistor and see if it blinks periodically.
When it does put the 33 ohm in parallel. Should still blink.

Then, after this is confirmed to work you may have to tweak the pulse width or frequency. Not all powerbanks are created equal.

But-_-why

All components are from Aliexpress, so we can call them 'generic'.
The led is blinking though.
powerbank).gif
Should have built it on breadboard first to test, I suppose..

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The circuit is meant to be used in parallel to another device that doesn't draw enough current for the powerbank to detect.
It is not meant to be used without any extra load. If you want to use it for this you will have to change the pulse width so by increasing the 2k2.

MCH

Major Contributor
Almost all the powerbanks i ever had had a "trick" to keep them on with low consumption devices, or even without anything plugged, the so called "always on mode". For instance in my current one it works pressing two times fast its only button (not disclosed in the manual) In others was pression it once for a couple of seconds... from what i read in google, they all have something like that. Hope it helps!

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Almost all the powerbanks i ever had had a "trick" to keep them on with low consumption devices, or even without anything plugged, the so called "always on mode".

Mine (Varta 57971) doesn't have this nor is it documented that it can do this.

MCH

Major Contributor
hm, sorry cant help you with that specific one. My current one is a Poweradd Energycell 15000 and the always-on mode is set double pushing the button when the battery is on (lights start blinking differently). This is not disclosed in any manual, i found it out trying the different combinations i found in the internet for other models.
This keeps my rasp pi zero w+allo miniboss dac working for a few days, i dont even bother switching it off, until the environmental concious me takes control :)
As mentioned, other brands use other combinations. Example with explanation: https://voltaicsystems.com/always-on-batteries/
probably best to check before ordering

But-_-why

The circuit is meant to be used in parallel to another device that doesn't draw enough current for the powerbank to detect.
It is not meant to be used without any extra load. If you want to use it for this you will have to change the pulse width so by increasing the 2k2.
That video made just to show led blinking. Of course i tried it with load.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That video made just to show led blinking. Of course i tried it with load.

When the powerbank still shuts off even with the intended load you need to change the duty cycle by changing the 2k2 value (higher value = high current is drawn longer = higher overall extra current draw.

But-_-why

When the powerbank still shuts off even with the intended load you need to change the duty cycle by changing the 2k2 value (higher value = high current is drawn longer = higher overall extra current draw.
Yeah, i've seen from ne555 calculator link you provided, that increasing R3 will increase duty cycle, and seen from usb-doctor that even 70mA is enough for one powerbank to stay on so I left R1 as it is and played a bit with R3 - 68KOhm seems to work at least for one of two powerbanks (PS 47KOhm is good too, but 20KOhm and below - not). That is enough for me. Thanks.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

PS Knowing all this nuances, may be it will be better to build such board tunable, with ponentiometers for R1 and R3, as it turns out that for some powerbanks the value of current drain is more important, than duty cycle, and for others it is otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Never designed a board for it. But indeed, best to use pots.

Top Bottom